Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Xboxlive not working for me

• 02-11-2010 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hi all, just looking for a wee bit of help.

I purchased xbox live for first time yesterday ,set it up wirelessly and registered etc and all was going well till i tried to sign back in after doing another upgrade, now all i get is a spinning circle icon..

Isee on xbox live status that there 'maybe a problem with new accounts etc', but im just wondering is this a message that is always displayed or did it just go up and hence explains my problem..

Thanks again from an xbox newbie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

connect it by enternet cable then update it,should work.tbh
    you should use it this way all the time,otherwise will get
    bad lag,ie die a lot or not get the kills,imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Sgt.Peppers

i take it you have the adapter yea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭kildare75

Yea I have the network adaptor. Looks like it's a live problem as on xbox.com it says as much. Anyways il try connecting a cable tomorrow if not fixed. Many thanks lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

deco nate wrote: »
    you should use it this way all the time,otherwise will get
    bad lag,ie die a lot or not get the kills,imo

Not true.you either have a good connection or you dont(presuming you have the cop on to make sure you're in range of your wireless)I use wireless and nearly always have 4 bars.raely suffer lag on MW2/MW1 or any other online game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    Not true.you either have a good connection or you dont(presuming you have the cop on to make sure you're in range of your wireless)I use wireless and nearly always have 4 bars.raely suffer lag on MW2/MW1 or any other online game
    fair enough.but its not about bars,its about ping.
    if you are in the room as your wireless,then yes.
    if in another part of the house,then no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

No Im not in same room as my wireless router.have a ping of 38ms,d/l at 6.7Mbs(8meg line) and an up load of .7 meg.

The packets sent for online gaming are tiny.Games can be played on a 1 meg line.And your right ping is every thing for online gaming but there should not be too much of difference(in ping) between wired/wireless(in the same house).

Having said that distance/wall thickness and other stuff can affect the wireless strength.

Sorry if I came across as picking a row:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

Yes, and no. Ping is important, but so is packet loss. Poor signal strength can result in packets sent both to and from your console not completing their journey, and while the ones that do arrive may do so in a timely fashion/with a low ping, the non-arrival of the others can make for a similarly poor experience.

Also, wired v wireless as a LAN carrier doesn't generally improve the ping that much unless the wireless LAN is overloaded, and a lot of queuing has to be done. A wireless link between your router and the greater internet, however, can have very bad latency. With that in mind, someone with a strong wireless signal, on a network that isn't swamped with clients or interfered with by a neighbouring network, will not suffer compared to a user with a wired connection.

Advertisement