Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone tried DTT in Greystones yet?

Options
  • 02-11-2010 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

Just trying it there now, but aerial is not picking up anything. According to this website there is an infill transmitter right next to us but I'm still not getting anything. Tested the same device in Dublin when they were only doing testing and it picked up all the channels.

Now, I am testing with the aerial pointing away from where the transmitter is but that shouldn't make a difference right?

Thinking of hooking my USB tuner up to the satellite (on my house from the previous tenant) since the tuner has a generic coax in but I really don't think it'll make a huge difference.

Anyone else test it yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

might be better off asking on the Terrestrial TV board (its under Tech->Cable&Digital) - there was someone there a while back reporting good DTT reception from the Greystones transmitter (which is on Kindlestown Hill). Its definitely operational.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Greystones is a bit hit and miss for terrestrial reception of any kind.
    The only proper way to do it is by using a digital meter. The meter will tell yu when you are pointing the aerial the right way and how powerful amplifier you will need for the transmission.
    My meter cost 5k euro which is why it may be bat to hire someone to check for you.
    I am in C Wood and could get dtt from original 3rock transmitter when it started testing couple of years back, this is with the correct aerial and mast head amplifier installed.

What kind of aerial are you using, and what group is it, there are many? Is it the correct group for the transmission frequency? Have you installed the aerial in your attic or on chimney? Are there larger houses, tRees or buildings in front of your line of site? Have you installed the aerial horizontal or vertical? Do you get a good non digital picture through the aerial?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

I have on old portable tv with original attached circular aerial and a £20 set top box which is at the bedroom window in full view of tx at Kindlestown Hill. Receives Irish DTT 99% of the time with great picture.
    Also received uk Freeview channels once when doing a rescan about 7/8 months ago no luck since.
    Have anther tv hooked up to an aerial in the attic via a PS3 & play TV tuner which also receives Irish DTT even though it's pointed to sea looking for UK channels. Again Irish channels are fine.& with PS3 can record also.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

I guess you guys will be able to answer this. One of the houses behind me in the Court occasionally has a really tall (height of the house) and very thin aerial in the back garden thats supported by rope to the chimney and back fence. Well, I guess its an aerial!
    Any ideas what this is used for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Down in Charlesland here, with an indoor uhf aerial, I am getting perfect reception.

101 RTE 1
    102 RTE 2
    103 RTE NL 1 Test Channel (This is where TV3 will end up)
    104 TG4
    105 RTE News Now

And wait for it: 106 RTE NL2 Test channel in HD!

There are also the following Radio Channels:

200 RTE Radio 1
    201 RTE Radio 1 Extra
    202 RTE 2FM
    203 Lyric FM
    204 Radio Na Gealteacht
    205 RTE Pulse
    206 RTE 2XM
    207 RTE Choice
    208 RTE Gold
    209 RTE Chill/RTEJunior

I tried the analogue and I never got a good recpetion. The digital is a huge improvement. The trick to getting brilliant recpetion is to point the aerial at the Greystones Relay located up the back of Delgany but to have the aerial polarised (positioned) vertically.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

Mullie wrote: »
    I guess you guys will be able to answer this. One of the houses behind me in the Court occasionally has a really tall (height of the house) and very thin aerial in the back garden thats supported by rope to the chimney and back fence. Well, I guess its an aerial!
    Any ideas what this is used for?

Sounds like an aerial for listening to radio communications like CB radio, HAM and stuff.

***edit - both listening and broadcasting.

d31b0y wrote: »
    Now, I am testing with the aerial pointing away from where the transmitter is but that shouldn't make a difference right?

I'm not hugely knowledgeable on this one but the UHF aerial has the looped end and would have thought it needs to be pointed in the right direction!

a77fz.jpg

I have always thought this is the important part of the aerial, catching the rest of the signal at the end....I stand to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

astrofluff wrote: »
    Down in Charlesland here, with an indoor uhf aerial, I am getting perfect reception.

101 RTE 1
    <snip>
    209 RTE Chill/RTEJunior

I tried the analogue and I never got a good reception. The digital is a huge improvement. The trick to getting brilliant reception is to point the aerial at the Greystones Relay located up the back of Delgany but to have the aerial polarised (positioned) vertically.

Thanks Astro, that's exactly what I was looking for. It's strange the dongle isn't picking up any channels for me. I'm thinking maybe the drivers aren't fully compatible with Win7... was running xp on my work PC. Might try Xp mode on my home pc, see if that makes a difference.

Does your tuner tell you what frequency the channels are coming in on? My tuner scans the whole band and takes ages to complete.
    I'm not hugely knowledgeable on this one but the UHF aerial has the looped end and would have thought it needs to be pointed in the right direction!

a77fz.jpg

I have always thought this is the important part of the aerial, catching the rest of the signal at the end....I stand to be corrected.

I'm using one of these. Haven't connected it to an external aerial yet.

from memory its channel 56...will check it out later.

see this forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055348269

edit****Just doubled checked, it's the first of the frequencies listed - Channel 52

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Thanks. My device lists the frequencies in KHz. For anyone interested it's the 722000 KHz range.

Will try again later today and point any q's towards the Terrestrial TV board ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

a77fz.jpg

The looped portion is the main element i.e. a folded dipole. The ancillary pieces in front act as directors and the one behind is a reflector. The purpose of the ancillaries is to concentrate the signal on the folded dipole.

You should have no problem in Charlesland receiving a signal from the Kindlestown relay.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrickpc

101 RTE 1
    102 RTE 2
    103 RTE NL 1 Test Channel (This is where TV3 will end up)
    104 TG4
    105 RTE News Now

And wait for it: 106 RTE NL2 Test channel in HD!

There are also the following Radio Channels:

200 RTE Radio 1
    201 RTE Radio 1 Extra
    202 RTE 2FM
    203 Lyric FM
    204 Radio Na Gealteacht
    205 RTE Pulse
    206 RTE 2XM
    207 RTE Choice
    208 RTE Gold
    209 RTE Chill/RTEJunior

I tried the analogue and I never got a good recpetion. The digital is a huge improvement. The trick to getting brilliant recpetion is to point the aerial at the Greystones Relay located up the back of Delgany but to have the aerial polarised (positioned) vertically.

Hi there. I am located just behind the tennis club with a good line of sight view of the transmitter from the rooftop aerial - about 3km away. I am getting good DTT reception most of the time - channel 52 as per previous contributor. The signal was very weak until I installed a Masthead amplifier with a 12v power supply to boost it. I am also getting a pretty good analogue signal which is useful as TV3 is not being broadcast on DTT just yet.

This may be a stupid question but can you please clarify what you mean by having the aerial polarised vertically. Does this mean that the metal spurs are pointed skywards as opposed to horizontally ?

Thanks.

yes, the polarisation for vertical means you need the antenna twisted so the 'ancillary peices', as described by danjo, point skywards and down to the ground - vertical polarisation.

The picture of the antenna above shows it in horizontal.

Advertisement