Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clearing an English Bike

• 02-11-2010 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Whats the story now with clearing an english bike. I hear it has changed for cars where they have to bring the car to the NCT test centre for an inspection. What do you do with a bike?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

You need to take the bike to be 'inspected' at a NCT test centre.
    You can book this by calling this number: 1890 927 787

You need to book within 7 days of the bike arriving in Ireland (I think).
    You need to take the following documents with you:
    - the V5
    - proof of your address (utility bill or bank statment)
    - Proof of ID (passport)
    - proof of PPS (payslip or PPS card)
    - proof of purchase, showing sale price (receipt, if you buy private, get the seller to write one out for you, and both of you can sign it)

VRT calculator here:
    https://www.ros.ie/V...wBikeCalculator

More info here:
    http://ncts.ie/vrt.html

When you have done this, and got your Irish plate, you can pay the tax.

Tax info here:
    https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/welcome.do

QED

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

Cheers...could be fun sorting this out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

It is not as difficult as it seems.

Have you already bought the bike?

ya have it about a year and a half!

No receipt either..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Pm me. I've just helped a relative clear his.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Clearing mine Friday, I'll let ya know how I get on.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Clearing mine Friday, I'll let ya know how I get on.

That would be great.The plan is to clear it over the winter as it will be in the garage for most of it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

what kind of inspection is involved, just frame and engine number? my bike has no mudguards, clocks or indicators at the moment, is it like an NCT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

without clocks, I'd imagine there might be some issue when they go to check the mileage..

i understand that but what are they cross referencing the mileage against? anything could or may not be written on a UK V5 and you can hang any clock on a bike to pass inspection, why would they need to know the mileage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

as you may be liable for VAT if the bike is deemed to have 'too few miles'

6000 km iirc - but could certainly be wrong

yeah, that's a point, says 6 months old OR 6000km, guess if you had a 1923 sunbeam with 5000km it gets classed as new???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

yeah, that's a point, says 6 months old OR 6000km, guess if you had a 1923 sunbeam with 5000km it gets classed as new???

...lol, not at all, sure isn't on it's SECOND lap of the clock ? ...it's 106,000 you're looking at........:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The good news is that it's now less then 3 months or less then 3000km to be condsidered new, makes a lot more UK bikes viable:D

That was easy, quick check of chassis number and mileage then hand over the specified paperwork.

99 sheckels and a 5 minute wait then given your new reg. number.

Now to get a plate made...

KamiKazi wrote: »
    That was easy, quick check of chassis number and mileage then hand over the specified paperwork.

99 sheckels and a 5 minute wait then given your new reg. number.

Now to get a plate made...

Did they look for a receipt of the bike or did they ask you how long you have it etc?

hondavfr wrote: »
    Did they look for a receipt of the bike or did they ask you how long you have it etc?

Had a reciept, was written and signed when I bought the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Del2005 wrote: »
    The good news is that it's now less then 3 months or less then 3000km to be condsidered new, makes a lot more UK bikes viable:D

That's not actually correct, it's still 6k for the purposes of VAT. 3k for the purposes of testing the vehicle.

Found that out just before bringing in a bike with 3.5k on the clock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

colm_c wrote: »
    That's not actually correct, it's still 6k for the purposes of VAT. 3k for the purposes of testing the vehicle.

Found that out just before bringing in a bike with 3.5k on the clock!
    That's crazy. Must be really stuck for cash. I'd say some people will be caught out by this.

Advertisement