Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a Telephone Patch/Distibution panel?

Options
  • 02-11-2010 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I have all the gear for my home network sorted except for a way of patching the phone line into my main CAT6 panel. I would like if the unit was rack mountable but it's not completely neccessary.

Anybody have any ideas where I could pickup a unit like this in Ireland or the UK?

SmartHome Technology has two nice panels (shown below) that would be ideal.

RJ45 Panel - This would be my preference if the price was right.

project15.jpg

IDC Panel

project4.jpg

Cheers..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

How many phone points will you have?

I've just split the phone after the ADSL filter into two and plugged the RJ11s into my normal patch panel. I bought RJ11->RJ45 adapters for this (google TP60).

Not sure if the modules below will give you anything else but the above works for me.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I'll have two lines coming in and then 2-3 phone points per line.

How did you split the line into two? Also, i've read on here that it's a bad idea to plug RJ11 into RJ45 sockets. It will damage them.

Thanks for the info on the converters, i'm going to need some of them. Where did you buy yours? This crowd?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

techguy wrote: »
    Also, i've read on here that it's a bad idea to plug RJ11 into RJ45 sockets. It will damage them.

The housing of the RJ11 jack pushes the outermost pins on the 45 socket down further than they're designed to go, which might make them not connect properly to an RJ45 jack if you need to use one later. If you're willing to pay for the adaptors then there's no reason to try.

edit: and of course, that assumes you've aligned it correctly, otherwise you'll be pushing different pins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Correct, I found that some RJ45 modules accepted RJ11 plugs no problem, but some were terrible to line up properly.

I just used a 1-to-2 RJ11 splitter.

Those adapters are incredibly difficult to find for some reason, I got mine from:
    http://www.openxtra.co.uk/p/rj11rj45-adapter-jack-2-pieces-tp60
    (I work in the UK so just brought them back with me).

Of course the other option is to crimp RJ45 plugs onto the phone cable, I think you just use the centre two pins. I'll probably do this at some stage, the reason I didn't was that I broke my crimpers :-(

SSE

Advertisement