Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Salt and Vinegar Quest

Options
  • 02-11-2010 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

I am on a quest to find the best Salt and Vinegar Crisps. The rules are open. Not strictly just salt and vinegar. This includes Sea Salt, Malt Vinegar, Balsamic Vingear etc. So far I have come up with the following.

1. Kettle Chips - Sea Salt and Balsamis Vinegar.
    An elusive crisp. This is possibly the reason why I love it so. You go to the Crisp section expecting to see it nestled in amongst it's Kettle Brothers and Sisters only to be let down time and time again. Tastalicious.

2. Red Rock Deli - Sea Salt and Balsamic Vinegar.
    Oh how I miss Australia's weather and out going outlook. And these amazingly delicious Crisps. If you have not been to Australia yet Go for these. I mean it. Ayers Rock and the Great Barrier Reef are cool but pale in comparison to the pleasure you get from visiting this little pleasure. Yum.

3. Tayto Bistro - Salt and Vinegar.
    The local hero. Pulling out all the punches flavour wise to keep up with it's more exotic and elusive competitors. It's strong and robust. It is a Bistro/up market take on Tayto but that Bistro happens to be in Mullingar. Tasty unpretentious crisp.

Please tell me I am missing an amazing crisp to break into my top 3 and blow my taste buds outta the water.. Please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Melissa89

I love Tyrrells Cider Vinegar and Sea Salt crisps. They're my faves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

Walkers sensations balsamic vinegar and caramelised onion, yummy

Sorry Sajan, I may be breaking the rules here (they do have salt in them, just not in the name):o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

They kinda do have to have Salt in the name.. Or any variation of salt.

An honourable mention will go to M&S Salt and Vinegar full on flavour range. You know the ones in the big silver plain bag.. Nose twitchingly strong flavour.. Yeeaaaahhh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Good call on your number one. I'm not even a crisps fan, but Kettle Chips, delish!

Picked up a few bags of them in Tesco today. The looks of envy were ridiculous.. I was nearly jumped. :)

Any others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It pi***s me off that almost all S&V crisps on the market are sweet (they nearly all have sugar and/or artificial sweetener in them.
    Why?????:eek::eek::eek:

Hunky Dory's don't but they are a very harsh S&V flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Red sky cider vinegar and sea salt are a fave of my OH, it's not the weekend without them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭cml387

Tesco had a Cider vinegar flavour. Highly recommended.
    +1 on Tayto Bistro S&V.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

My Top 3:
    • Real McCoys Crinkled S+V
    • Walkers Baked S+V (very hard to get these days - but found them in Dunnes Ilac centre this week)
    • Chipsticks... technically not crisps... but make fantatic sandwich filler!

As for kettle crisps.. they remind me of soggy greasy crisps that we used to make at home when those moulinex food processors were in style...

i.e Absolutely awful!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Lidl do they own Brand Sea salt & Balsamic Vinegar they match up to the more well known brands and come in a big bag :)

• Advertisement

geecee wrote: »
    My Top 3:
    • Real McCoys Crinkled S+V
    • Walkers Baked S+V (very hard to get these days - but found them in Dunnes Ilac centre this week)
    • Chipsticks... technically not crisps... but make fantatic sandwich filler!

As for kettle crisps.. they remind me of soggy greasy crisps that we used to make at home when those moulinex food processors were in style...

i.e Absolutely awful!

Blasphemous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

It was salt and vinegar discos FTW back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I used to love Salt and Vinegar Discos.

They don't taste like they used to now though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭smallgarden

love hunky dorys, theyre so strong they sting nearly!
    and mini chips!theyre like they took hunky dorys and sliced them into little bits,mmmmm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Loved the Disco's,miss them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

S&V frisps were awesome up until recent enough, they taste a bit greasy now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭dmc17

McCoys for me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

Melissa89 wrote: »
    I love Tyrrells Cider Vinegar and Sea Salt crisps. They're my faves.

Me too! :D

Not a huge fan of their cheese and onion though... but the Salt & Vinegar are the biz! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

It has to be hunky doreys - they make my lips numb :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

They're not crisps, I know, but you're looking for a really powerful Salt and Vinegar blast like the old Discos used to deliver.

Give KP Salt and Vinegar peanuts a go. They will without a doubt blow your taste buds out of the water. They are eye-wateringly vinegary! :)

As for actual crisps I guess Hunky Dorys are pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Pittybitty

love hunky dorys, theyre so strong they sting nearly!
    and mini chips!theyre like they took hunky dorys and sliced them into little bits,mmmmm!

Do they still make mini chips? I used to love them! Please tell me where they stock them?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Chipsticks salt and vinegar are great hangover food.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

janeybabe wrote: »
    I used to love Salt and Vinegar Discos.

They don't taste like they used to now though. :(

Does anyone remember they used to include little extra packets of "salt", im sure it wasn't salt, but what ever it was it was yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

I've not seen them over here but seabrook salt and vinegar are awesome. U can get them in northern England.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Red Sky do a beautiful bag of S&V crisps!
    No votes for the S&V Pringles no? Always sidelined I think, but they are super vinegary!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Tesco Salt and Vinegar Twirls are the greatest S&V crisp ever. Buy a bag, and buy a second back-up bag. And then eat both immediately. *Droooool*

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It was salt and vinegar discos FTW back in the day.
    BOOM!
    /thread imo
    how did it take 13 posts to get mentioned

Seriously, I opened this thread with the sole purpose of posting discos FTW
    They're not crisps, I know, but you're looking for a really powerful Salt and Vinegar blast like the old Discos used to deliver.

Little Alex, go to bed. They are quite clearly crisps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Not crisps, but salt & vinegar Snack-a-Jacks are LOVELY.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Tipperary crisps deserve a mention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

My favourite salt and vinegar crisps are still the same as when I was a kid- banshee bones!! Actually those snack-a-jack rice cakes taste really like them emeraldstar!!

Advertisement