Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney Cleaning - Landlord or Tenant

Options
  • 02-11-2010 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi

I began renting a house in April this year. Ever since i moved in soot has been falling down the chimney and spilling out onto the hearth and floor. I emailed by agent a while back to explain that as winter was approaching the chimney should probably be cleaned as i was afraid to light the fire in case id end up calling out the fire brigade! Anyway she has got back to me now saying that i should incur this cost myself. It is not clear from the lease but i feel that as i have never lit a fire it shouldnt be up to me to pay. Is this not a safety maintenance issue as with boiler maintenance etc?

Please advise

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you've never used it, you have no obligation to clean it. How much soot is coming out?

You might write back and confirm that you are to get a chimney sweep and deduct it from the rent.

Alternatively, you will be billing the landlord for the carpet cleaning / fire brigade call out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jayjay80

cheers, i emailed the agent when i got your reply to say that i would be claiming off the landlords insurance should i need to call the fire brigade as i had forewarned them of the problem. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

As far as I know it is the Landlords responsibility to have the chimney cleaned at the start od the tenancy. It is the tenants responsibility to have it cleaned during there stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jamar

Although it's a small risk - better to clean the chimney and argue over the bill, than light the fire. You have no idea when it was last used.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Jamar wrote: »
    Although it's a small risk - better to clean the chimney and argue over the bill, than light the fire. You have no idea when it was last used.

+1 for your own health and safety if you really want to light a fire go get it cleaned yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

We've lived in rented houses with open fires for 4 years. See it as a maintenance issue and have always deducted it from the rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If its never been done, I think the landlord should do it the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

It is the landlords responsibility, no doubt about it.

Don't light a fire until it's done though!

Advertisement