Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop with faulty wan miniport - wireless options?

Options
  • 02-11-2010 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

I have cable broadband through UPC - Dell Inspiron 6400 with wi-fi

Is it posible to set up a wireless router without a functioning Wan mini-port?

Through laziness I never bothered setting up a wireless router and only used a yellow ethernet cable.
    Which was fine until one of my kittens grabbed onto it and after a lengthy call to Dell tech support
    I've been told I'll need a new motherboard if I want to use the Wan miniport again

so wireless, usb or firewire are my only options for an internet connection

At the min I'm using a Vodafone usb dongle, it's ok but tempermental
    Whatever I get I'll need it to work with the laptop and my ps3 which the upc connection is now plugged into

In the past I'd an eircom wireless router
    I was offered a used Netgear wgr614 a year ago, but we could never get it to fully connect,
    it always only appeared as local only network and the connection symbol had a yellow triangle in front of it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

eircom router have a built in modem which support DSL connection, you have UPC which its cable, all you need is a wireless router that supports cable and you will have everything connected to it with wireless and cables :)

Advertisement