Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mini Alloys

Options
  • 03-11-2010 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Does anyone know what size alloys i would be able to put on an old style austin mini? I am looking into buying a mini and was just wondering what is the maximum size alloys that will fit/look right on a mini?

If you can help it will be appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Blue Punto

howya Muller

if if an erlier model mini it will have 10 inch wheels and really thats as much as i would put on them

A set of 165/70/10 tyres look great on the small wheel

If its a later car 1984 onwards it will come on standard 12 inch wheels

you can upgrade again to 13 inch wheel but I found the ride terrible to be honest and went back to 12 inch wheels on my car

Again a nice set of 165 tyres will look great on it

The later sportspack models came with 13inch as standard but Im not a fan of them

If your planning on going large with the wheels prepare yourself as you will need to modify the arches to stop rubbing etc

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 45 muller25

its a 94 mini i wanted to put 15inc alloys on it dont have the mini yet was just interested to know what the deal was. From reading your post 15inc is quite a stretch.

Thanks for the advice appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 aerox___mental

i had a fully modified 94 mini at all the shows and as a daily driver i hated the custom such expensive wheels......they where 14 and cost a bomb.....on yokahama tyres...grip unreal...handling crap and very hard on the shafts......

problem is all you will be saying if ya go any bigger than 12's

thanks wanted to get WRC oz racing superturizmo alloys and the smallist they come in are 15 so i guess thats out the window now. Planning on doing a mini vtec conversion in the summer so the mini definitely wont handle well or have a good ride with a vtec in the front.

Appreciate all the help!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Blue Punto

a mini vtec conversion in the summer so the mini definitely wont handle well or have a good ride with a vtec in the front

Definataly wrong there

they handle fantastic and go as though they are on rails.12/13 inch wheels are perfect for this conversion

When the Vtec kicks in the power is unreal and you will embarrass a good few Subaru etc drivers etc

Watsons in the UK do what is regarded as the best kit to modify a mini with a VTEC ,you shoud check them out .

the mini 16v club have a forum for this stuff to and covers all kind of engine conversions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 aerox___mental

Blue Punto wrote: »
    Definataly wrong there

they handle fantastic and go as though they are on rails.12/13 inch wheels are perfect for this conversion

When the Vtec kicks in the power is unreal and you will embarrass a good few Subaru etc drivers etc

Watsons in the UK do what is regarded as the best kit to modify a mini with a VTEC ,you shoud check them out .

the mini 16v club have a forum for this stuff to and covers all kind of engine conversions

i agree here too.....it will piss all over many skylines too....

there is a couple of converted ones up here and one of them commutes to dublin for work 3 times a week and drives the rest of he time around town....class....

specially when the typical civic is up your nut and wants past.....drop goes the gear......vtteteeeccccc....brap brap brap......gone...

there faces ....priceless....

I can't wait until the summer hopefully i will have the funds to do the conversion.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Blue Punto wrote: »
    The later sportspack models came with 13inch as standard but Im not a fan of them/QUOTE]

And were slower cars due to the extra wind drag. Poor turning circle than standard too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Anything bigger than 12x5's (wider OR taller) and the front arches will need to be cut back to let the wheels turn. Go bigger than 13's and the rear inner arches will need to be tubbed.
    Anything bigger than12x5's usually results in poorer handling.
    Most people would prefer to have 165 10's on a mini as they suit it perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

If you are doing a watson honda conversion forget about 10" wheels because you would need to spend a fortune on the best discs and pads money can buy.
    I would use 13" superlites with 4 pot calipers and vented discs.
    You will need to trim up front arches a shade.
    Check out 16V mini club.

• Advertisement
Advertisement