Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bale

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Great to see him come out and say this, any potential signing will be thinking Spurs is a great place to come and play!
    SuprSi wrote: »
    Bale also admitted he enjoys the extra attention he receives from opposition fans. “I get more abuse than anyone away from home,” said the Wales international.

“You get used to it. I suppose it’s a compliment, that they don’t want you doing anything good, they try to put you off. It’s all good fun and games.”

This quote makes me think of West Ham away, Spammers were singing monkey chants at him throughout the whole game and then....... BOOM!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Great to see him come out and say this, any potential signing will be thinking Spurs is a great place to come and play!

This quote makes me think of West Ham away, Spammers were singing monkey chants at him throughout the whole game and then....... BOOM!!

Whatever bale says cannot be taken at face value. No footballer will turn down a move to madrid to stay at spurs - that is simple and i wouldnt expect him to turn it down either.
    If an offer of 60 million comes in then spurs will accept and bale will go - simple as that.

We are not a big enough club to turn down that kind of money, nor are we a big enough club to offer bale the platform which he deserves for the remainder of his career.

mickman wrote: »
    Whatever bale says cannot be taken at face value. No footballer will turn down a move to madrid to stay at spurs - that is simple and i wouldnt expect him to turn it down either.
    If an offer of 60 million comes in then spurs will accept and bale will go - simple as that.

We are not a big enough club to turn down that kind of money, nor are we a big enough club to offer bale the platform which he deserves for the remainder of his career.

Ah come on man, it's a lovely sunny day, let's be poisitive!:D

In contrast to the Modric situation, he was always going to go becasue his 'head had been turned'. Bale has done the opposite, instead of requesting to leave he's heaped praise on the manager. I don't think anyone is suggesting the club would turn down an offer of £80m but at least the player has stated he has no immediate desire to leave. That can only be a positive thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I have to disagree. I think Levy is working hard to change the 'selling club' label that we have. Ok, Carrick and Berba were tapped up and taken from us. Though, since then, Levy worked hard to keep Modric at the club, in order to prove no player is bigger than the club. That action has helped a lot in the Bale transfer saga - instead of seeing reports suggesting Bale will go for £40m, we're seeing reports of £80m.... that suggests the football writers world and Real Madrid know Spurs are not a team to be messed with any more.

Strategically speaking, holding on to Bale will go as far as qualifying for Champions League football to prove that we are one of the 'big boys'. Not only will it help us attract better players to the club this season, but it will also increase our chances of finishing in the Top 4 next season (thus keeping Bale for two more seasons.) Also, if he stays one more season and has a season like he had this year, then his £80m price tag will be the bare minimum we will accept for him.

Throughout the season my confidence that Bale will stay one more year has grown immeasurably and a lot of that is down to AVB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

If Levy was serious about hanging onto Modric he would have offered him more than the 40k per week he was reportedly on. Thats half of what Clint Dempsey gets, just to put it into perspective.

Whatever happens I hope the squad is in place before the opening game of the season and not the charade/farce we've had to endure the last couple of years where watching Jim Whyte on Aug 31st becomes a staple for Spurs fans.

• Advertisement

Ah come on man, it's a lovely sunny day, let's be poisitive!:D

In contrast to the Modric situation, he was always going to go becasue his 'head had been turned'. Bale has done the opposite, instead of requesting to leave he's heaped praise on the manager. I don't think anyone is suggesting the club would turn down an offer of £80m but at least the player has stated he has no immediate desire to leave. That can only be a positive thing?

yes it is positive , bale is a gentleman and he behaves like one. he actually has respect for the club and likes avb.

having said that , if madrid come in for him then he WILL go .

Put yourself in his shoes - would you stay with us and turn down madrid ? Of course not

And also, if we got 60 million then he should be sold, no player is worth that much. And lets not forget , bale has had one great season , not 5-6 of them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

golfball37 wrote: »
    If Levy was serious about hanging onto Modric he would have offered him more than the 40k per week he was reportedly on. Thats half of what Clint Dempsey gets, just to put it into perspective.

Whatever happens I hope the squad is in place before the opening game of the season and not the charade/farce we've had to endure the last couple of years where watching Jim Whyte on Aug 31st becomes a staple for Spurs fans.

How do you know he didn't offer him more?

Do we really ever have much idea of what wages players get anyway? There never seems to be solid info on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Ormus wrote: »
    How do you know he didn't offer him more?

Do we really ever have much idea of what wages players get anyway? There never seems to be solid info on this.

In my view Levy did well, he got another year out of Modric when he wanted out

In my view Levy did well, he got another year out of Modric when he wanted out

no point in keeping an unhappy player

no point in keeping an unhappy player

Exactly, convince them to stay just one more year. Modric didn't do a Berbatov, he played very well for the extra year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Big rumour on twitter that Bale def going to Madrid for 90 mil saying the deal is done,I'd say it's all a load of shyte though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

probably

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

If it is true (which I doubt) I don't think you could name 5 players in the world that clubs would turn down that Kind of money for any player. I honestly think Levy would take not much more then half that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

ziedth wrote: »
    If it is true (which I doubt) I don't think you could name 5 players in the world that clubs would turn down that Kind of money for any player. I honestly think Levy would take not much more then half that

To be fair, if the money was reinvested of course, £40m+ would definitely improve your squad. As disappointing as it would be to lose a player of his quality, surely it's too good an opportunity to turn down? As an Arsenal fan, I think I'd rather ye hung onto him for another season than had that kind of money to strengthen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

L'prof wrote: »
    To be fair, if the money was reinvested of course, £40m+ would definitely improve your squad. As disappointing as it would be to lose a player of his quality, surely it's too good an opportunity to turn down? As an Arsenal fan, I think I'd rather ye hung onto him for another season than had that kind of money to strengthen.

Yeah £90m would buy 3 - 4 world class players, maybe more (excluding wages of course) assuming it was all reinvested. I think that's the worry most of us have though - with the new stadium how much of that money would go straight back into the transfer kitty?

If these rumours are true, he'd be the most expensive player ever and no club could or should turn down that kind of offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

L'prof wrote: »

IMHO he would be impossible to replace with a single player. I think your literally talking a player one of the top players in the world to do that and we all know they wouldnt come.

Like you said if and when he does go if we did reinvest even ₤40m of say the odd ₤60m I think we'd get for him we could replace two maybe even three of the average players with title winning level players and maybe we'd have a team that could push on.

Like the lads said though with the new stadium its hard to know what will happen.

I thought of a new angle to look at the whole Bale transfer saga. Does anyone think that Spurs could be wanting to keep the story in the papers too?

At times like these (i.e. transfer window) it's better to have a high-profile club in order to attract the best players. As long as Bale's name and links to Real Madrid for 'record-breaking' transfer fees are in the paper, the more regularly one will see the name of Tottenham Hotspur on the front/back papers all over the world. Just a thought...

I thought of a new angle to look at the whole Bale transfer saga. Does anyone think that Spurs could be wanting to keep the story in the papers too?

At times like these (i.e. transfer window) it's better to have a high-profile club in order to attract the best players. As long as Bale's name and links to Real Madrid for 'record-breaking' transfer fees are in the paper, the more regularly one will see the name of Tottenham Hotspur on the front/back papers all over the world. Just a thought...

Being the selling club in record breaking transfers is nothing to be proud of

Though my point is 'all press is good press'. We're a fashionable club, regardless of the reasons. Thus our profile grows and we can attract better players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

From a fan's point of view it isn't, from a business point of view, it most definitely is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Though my point is 'all press is good press'. We're a fashionable club, regardless of the reasons. Thus our profile grows and we can attract better players.

:D you'd know it was the boring season ye headcase

http://www.givemesport.com/354658-gareth-bale-confident-of-real-madrid-move?

I hate this 'report' crap. Last week AVB puts an end to the Bale saga by saying publicly that Bale is going nowhere this Summer. So, the papers, in order to try and prolong the saga they come out with this 'report' that Bale is looking to push the move himself.... WITHOUT one quote from the player.

I also realise I shouldn't take these things so personally, but I do. I can't help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

I don't think Bale has a notion of going anywhere.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

celt262 wrote: »
    I don't think Bale has a notion of going anywhere.

I doubt any spurs fan does, we seen how he acts...unlike the majority of footballers he seems like a different breed, a genuine decent guy. He definitely loves working with AVB and there's no way he'd want to join a madrid team with an as yet unnamed manager, one would think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Definitely won't go anywhere this year, barring possibly if an 80+ million bid from Real comes in (unlikely). He seems quite happy, and as said above, loves playing for AVB.

If we don't get top 4 next year though, he'll leave, and no one could really fault him on it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Kiith wrote: »
    Definitely won't go anywhere this year, barring possibly if an 80+ million bid from Real comes in (unlikely). He seems quite happy, and as said above, loves playing for AVB.

If we don't get top 4 next year though, he'll leave, and no one could really fault him on it either.

Agreed, the decision could be out of his hands. Anything North of 60million will be looked at seriously I think. If another team like PSG or Monaco get involved it could rise to that figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Wouldn't even consider anything less than 70m. If we get offered 80m, he'll be sold imo.

Back in training today in the new training kit, puts the rumors to bed, happy days

article-0-1AB6E636000005DC-435_634x426.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

And great to see Younes involved in the first day, and not the usual, " should be with us in the next few weeks, he's coming along fine"...
    COYS.

• Advertisement

TIME SQUARE, NYC BABY!

Great publicity for him and the club
    article-2359033-1ABC8FC1000005DC-12_634x521.jpg

Advertisement