Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland Accommodation Rights?

Options
  • 03-11-2010 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Im living in a rented house at the moment with my roommate (the house accommodates 2 tenants at a time only) . But my roommate is moving out by the end of the month. My landlord says if i cant get someone new to replace my roommate I have to pay double my current rate for the empty room I am not using. This is ridiculous-is there some legal rights that tenants have in British/northern Ireland to prevent this from happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Between the two of you, did you rent the property or did you both happen to rent rooms in the same property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 irishsaintme

Victor wrote: »
    Between the two of you, did you rent the property or did you both happen to rent rooms in the same property?

No we rent the rooms separately in the same property-up to now i only paid for my room alone and not the second room used by someone else.

Do I have any legal rights to prevent my landlord making me pay for a empty room im not using?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I can't see how he can make you pay for the other room, but I'm not familiar with the legal situation.

I wonder if the Housing Executive could provide proper information or recommend someone who can. http://www.nihe.gov.uk/index/about-us-home.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

It depends on the type of lease you signed (afaik normal HMO rules don't apply as there's only two of you).

If there is one lease with both your names on it (as opposed to two separate leases) then you are both equally liable (i.e. if you moved out your room-mate would have to pay all the rent) irrespective of how the rent is apportioned or paid each month. I sought legal advice on the same scenario with both our names on the one lease and was told if my room-mate jumped ship then I had to pay ALL the rent.

If you have two separate leases then these should operate independently of each other and it's none of your concern who is or isn't renting the second room - you only pay your part of the rent.

I'd speak to your local Citizens Advice Bureau. They get advice from the Housing Exec on property queries and are usually easier to access than the HE. They dug me out of the hole I was in with my lease and I can't recommend them highly enough.

Advertisement