Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordinary maths paper 1

• 03-11-2010 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Lets just take Q7 which is on differentiation, I looked at the e-xamit website to look up the answer for (B)(i)

This is the question: Differentiate 5-3x with respect to x from first principles

okay this seems like a nice simple one sentence answer nice and quick can work out in 5secs in my head

my answer: -3

e-xamits answer:

What I would like to know is it really necessary to write up that whole forumla for such a simple question like that? If I do have to then how many marks would I get for doing it my way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

yeah because they want to you to do it from first princibles, just writing out the answer will get you no marks, you need to give them what you asked for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Yup, what you did in your head was differentiat it with respect to x. They ask you to differentiate from first principles, which is the 5 steps shown on examits website :) lots of people lose marks by reading the question too fast and using the wrong method of differentiation, just read carefully and know your methods :)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

Yup. No marks for just -3. See page 31 of marking scheme >>>> http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2010/LC003GLP000EV.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

Yeah, that's the first principles formula. You have to use it or else get no (or very little) marks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

If you're asked for first principles, you have to do out each step in nauseating detail, or else you can lose marks :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

ye I knew it my way was to good to be true thanks guys

Advertisement