Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opting out of the Students Union?

Options
  • 03-11-2010 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭

Recently been toying with the idea of opting out, more as a protest then for the cash, but a couple interesting things.

Is it possible to opt out? Like legally we have a constitutional right to association (40.6.iii), which surely protects our right to opt out?

What would I lose? SU Shops, SU Centre, Class Trips, Vote would all go, anything else people think of.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

You're the one in LawSoc, you tell us :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Lawsoc isn't just for law students (however I am one).

But yeah, like you take them to court if they didn't let you opt out. I was wondering however is there a way, like a form you fill out or something. Or would you have to threaten legal action...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Healium wrote: »
    You're the one in LawSoc, you tell us :p[/QUOT

You wouldn't be fit to join societies then I take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Would you still be considering this had Mr.Logue gotten in?

Fad wrote: »
    Would you still be considering this had Mr.Logue gotten in?

If Mr Logue had decided to blindly follow a march from Parnell to the Dail then yes. This idea first came to mind during the cocacola referendum debate, which I believe was at a time when Logue could have still won?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

errlloyd wrote: »
    If Mr Logue had decided to blindly follow a march from Parnell to the Dail then yes. This idea first came to mind during the cocacola referendum debate, which I believe was at a time when Logue could have still won?

I was joking Chris :)

What part of the coke referendum made you think of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Spoke to a few people last year about this.
    Legally UCD is a funny thing, as the administration claim it is private property, which is probally challengable due to a lot of the grounds being in 'care' of the state and the campus, staff and students being haevily funded by the State. I believe it is on the grounds of private property that the right of association is infringed upon. (As it is by the very existence of a society recognition comittee).
    You wouldn't be fit to join societies then I take it?

I think if he could opt out on the basis of the constitution, he could possibly still join societies on that basis.

After seeing that SU budget a few years ago, it made me think about what I would lose if SU funding was actually pulled.

The SU shop and copy centre turn profits iirc and class trips recieve little funding from the SU, so they would be relatively unaffected. Those are the 3'visible' benefits I have made use of, in my time in UCD and chances are they wouldn't have been effected much by the nonexistence of the SU.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Shame Im not around for this U-turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Having needed help from the SU this year regarding an admin balls up of my exams last semester, i can safely that for that reason alone, i'd continue association.

That aside, Health/ welfare services? ( Never used them, but they're there if i need them )

I still do think SU way over spends, on ridiculous things. But I'd rather have them, than not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    Having needed help from the SU this year regarding an admin balls up of my exams last semester, i can safely that for that reason alone, i'd continue association.

That aside, Health/ welfare services? ( Never used them, but they're there if i need them )

I still do think SU way over spends, on ridiculous things. But I'd rather have them, than not.

Don't think Op's saying he minds the SU exisiting if other people want it. He's wondering if he can opt to leave the SU.

I was actually thinking this myself today.

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    I was joking Chris :)

What part of the coke referendum made you think of it?

Oh sorry man, touchy yesterday.

Eh it was during the cocacola house debate, Niall made an excellent speech about how the SU was a union in itself and how it was a union that we seemingly have to join, and a union that seems to have the monopoly on representation.

Advertisement