Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A few questions!

• 03-11-2010 1:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭

I'm more than likely posting this in the wrong place but anyway!
    I'm thinking of applying for the PGDE (September 2011) my degree subjects are English and Religion and I have just finished a MA in English. I was wondering would I be better off staying in Ireland (NUIM or UCD hopefully) to do it or to go to England (Edge Hill looks to be my best bet)??
    Also, if I was to do the course in England would I have to do a top up course afterwards to teach in Ireland as all the courses I have seen cover the 11-16 age group?

Any advice is much appreciated I'm extremely confusted over the whole thing :D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

markievicz wrote: »
    I'm more than likely posting this in the wrong place but anyway!
    I'm thinking of applying for the PGDE (September 2011) my degree subjects are English and Religion and I have just finished a MA in English. I was wondering would I be better off staying in Ireland (NUIM or UCD hopefully) to do it or to go to England (Edge Hill looks to be my best bet)??
    Also, if I was to do the course in England would I have to do a top up course afterwards to teach in Ireland as all the courses I have seen cover the 11-16 age group?

Any advice is much appreciated I'm extremely confusted over the whole thing :D

If you want a job, this is a very bad subject combination. Can you afford to waste that year, and €6500? If you really want to teach, subjects like Irish and Maths would be better. If you have a year to spend, why not start by dropping into the career development person in your university, telling her/him your existing qualifications and s/he can flesh out more realistic possibilities for you?

PS: The pay for teachers in England is abysmal. You might very well get a job there but the pay and degree of paperwork makes it a significantly less attractive proposition than Ireland by all accounts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Leaving aside the job situation. I would say do it in Ireland definitely. There seems to be no issue with people hopping on a boat post graduation and teaching in England.

It is harder to do this the other way around because you have to do one year in England to be fully qualified and then when you come back principals may think you're not fully up on speed on the Irish syllabus and you'll be against lots of people who qualified and have experience in Ireland.

Advertisement