Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 2x06 "Trial and Error"

Options
  • 03-11-2010 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭

Expect low ratings thanks to general election

What did you think of Trial and Error 49 votes

Obvious is good
    0% 0 votes
    McKay
    40% 20 votes
    Destimeh
    38% 19 votes
    Cuckoo
    14% 7 votes
    It's too late...
    6% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Overheal wrote: »

What time will this be available irish time?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

Im watching it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Very enjoyable, good character development, anyone else get a shock of the first time it happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

little bit.

That girl is hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

It's interesting where they are going with Destiny being a character in it's own right, seriously looking forward to how they continue to develop it. Good episode overall. I seriously dislike the vomit inducing underdog nerdy guy gets the hot chick thing though, it's really just cheesy as hell.

• Advertisement

Thats shallow :p

Im not sure I liked or appreciated the brainwave explaination. That the ship can inexplicably both read and alter human brainwaves and specifically target Young in doing it? Seems a little hokey. Also getting kinda bored of these Rush-bridge times coincidences, as much as I liked the episode, those have to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

That was pretty good. Reminded me a bit of the episode Avatar from SG-1 season 8.

Good that Scott is back to normal. Didn't want him tossed out the airlock along with Chloe.

"Ancient toilets, here we go" :D

Hot girl & Eli = cringefest

Rush finding out Destinys original mission should be good, he needs to do something and stop sitting around on the bridge....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Watching it now, and it already reminds me of an episode of TNG where the enterprise in caught in a time loop and keeps blowing up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Anyone else thought for a second when eli and the hot chick were talking and Eli jus discovered the battle simulation and at that second she pulled his attention away. really thought the alliance was up to sometime there. Like what hot chick like that would go for Eli? Thats just impossable(and no spaceships in a diffrent galaxy and worms holes from gates that are circular are not impossable)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Columc wrote: »
    Anyone else thought for a second when eli and the hot chick were talking and Eli jus discovered the battle simulation and at that second she pulled his attention away. really thought the alliance was up to sometime there. Like what hot chick like that would go for Eli? Thats just impossable(and no spaceships in a diffrent galaxy and worms holes from gates that are circular are not impossable)
    Though the same thing too, guess thats the realist in me :-)

Enjoyed the episode and very glad that they just gave a brief synopsis about Youngs marriage breakdown rather than have an episode dedicated to it with a load of earth time thrown in

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hey! Sometimes the nerd gets the hot girl as well...

At least thats what i keep telling myself :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Screw Eli i wanna shot a her!! thought this episode was amazing the first time the ships attacked and we see that fear of dying in matts face is just amazing.

The end was not what i expected at all i thought he was actually having visions, and the ships warning about danger being ahead of them something to do with the mid series finale and the epic space battle we've been promised?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I don't understand how that girl could have read papers on dialling gates by Eli. I mean, before he was on Destiny, he was just a guy playing video games.
    Are they trying to say that he has been publishing papers on stargates while on Destiny?
    Or is this some plothole?

As for the episode:

Young's dreams are good episodes of SG:U? At least one of us is getting to watch good episodes. :rolleyes:

It was better than usual, but still nothing to write home about. Didn't really like the repetitive nature of the episode, but it worked better than previous plot devices.

I did really enjoy Young being like "you figure it out" though at the end.

Are we to think that Young is definitely not the correct leader then, Rush got the ship to jump again - that's what I took from it at least.

Kiith wrote: »
    Hey! Sometimes the nerd gets the hot girl as well...

At least thats what i keep telling myself :(
    I've seen it happen. My brother's friend was a pudgy, whiney, spoiled child, but somehow still got one of the finest girls in their social circle, and that girl was well out of his league. Maybe it was the mustang :/

She probably read research notes since she's been out of holding.

Seems likely that Destiny didn't want to move ahead without doing serious repairs to its weapons systems and such. They already said a lot of their defenses weren't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

hahaha destiny blowing up was dream,

solid caracter episode, great to see young back in the game, hopefully next week he finds the bridge at long last, im sick to death of rush running the ship,

it showed scott is a much better cartacer here than in last week sepisode, its kinda what youd expect a carater like scott to be, very affermative straight to the point, confrontational, someone who will one day be a leader, not some frat boy sleeping his way around, and i t actually seeme dlike he was concerned for shloe, maybe hell soon make a decison that he in fact really loves her, and then the aliens will take here :D cross fingers everyone,

eli getting the girl should be a good thing, less whineing in the background, people who say its unrealastic dont get out much, plenty of men get women way way outta there league, i must actually sit down with one of them some day:), shes was a simple math head, hes solved the greatest mysyery in the universe, there from different sides of the galaxy, there love it unbreakable, lol that would be a good show:D

also dont see the point of constantly referenceing early season 1 episode at the start, it just shows that they havent made any progression in the story worth reminding us of, and what they do remind us of we dont really care about,

don ramo wrote: »
    eli getting the girl should be a good thing, less whineing in the background, people who say its unrealastic dont get out much, plenty of men get women way way outta there league, i must actually sit down with one of them some day:), shes was a simple math head, hes solved the greatest mysyery in the universe, there from different sides of the galaxy, there love it unbreakable, lol that would be a good show:D
    Thats what im thinking. She's surrounded by macho horny lucian alliance soldiers all day. And she's single? They may not be her thing. And then theres that whole "Ah poor us forced to serve the alliance boohoo. srs bsns." that would probably make Eli a bit of a turn on when he's just some dorky pacifist civilian type.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

So it's OK for you to quote ratings, but not me eh? :rolleyes:

AntiRip wrote: »
    Watching it now, and it already reminds me of an episode of TNG where the enterprise in caught in a time loop and keeps blowing up. :)

Yep, first thing i thought...TNG Cause & Effect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

So it's OK for you to quote ratings, but not me eh? :rolleyes:
    If you can't see the difference between that and your usual post content I don't know what to say to you tbh.

Hightower1 called it - salute you sir!;

"Well thats Eli's territory now, I can promise you next ep they will start having sparks. The whole "leave me I am staying here with Scott" thing was so blatantly a metaphor it was a joke, as for being punctuated by him walking through the gate pausing and looking back to say "goodbye" lmao. Terrible writing. Even worse character development tbh , we all gathered that Eli had wised up that she is out of his league a long time ago in season 1 and this whole dynamic wedged in this EP was not needed. They clearly added it because next week when the red head LA chick and Eli start having moments the dullards out there wont kick back and wonder "but but but I thought he liked Chloe!".

The worst part of it though is their excuse to have a chloe / Eli sub plot here was so they could pursue love interests unimpeded ..... but at the end of the day I couldnt care less if Eli is found swinging from the gate itself! He's an overweight uninteresting and very unfunny character who was a simple "average" joe relatable figure for the first season and should do the decent thing now and off himself. Chloe at least is going somewhere with the whole transformation thing. (all be it here actual scenes individually are as dull as dishwater)"

Well done mate, bang on the money....my spin on it is that she's using Eli, hot girl like that has ulterior motives. I think she's in a relationship with that LA guy, not the Knepper character...the other guy.

I think she's using him for info and manipulte him to take over the ship, it was a very solid ep. probably the strongest of the season, good character development for Young. But if i have one complaint it's the speed at which young copped on and got back to running things, just seemed way too fast.

Very "Cause & Effect" temporal quasility loop ep. - but nicely done none the less, not sure what's going on with Chloe...she always looks really miserable, like why am i on this show and not on the front cover of Maxim?

They need to do something major with Chloe, either alienify her or fire her out the airlock...she's a bore.

I rated this ep. top marks in poll.

• Advertisement

Sherifu wrote: »
    If you can't see the difference between that and your usual post content I don't know what to say to you tbh.

My bloody posts are NO diiferent, i quote fugures and FACTS, saying SGU is RIP is the same damn thing as you saying expect low ratings.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

My bloody posts are NO diiferent, i quote fugures and FACTS, saying SGU is RIP is the same damn thing as you saying expect low ratings.

No, you're saying its dead, Overheal was saying figures will be low because of one of the most important events in recent US history.

No, you're saying its dead, Overheal was saying figures will be low because of one of the most important events in recent US history.
    thanks.

Its quite a bit different from Every Week saying the show is about to be pulled off the air. "RIP" Why don't we wait until SyFy actually issues a press release saying "We're pulling Stargate Universe off the air"?

Unless RIP means Really Interesting Plot.

It don't take Stevie Wonder to see it is dead, the ratings reflect this :rolleyes:

thanks.

Its quite a bit different from Every Week saying the show is about to be pulled off the air. "RIP" Why don't we wait until SyFy actually issues a press release saying "We're pulling Stargate Universe off the air"?

Unless RIP means Really Interesting Plot.

The episodes that would reflect this a very few.

It don't take Stevie Wonder to see it is dead, the ratings reflect this :rolleyes:
    Interesting fact: If Stargate SG-1 had not been the lovechild of Showtime, it too would have gotten the axe before the end of the first season. Why? The ratings.

The American subscription channel Showtime ordered the first two seasons of Stargate SG-1 with 44 episodes total in 1996.[8] The two-hour pilot episode received Showtime's highest-ever ratings for a series premiere with an audience of approximately 1.5 million households in the 8 p.m. Sunday slot of July 27, 1997.[89][90] According to the SG-1 producers, a broadcast network would have cancelled SG-1 after a few episodes, but Showtime put no pressure on the show to "deliver the meteoric ratings the way network shows do".[91]

The point im trying to make and you keep failing to grasp is that ratings data is insufficient to reach any conclusion about the shows future. So please, stop. You have a thread up already where you can discuss the future of the show without hijacking each successive episode thread with this tangent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I hate to say I told ya so but it seems very fitting given how i ended the quote last week....

hightower1 wrote: »
    Well thats Eli's territory now, I can promise you next ep they will start having sparks. The whole "leave me I am staying here with Scott" thing was so blatantly a metaphor it was a joke, as for being punctuated by him walking through the gate pausing and looking back to say "goodbye" lmao. Terrible writing. Even worse character development tbh , we all gathered that Eli had wised up that she is out of his league a long time ago in season 1 and this whole dynamic wedged in this EP was not needed. They clearly added it because next week when the red head LA chick and Eli start having moments the dullards out there wont kick back and wonder "but but but I thought he liked Chloe!".

Predictable writing / pacing on behalf of the team.

Like I said... predictable.

I cant explain how sick I am of listening to Eli.
    Fatty needs to - as Greer said - MAN UP.
    This whole "oh I like this girl but she doesnt like me, Ill mope around for a season... but wait I like THIS girl now, will I get time alone with her" is about as fitting to SGU as a nice cartoon section would be.

Like I also said last week Eli needs to be killed off. He is pathetic in almost every single way and its a complete joke that someone like Greer is passed over to give that fat mess screen time.

Maybe they can give him a nice section every week where he lays on the bed at the end of each episode with a nice voice over..."dear diary" :rolleyes:

Good ep overall though, if this was the baseline that the show could manage it would be great. It provided the filler aspect in terms of what the writers want (downtime in terms of getting more milage from the show in the sense of having sgu on screen without having to delve into the mission of the show) but yet was still entertaining enough to watch. Why? Good emotional scenes and space battles 6 mins into the show. Its as simple as that.

@Overheal: They havent made a good mustang since the early seventies. I hope the bro's wasnt the new disgraceful 00+ ones. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

I thought it was a pretty meh episode. really predictable, i could tell that it was a dream from early on, cos rush wasn't going to the bridge to jump destiny back into FTL.
    wasn't a good episode imo. very boring and didn't do it for me :/

<...>
    Obvious is good! :mad::p
    @Overheal: They havent made a good mustang since the early seventies. I hope the bro's wasnt the new disgraceful 00+ ones. ;)
    t'was :(

• Advertisement

I gave ya props bro....you nailed it! ;)
    I hate to say I told ya so but it seems very fitting given how i ended the quote last week....

Like I said... predictable.

I cant explain how sick I am of listening to Eli.
    Fatty needs to - as Greer said - MAN UP.
    This whole "oh I like this girl but she doesnt like me, Ill mope around for a season... but wait I like THIS girl now, will I get time alone with her" is about as fitting to SGU as a nice cartoon section would be.

Like I also said last week Eli needs to be killed off. He is pathetic in almost every single way and its a complete joke that someone like Greer is passed over to give that fat mess screen time.

Maybe they can give him a nice section every week where he lays on the bed at the end of each episode with a nice voice over..."dear diary" :rolleyes:

Good ep overall though, if this was the baseline that the show could manage it would be great. It provided the filler aspect in terms of what the writers want (downtime in terms of getting more milage from the show in the sense of having sgu on screen without having to delve into the mission of the show) but yet was still entertaining enough to watch. Why? Good emotional scenes and space battles 6 mins into the show. Its as simple as that.

Advertisement