Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 2x06 "Trial and Error"

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Ratings held up pretty well, the adult demo was the same as last week:

Stargate Universe (9pm)
    - 0.967 million viewers
    - 0.7/1 HH
    - 0.4/1 A18-49

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Didn't like the whole dream thing but it was nice to see Eli finally having something positive happen to him. Hoped that the space battle would evolve into something at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,693 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I've been watching SGU since it started but i'm not a big SG fan and have never fully watched any prior seasons. I just started this out of interest and have a kept a casual follow of it since cuase there numerous smaller elements I really liked (Rush and Young's fight for command, the constent dangers over threat of the week plot elements etc)

As you can guess for most of season 2's return i've been slightly less interested in the series as most of what I liked has been toned back and I really really really hated last week's episode, it was an awful sci fi cliche set up and honestly the events in the dreamworld were dull and the real world events felt rushed.

So this one following on had little interest from me. The title really gave away the set up and I was neither surprised nor excited when what is very much another sci fi cliche kicked in.

but damn if I give the writer's credit, they actually took it somewhere I didnt expect. Instead of repeating it ad nausia until a central character suddenly clicked on to this week's morality lesson it actually went with a more psychological and social effect of leadership route which I found much more interesting and it tied back to the things I like about the series over all, the ship, rust's and young's rivalry and the constent danger.

So it was a good episode. My only gripe is after all the hoopla of the last episode they seem to drop the shotgun marriage set up they had for Scott too easily this episode in my opinion.

On Eli and the beverly hills side of the plot, meh, I liked it alot in season 1 cause he was this annoying character that was an essential resource so there was this nice mix of real friendship vs manipulation in the narrative undercurrent. In season 2 this has dropped off alot as he seems to be much less of an essential tech head as he was in season 1 so if he only has his girl problems to whine about then he is of course going to be an annoying character, but I wouldnt be at the point of saying kill him off. Like Foreman over on the House tv series, he's a good character if he has something to do, if he is left threading water as he has been for a bit then he begins to irritate.

Saying that, its the reason Chloe still holds interesting, she's interesting because there is a functional plot device over her, take it away she'd be more irritating and unlikeable then Eli because she'd be as useless as he is now. I'm not her biggest fan to begin with so i'm hoping they really cash in with this arc over her rather then returning to some status quo with her later on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

They should turn Chloe into a sexy succubus alien vixen, like Lifeforce...."sucking off" all the males and such, that would keep her on the show!

:-)

They should turn Chloe into a sexy succubus alien vixen, like Lifeforce...."sucking off" all the males and such, that would keep her on the show!

:-)

Meh...

that'll be jumping down as much of a sci fi cliche as the last episode.

Maybe something much more brutal and exploitive would appeal more to the tone the series started with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I can see Chloe being written out of the show in favour of the hot red head. I guess the writers have realised that peolpe are just not connecting with that character.

Also the fact that they have started using the repair robot does that mean that they could possibly bring the second shuttle back into action or has it been completely destroyed?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

mods feel free to edit the post, but the radio wave system i use to get the show from america still doesnt have it.. can someone PM me another "frequency" to tune into to get the program??

Also i watch it on Sky1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Peace wrote: »
    I can see Chloe being written out of the show in favour of the hot red head. I guess the writers have realised that peolpe are just not connecting with that character.

Also the fact that they have started using the repair robot does that mean that they could possibly bring the second shuttle back into action or has it been completely destroyed?

They don't have any more shuttles, they left the first on the alien planet with those other folks and then they crashed the second one in the ep Riley died.

But yeah, I think chloe needs to go, pretty annoying character, even if she does actually have a storyline at the moment, which is a first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Really enjoyed this episode though I felt it was a shame they revealed Rush kick-started Destiny rather than leaving us think that Colonel was in fact the man for the job (or at least left it until a later date when Rush could then reveal it was him who overrode the system).

Better yet they could have left it that the ship did indeed believe Colonel was the man for the job giving Rush some much needed doubt in himself as he needs his comeuppance and fast.

The side story of Eli and Red Head was a bit cringeworthy alright and I can't help but feel that she is simply using him, or at least has been ordered to use him leading to her betraying him or at least appearing to before showing her true colours and save the day.

The next few episodes sound like they're going to be interesting so can't wait for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Really enjoyed this episode though I felt it was a shame they revealed Rush kick-started Destiny rather than leaving us think that Colonel was in fact the man for the job (or at least left it until a later date when Rush could then reveal it was him who overrode the system).
    Because Happy Endings are outdated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭EWJim

Big fan Of Stargate

But I Just cant Get into the Show,
    Would only What a few together from the sky palyer
    Any one eles think the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭GarethWA

Ratings held up pretty well, the adult demo was the same as last week:

Stargate Universe (9pm)
    - 0.967 million viewers
    - 0.7/1 HH
    - 0.4/1 A18-49

Oh, go away with your numbers! They're no fun!
    I don't really think people care about them in the same way you do!
    People care about a good show that they enjoy, regardless of how well it does in the ratings. Fact is, we can't exactly affect change in the US ratings, so it's not really relevant to us. When there is an actual genuine threat to SGU being cancelled, i'll care about numbers, but for now it has a loyal fanbase that is tuning in every week, and I am quite confident it will get to a third season.

if he's interested in the numbers thats fine, I just dont think conclusions should be drawn from them.

reminds me of Pathogen - I like it, most people here hated it. Well screw y'all: I liked it :) Similarly if you like or hate the show the ratings aren't going to change your mind are they? Im not going to like or hate an episode based on that metric.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

GarethWA wrote: »
    Oh, go away with your numbers! They're no fun!
    I don't really think people care about them in the same way you do!
    People care about a good show that they enjoy, regardless of how well it does in the ratings. Fact is, we can't exactly affect change in the US ratings, so it's not really relevant to us. When there is an actual genuine threat to SGU being cancelled, i'll care about numbers, but for now it has a loyal fanbase that is tuning in every week, and I am quite confident it will get to a third season.

I'm intrested in the numbers. I'm a fan of the franchise but I am a realist also.... executives who greenlight the show we love are intrested in them which means we should watch them closesly too, not as a meter of quality but as a window to the mindset of the masses / executives in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭pah

OisinT wrote: »
    I don't understand how that girl could have read papers on dialling gates by Eli. I mean, before he was on Destiny, he was just a guy playing video games.
    Are they trying to say that he has been publishing papers on stargates while on Destiny?
    Or is this some plothole?

Yes I would think so.

Delivered as Intel to the Lucian Alliance from SGC by Col. Telford I would imagine.

pah wrote: »
    Yes I would think so.

Delivered as Intel to the Lucian Alliance from SGC by Col. Telford I would imagine.
    Or they were notes they've written since they've been on the ship that she was given access to after being released from holding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

But how would they get the data back to earth? Hard to imagine them using the mind bridge thing to go back to earth and just sit at a desk for a few days writing a paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

JohnK wrote: »
    But how would they get the data back to earth? Hard to imagine them using the mind bridge thing to go back to earth and just sit at a desk for a few days writing a paper.

Eli uses the stones. Spends a few hours in the base library and pens a few documents. Wahoo we got some theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

So they've got this whole ship they're trying to understand and gain access to and one of the people in the best position to do that is spending his time in a library on earth in someone elses body? Christ its no wonder they've hardly discovered anything about the bloody ship :p

JohnK wrote: »
    So they've got this whole ship they're trying to understand and gain access to and one of the people in the best position to do that is spending his time in a library on earth in someone elses body? Christ its no wonder they've hardly discovered anything about the bloody ship :p

"Math boy" probably only uses the stones and goes back to the "Library when its his turn to use the pebbles or when Rush and him discover something profuound or he wants some chocolate chip cookies.

• Advertisement

I think the stones have a USB port for uploading from a flash drive :D

I think the stones have a USB port for uploading from a flash drive :D

ur living in the past man. usb was sgc and atlantis. universe is 802.11b:D

somuj wrote: »
    ur living in the past man. usb was sgc and atlantis. universe is 802.11b:D

802.11n surely?:)

Overheal wrote: »
    Or they were notes they've written since they've been on the ship that she was given access to after being released from holding.

thats what I thought cause it ties in so closesly to an event in season 1 (flying destiny into a star)

WIMAX :D

802.11n surely?:)
    what he means is laptops in stargate sg1 and atlantis had a tendency of being allowed to plug into goauld and ancient systems like it was as easy as USB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I was kind of enjoying the episode until it turned into 'it was a dream.' I wouldn't have minded a time loop or some other cool sci-fi explanation, but this 'testing the leader,' crap was stupid. I agree with the poster who said young's dreams do not an episode make.

Space Opera is not meant to be Soap Opera and that's where I feel SGU is at the moment, with little to no real story in most episodes and just over the top, melodramatic character 'development.'

The previous episode I gave up on after like 10 minutes. This one I almost forced myself to watch. I love sci-fi, always have but at this stage it wouldn't bother me if SGU was cancelled/not-renewed. Maybe something fresh and enjoyable would take its place.

Meanwhile, I'm thoroughly enjoying SG1 re-runs. Up to the end of S5 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i wonder how the ship picked young though, could it be the specific room he has or was it purely random:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Been waiting ages for that red head to appear in SGU when I heard about it last year :D
    Good episode this one, aside from hot girl stuff :-p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

just in case anyone doesn't know

red haired chick was in carlitos way

and she was awesome

all i'll say

Advertisement