Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The games that almost were

Options
  • 03-11-2010 3:11am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Interesting feature running over on 1up this week: http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3182178. They're publishing an article everyday about games / levels / features that never ended up seeing the light of day. First up is the Steven Spielberg / EA collab LMNO, which sounds fascinating but alas has been canceled entirely. Some other promising ones coming up, like a look at the deleted scenes from God of War III.

Definitely worth a read, an insight into the basics and dynamics of actually making a game that we don't always get to read about!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

van buren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Anyone remember B.C. that was announced by Lionhead that could've been a great game if done correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

yeah forgot that one! looked great and i was looking forward to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Duke Nukem tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Project Offset... I'd been keeping an eye on this game in development for over 5 years. Heard news on the wire in 2008 that Intel was finally giving this indie developer a chance by giving them its backing.

Hadn't really checked back on it's progress since until recently, only to find out that Intel had pulled the plug this year... gutted :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

The original resident evil 4 they were developing looked like it was gonna be a great.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The original resident evil 4 they were developing looked like it was gonna be a great.

Resident Evil 4 is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Project Offset... I'd been keeping an eye on this game in development for over 5 years. Heard news on the wire in 2008 that Intel was finally giving this indie developer a chance by giving them its backing.

Hadn't really checked back on it's progress since until recently, only to find out that Intel had pulled the plug this year... gutted :(

I was really looking forward to that as well. It looked so cool. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Didn't the original Resident Evil 4 turn out to be Devil May Cry?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Its scary to look at what games could have been. Halo was originally developed as an RTS, the hiunted house style Resident Evil 4 as SOCCER4Life mentioned, and the original Warhammer Online being developed by Climax (which was originally an online RTS).

Cant wait to see the 2 top 20 lists, intresting to read about the hidden world of game development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,787 ✭✭✭✭Penn

humanji wrote: »
    Didn't the original Resident Evil 4 turn out to be Devil May Cry?

Yup. I think it mostly stemmed from the design of the gothic castle and island that they then made into DMC instead and redid Reaident Evils ones.

I just remember seeing this trailer and thinking I would have loved it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

X-COM: Alliance.

Miss x-com games :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Edge of Twilight. I dunno if the game has been outright cancelled or is just in Limbo, either way check out these videos. Love the steampunk setting and the narrator. Haunting music also, really really was looking forward to this game, hope it makes it to store shelves at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I just remember seeing this trailer and thinking I would have loved it..

Now, that's how Res E should be. Dark, gritty, and scary as hell!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

deathrider wrote: »
    Now, that's how Res E should be. Dark, gritty, and scary as hell!

And overlong door opening loading screens :o

That does look interesting I must say, although the Resi 4 that we've all played was a complete success. However, given the relatively stale Resi 5, a game that combines the atmosphere and scares of the above demo, and the intense gunplay and mechanics of 4 could be something very special.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

LMNO looked great. Timesplitters 4 was almost on that list but is being revived :P

Also, Halo should have been a Mac exclusive. I always wondered how the path of FPS gaming could have went if Halo stayed a Mac exclusive

And overlong door opening loading screens :o

That does look interesting I must say, although the Resi 4 that we've all played was a complete success. However, given the relatively stale Resi 5, a game that combines the atmosphere and scares of the above demo, and the intense gunplay and mechanics of 4 could be something very special.

The doors just added to the intensity :p
    Though I do agree that the Res E 4 that was actually realed was a fantastic game. I'm still just bitter about the crossover from horror to action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I like the look of that Resi 4 version. Looked like a dreamcast version to me. Or was that a gamecube stick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Oh man I was really sad when that got "put on hold". Looked good (for the time) and a report from one magazine on the 3-way mulitplayer was very positive.
    Was great when Nova showed up in SC2 though, and her mission is the perfect lead up to a solo game (her hunting the rogue Ghosts)

This could probably fit here too:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Naww, that's still coming isn't it?

Naww, that's still coming isn't it?

Yeah, 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm happy with what we got, but I'm itching to play what could have been.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Full Throttle 2

Although that trailer does look pretty bad, maybe they could have brought it back to the same quality as the first one.

Seen bits of this trailer on Live a good while ago (I think it was on Sentuamessage) and thought it looked fantastic. Would be very interested to see some gameplay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Advertisement