Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 Year Restriction

• 03-11-2010 5:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Anyone out there know a way around the two year restriction for motorbike license? Picked up my full pinky today having passed the test last friday.So the 2 year count down is on unless somebody knows a faster way;)..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,483 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Get a restricted 'big bike', and don't kill yourself during the two-year wait.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

You can get a full powered bike and ride it but then you would be riding a bike with no insurance.
    You pay the insurance for a restricted bike and then you change the bike and have no insurance if you crash.

Also if you crash they can send an engineer out to inspect the bike and decide is it was legal or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ahh 1 year, 4 months and 13 days left. Tick Toc, tick toc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Ahh 1 year, 4 months and 13 days left. Tick Toc, tick toc....

3 weeks! 3 long weeks :D

... then I can dream of the bikes I can ride but can't afford to upgrade to :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭bladespin

Yes, go to the UK, do the direct access test there, pass and keep the license until it's up.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Whats the big problem with the restriction? Do you think you're not fast enough with a restricted bike? Can the bike you want not be restricted?

Boskowski wrote: »
    Whats the big problem with the restriction? Do you think you're not fast enough with a restricted bike? Can the bike you want not be restricted?

How would you like it if I chopped one of your legs off? Would you not be fast enough with one leg?

Boskowski wrote: »

Because it completely depends on the engine. Any engine which has its power range in the high Revs drives like a wet sock when restricted. The bigger the engine and bike the worse it gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Because it completely depends on the engine. Any engine which has its power range in the high Revs drives like a wet sock when restricted. The bigger the engine and bike the worse it gets.

I, like my Blackbird, have recently become de-restricted. It drove absolutely fine.

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    I, like my Blackbird, have recently become de-restricted. It drove absolutely fine.

How did you drive after?

How did you drive after?

Carefully :p (couldn't resist - sorry).

Anybody else think that after being unrestricted can'tdecide gives a careful ride?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

2 months to go

then I can hop off my cg125 and finally ride my zzr1400, huzzah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Wossack wrote: »
    2 months to go

Jayzus...from a CG125 to an unrestricted ZZR1400. Don't forget your parachute!

Wossack wrote: »
    2 months to go

See. This is why the two year restriction is a ridiculous concept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

KamiKazi wrote: »

Ill swap user names with ya :P

nah, I dont own a zzr/zxr, just as your post says - highlighting the silly concept

much in the same way as a 'born again', with a license from way back can hop on anything without issue.. rode a cd175 in the 70s, gonna get me a gsx1400 sorta thing

How did you drive after?

The same tbh

Fast bike. Slow rider.

Anybody else think that after being unrestricted can'tdecide gives a careful ride?

I'm very gentle :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Or you can pass your test, get full licence, never touch a bike for 2 years then get onto a full power bike. Nothings perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

Del2005 wrote: »
    Or you can pass your test, get full licence, never touch a bike for 2 years then get onto a full power bike. Nothings perfect.

I wouldnt go through all the effort of getting into biking and doing the test to forget about it all for 2 years tbh. Its a stupid system at the end of the day that we all have to put up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

martydunf wrote: »
    I wouldnt go through all the effort of getting into biking and doing the test to forget about it all for 2 years tbh. Its a stupid system at the end of the day that we all have to put up with.

Some people may not be able to afford a bike or have somewhere to keep it, so plan ahead.

It was more to point out the flaw in the system that even if you don't ride a bike for 2 years after test you are still allowed to ride full powered bikes. The restriction was supposedly brought in to keep newly qualified riders on less powerful bikes for "safety", though nearly everywhere else in the EU they do give the option of Direct Access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I waited the 2 years and went from a Suzuki Burgman 125cc scoot to a Honda Pan Euro 1100cc. Used the 2 years to save up for what I really wanted. :D
    Still have the 2 bikes though (although the scoot is a little sick and unloved at the moment).
    No way around the waiting that I could find but for trundling around the city I never had an issue with the 125, find I get a bit more respect on the Pan though for some reason.

125 scooter to a Pan European.

Jesus H Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Jesus H Christ.

No - Miscreant. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Jesus H Christ.

I did notice a power difference when I changed to the Pan... :D
    and I do agree with you that the 2 year rule is a bit silly.

Was a while back but went from a 125 to a GSXR 7/11 as my second bike, had to wait the 2 years on a 125 then.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

bladespin wrote: »
    Yes, go to the UK, do the direct access test there, pass and keep the license until it's up.
    You need a UK address and things like utility bills to prove you live there to go direct access in the UK.

Oryx wrote: »
    You need a UK address and things like utility bills to prove you live there to go direct access in the UK.

Yes, not hard to get, generally they don't ask for utility bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

This thread just reminded me of my restriction, it ended 3 days ago :D

Advertisement