Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview name really needs to be pushed and Freeview forgotten

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭scruffy66

winston_1 wrote: »
    The solution is easy. Your government should mandate that all new TV's sold must be MPEG 4 capable.

Have to agree with you ,considering that after 2012 all Mpeg 2 TV's will just be monitors and considering that 99% of people who buy mpeg 2 TV's dont realise that fact , i think TV shops etc should be given 6 months to get rid of Mpeg 2 stock and then all TV's sold after that should be Mpeg 4.surely that is what a green minister would do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

winston_1 wrote: »
    The solution is easy. Your government should mandate that all new TV's sold must be MPEG 4 capable.

From what date did the UK mandate that all new TVs sold include MPEG-2 tuners and the sale of analogue only TVs cease?
    What date have they mandated for all TVs to include DVB-T2 tuners?

Considering NI is about 2 years away from ASO and about 12 years since it launched are there any analogue only TVs still being sold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

The Cush wrote: »
    From what date did the UK mandate that all new TVs sold include MPEG-2 tuners and the sale of analogue only TVs cease?

Considering NI is about 2 years away from ASO and about 12 years since it launched are there any analogue only TVs still being sold?

The UK didnt (AFaIK) didnt have such a regulation but the USA did/does

At this stage most/all sets sold in the UK have DTT tuners but this wasnt the case in 2008 when the first regions were switched over.

IMNSHO once the price of a freeview box went below £30 DTT tuners in new TV's/Videos should have been mandatory and DVB-T2 tuners should be mandatory in and set sold as "HD ready". Sets sold in Northern Ireland should have had MPEG4/VHF analouge capability too.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    The UK didnt (AFaIK) didnt have such a regulation but the USA did/does

At this stage most/all sets sold in the UK have DTT tuners but this wasnt the case in 2008 when the first regions were switched over.

IMNSHO once the price of a freeview box went below £30 DTT tuners in new TV's/Videos should have been mandatory and DVB-T2 tuners should be mandatory in and set sold as "HD ready". Sets sold in Northern Ireland should have had MPEG4/VHF analouge capability too.

So after 12 years of UK DTT there is no regulation mandating DTT tuners.

Does anyone know if there are "analogue only" TVs still on sale in NI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If there are, no-one has bought them. According to 2009 figures, no Analogue only sets sold. I'd say someone somewhere bought one.

In UK
    The main stores are not even going to stock analogue only. During 2011 non "freeview HD" sets claiming to be HD ready/ Full HD will vanish. Expect these to really drop in price and turn up here (oh wait they already have!).

French have a regulation. This is not unusual as they invented SCART and then insisted you could only sell a TV with SCART. Nice idea. Terrible plug design.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if there are "analogue only" TVs still on sale in NI?

Sure there is. Secondhand in car boot sales and the like :pac:

Dont know of any retail outlets still trying to flog new ones (the distributors have probably "dumped" them all on the Irish market) maybe the odd one shows up in Lidl or a certain well known Service station just off the M1 ?

Dont know of any law/regulation prohibiting/restricting the sale of new analogue only sets though although there really should have been.

BTW were there any restrictions placed on the sale of 405 line only TV sets in Ireland in the early 1960's or regulations specifying that they must cover the Irish VHF 625 line channels ?
    watty wrote: »
    French have a regulation.... insisted you could only sell a TV with SCART. .
    Think they eventually persuaded the rest of the EU to follow suit ?
    SCART. Nice idea. Terrible plug design.
    You could sing that if you had a tune to go with it !

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭scruffy66

If the difference between a TV and monitor is that a TV has a Tuner and i buy a Mpeg 2 TV in the New Year with a 2 year guarantee , surely if the tuner is no longer of use within the 2 year guarantee , then its broken to the use i bought it for [ would i have a case]. I just think we will be a dumping ground for cheap Mpeg 2 TV's that are not of use for DTT that has cost 70 million to put in
    place.

French have a regulation. This is not unusual as they invented SCART and then insisted you could only sell a TV with SCART. Nice idea. Terrible plug design.

The regulation came in to force some years after launch.

scruffy66 wrote: »
    surely if the tuner is no longer of use within the 2 year guarantee , then its broken to the use i bought it for [ would i have a case.

While I would have some sympathy with this notion I can also see a practical argument against it.

What of someone who bought a MW only portable radio just before RTE switched off 567 KHz. Should they be entitled to a refund on their radio ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    While I would have some sympathy with this notion I can also see a practical argument against it.

What of someone who bought a MW only portable radio just before RTE switched off 567 KHz. Should they be entitled to a refund on their radio ?

I'd say yes. Because the shop shouldn't have sold it.

• Advertisement

So if I lived in RoI and wanted to listen to UK/Continental stations at night the shop shouldnt be allowed to sell me a radio ?

Whats the weather like in North Korea this time of year ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Can it pick them up on MW?

I guess someone might buy one before they travel too.

Radio's a little different from a TV though.

If travelling a LW/MW/SW/VHF is more use.

It's not that MW only or Analogue only TV should be illegal. It's that it should also include the other features/bands/codecs needed or else be marked "Export Use only, not compatible with some Irish Serivices".

I get peeved with Car Radios that "only" have MW & VHF. A car Radio should have LW, MW, VHF and maybe DAB as a minimum.

Co-op Sony €99 LW, MW, VHF
    Lidl €69 MW & VHF, no LW, as is typical with Lidl this is not clear on box. Many AM/FM radios tune LW and MW on the AM band/Memories

LW & VHF is far more useful than MW& VHF (LW = R4 in Ireland, RTE R1 in UK, plus even French and German reliably on LW in most of Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

LW & VHF is far more useful than MW& VHF (LW = R4 in Ireland, RTE R1 in UK, plus even French and German reliably on LW in most of Ireland).

It depends what you find useful though. BBC R5Live and TalkSport are both on MW and I'd listen to them very regularly (although I get BBC R5L on DAB now). I used to listen to LW BBC R4 for cricket but I don't need to anymore since they now air it on BBC R5L Sports Xtra. For me MW is infinitely more useful than LW.

If a radio has LW it WILL have MW. Apart from the fixed Atlantic 252 only pocket radio promotional "toys".

It depends if in house, car or travelling too.

If a radio has LW it WILL have MW. .

I have seen LW/FM (no MW) radios. Theyre rare beasts in this part of the world (more common in France) but they do exist.

Well... I must not have been paying attention. :)

Because I've not seen one ever. It just goes to show that "Experience" doesn't equal Fact.

Black Swans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,619 ✭✭✭✭ted1

how many people will actually use this system as oppose to ply upc and freesat. Will people buying a large screen really just want to rely on the irish channels and forget about cable or satellite?

no Saorview + Freesat

People with UPC or Sky will use Saorview for all the other TVs.

UPC have confirmed they will someday be like Sky and require a digibox per TV and turn Analogue cable off, with extra cost per box like Sky Multiroom. They do it already for Digital.

People with Sky often using Freesat + aerial for other TVs. After 2012 they need Saorview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Well... I must not have been paying attention. :)

Because I've not seen one ever. It just goes to show that "Experience" doesn't equal Fact.

Black Swans.
    I have an old Philips FM/LW handheld radio somewhere in the attic, if I come across it I'll post a photo up.

I also remember in a catalogue a number of years ago a firm selling peak caps with a built in radio with two varities, one with FM/MW and the other FM/LW, the latter aimed at those wanting to listen to cricket.

• Advertisement
Advertisement