Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spotting during pregnancy

Options
  • 03-11-2010 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭

I had just wondered if some very light spotting was something that is normal to happen in first trimester, did anyone else have it? I'm getting some this morning, no pain with it though. Had some painful cramps last night but no spotting with it then...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Ring the early pregnancy unit of your hospital and speak to a midwife or ring your gp. Spotting seems to be common enough in the early stages but still it's good to speak to a midwife/gp for reassurance. That's what they're there for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

What How Strange said ^^

I had spotting during the first trimester on my first and was a nervous wreck, rang up the EPU unit, they brought me in checked me out, did a scan and everything was fine.

Best of luck xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

I have my first appointment in Holles St for 22nd.....havent actually gone in there yet so can I still call them about this or do I need to call GP if I havent yet been to the hospital for my first visit?

No, I was only 9 weeks at the time, so I hadn't been to the hospital yet either. I didn't ring my GP at all, I just rang the hosp and they told me to get in when i could. I'm trying to remember, because it was two years ago now, but I think they basically set my file up there and then, gave me my registration number etc, whereas it would have been ready and waiting for me had it been an arranged an appointment.

I was Holles Street too btw. Give them a call now if you can, see what they say, if nothing else it will set your mind at ease xxx

Thanks for the advice, it seems to have gone now but if it starts again later or tomorrow I will call them then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

A friend of mine had some spotting at weeks 7 and 10 and went in to holles street on both occasions. Her first official appointment wasnt until week 17.
    She had a healthy baby girl born last week!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

No, I was only 9 weeks at the time, so I hadn't been to the hospital yet either. I didn't ring my GP at all, I just rang the hosp and they told me to get in when i could. I'm trying to remember, because it was two years ago now, but I think they basically set my file up there and then, gave me my registration number etc, whereas it would have been ready and waiting for me had it been an arranged an appointment.

I was Holles Street too btw. Give them a call now if you can, see what they say, if nothing else it will set your mind at ease xxx

Same thing happened to me, and they said I was absolutely right to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

NextSteps wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me, and they said I was absolutely right to come in.

But was it a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Winnie they do not mind you going in - go in for your scan. I was almost a resident in there for my son.

well like i said, it seems to have stopped now, it was only a bit this morning, so i'll keep an eye on it and if it happens again i'll call them

• Advertisement

Ah glad to read it's stopped, fingers crossed that's the end of it!

Don't think you're putting them out or have any hesitation about going to see them, it is absolutely no bother to them at all, I'm sure it happens often enough. They were lovely with me when it happened and I was seen fairly quickly too....and you get a cheeky glimpse at the heartbeat before you should ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

The early pregnancy unit is there for this very reason. If you are looking for reassurance, just go to the hospital and ask to be seen. Nobody will think that you are being silly and you have every right to look for reassurance at this early stage. I used to work in Holles St as a midwife so I promise that nobody will think you're silly for going in and it will really put your mind at ease to know that everything is ok :)

Thanks for that crazy cat lady......If it happens again before my appointment i'll go in, but no sign of anything yet today so hopefully that's that until I go for appointment in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

But was it a problem?

No, the baby was fine. The doctor said she really didn't know the cause for the bleeding. It was a huge relief to get the scan, though - I wouldn't have been able to take another 24 hours of the stress, never mind a few weeks!

If you go to Holles Street, try to do it within daytime hours if you can - we were there in the evening and had a long wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭flandabieduzie

I have the same symptoms as the original poster, though I know this is an old thread I was was hoping for advice.

I rang my doctor. It's prob week 7 since last menstral cycle began. They have advised me to go to a and e. Does anyone know whether they do a scan or is it an internal examination? Kinda nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I have the same symptoms as the original poster, though I know this is an old thread I was was hoping for advice.

I rang my doctor. It's prob week 7 since last menstral cycle began. They have advised me to go to a and e. Does anyone know whether they do a scan or is it an internal examination? Kinda nervous.

It'll be a scan, possibly an internal scam but they're really not that bad.
    At seven weeks you'll see a heartbeat which will be nice.

Internal exams aren't really done during pregnancy in Ireland. You might have one when you're overdue but chances are you'll be in labour before a hand comes near you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭HazelBee

I had internal scan at almost 7 weeks and it was fine. I had spouting almost everyday until 14 weeks and am 33 weeks now. Fingers crossed all is ok, it seems to be very common in first trimester.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yes I had it on both mine.I was in the Rotunda.You go to the emergency dept of your hospital, they will do a scan.In the Rotunda, they gave an appointment for their early pregnancy unit, about ten days later.You are far enough so the scanner in the EPU will probably pick it up, I have had internal scans at 5&6 weeks though.There's not much to them, they just insert a small wand-type thing and that's it.No pain or anything. I had unexplained brown spotting for a good 8 weeks or so on no.1 and only about four days on no.2.Never found out the reason for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭flandabieduzie

Thanks for all the comments. Had the internal and also a scan. Possibly not as far along as my dates suggest so difficult to get any reassurance that everything is ok. Have been referred to the early pregnancy unit so hopefully that will put any concerns to bed!

Thanks again, it makes it easier when you hear others stories.

Advertisement