Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to access first floor windows cheaply?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

i agree and the good thing is you could tackle a window every week tak in scrap outside paint then inside sand paint let dry refit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Guys I really appreciate all the info around taking them in, but this is something that I cannot do or contemplate at the moment, but I appreciate the info around it. Will post the next guy's quote when I get it and hopefully will be able to find a happy medium. At that stage would love an honest opinion on whether you think that to have someone do it for me e.g. painting it externally if it is a good price. Fair dues to ye all though for highlighting the different options.

Just to update ye on my saga ;) : The third guy came and looked, seemed like a nice guy but never came back to me :confused: Nice to be able to turn down business.

I had a 4th guy up today - his quote is €470 to do the same as the €1500 guy, only difference being it would be one undercoat as opposed to two. I've decided not to go with the guy out on his own so its between these two. Both prices include all materials etc. Both are registered Cork companies - seems like such a massive difference! Even if I ask him to do a second undercoat it won't be anywhere near the first one. Too good to be true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

when you say 5 windows do u mean 5 full Sashs with two windows top and bottom in a sash so in all 10 windows not liking the lower price seems way to cheap and to be honest if this is not done right you will be doing it again in a year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jj build

Donohue scaffolding in lucan where one of the cheapest to hire. they will delver and/or erect if you want , or even better look in the buy and sell, theirs good deals on them there. if you buy second hand examine it well for any damage.Its good practice to tiy the tower to the wall even around the window stile if strong enough.

• Advertisement

massy086 wrote: »
    when you say 5 windows do u mean 5 full Sashs with two windows top and bottom in a sash so in all 10 windows not liking the lower price seems way to cheap and to be honest if this is not done right you will be doing it again in a year

Exactly, but outside only... Grrr how do I decide!?:p

I definitely think I should be saying to do 2 undercoats? (that was the difference between them, cheaper guy would do one under, one gloss, more expensive 2 under, one gloss). Thing is I know the company is decent as it is used by a local university exclusively.

Advertisement