Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAME hair salon - George's Street

• 03-11-2010 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Has anyone been here? Have an appointment this evening and not quite sure what to expect - any feedback welcome :)

Thanks!

PS Having highlights done - has anyone had these done and if so, verdict?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 diana85

I'm very tempted getting the city deal for fame hair salon, but wondering if it's any good.. Anyone out there with some recommendations?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I got a haircut there today. The staff were very friendly and the stylist seemed to really know what he was doing. He listened carefully to what I wanted and made very sensible suggestions while still keeping with my original idea. The haircut came out great! I'm so happy with it :)
    Next time I need a haircut I'm definitely going back there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 claresey

I bought the Citydeal for this & just rang for an appointment - couldnt get one ouside 9-5 until Sunday week (28th). He asked me if it was Citydeal before he would let me know if they could fit me in this weekend so Im suspicious that theyre reserving spots for non-cheapskates!!! Now I hgve two full weekends of skanky hair ahead of me! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭smallgarden

i rang them a few days ago and they hadnt any appointments till the 29th,which was solid two weeks away.i got voucher refunded and got all over permanent hair colour and cut for 60 in local hairdresser so happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 claresey

Hmm.. maybe I should do the same. Thats the drawback of Citydeals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭smallgarden

you can only get refund if its within 7 working days,mine was right on the 7th working day so was lucky,hopefully yours is within that timeframe.if not can always ask.the email address is at bottom of voucher support@citydeal.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 peeweegirl

I got my hair done here the other day on the citydeal thing. So annoyed. I asked for a full head, blonde highlights, little bit of trim but as im growing my hair, just take the bare minimum. I came out with roots so it looks like i didnt get it done all, the colour they use must be crap! They she took loads off hair, it set my long hair plans by a year id say. Im so raging! I would ordinarily have said to her that i wasnt happy and ask to get the highlights done again but theres no way im letting her back near me. Thatll learn me for trying to skimp on the cost of my hair. Never again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 tk92

I got my haircut here last week and i have long, thin hair which hairdressers still usually charge a fortune for yet spend apprx 10mins doing!!

Anyway Fame were lovely and gave my hair the attention it deserved!
    Great value and cut i am really happy with.

I will certainly go back and soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dec1892

Offer on city deal today again which appears like good value (Wash, Conditioning Treatment, Cut, Blow Dry, Colour or E. Meche Highlights and an Alfaparf Illuminating Hair Mask for €67 instead of €168)…….thinking of getting it for the wife for her birthday present…….would ye recommend it or swerve it for somewhere else? All help appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭gaoife

Thinking of getting the deal, does anyone else get their highlights done here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 stephwalsh

Dec - I've been there 3 times now and I would have no problem recommending it.

Fame Hair is run by a guy called Paul who is originally from China but has run his own salon in Bray for 15 years (if I remember correctly!). He's very nice and very good at what he does.

The staff are mainly Malaysian/Chinese but they are very attentive and do a great job.

I've now stopped going to Toni and Guy (recessionary times after all) and now go to Fame instead. Went on Saturday to get full head of highlights and have had few ppl comment how nice it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 stephwalsh

Gaoife - I've been there. Any questions, PM me :)

Happy to recommend it.

It's so much cheaper than most places and they do a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭gaoife

Just ordered :D thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dec1892

Thanks Steph for the feedback - have gone ahead and booked the voucher for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ms_Ali_B

Had typed out a long reply but It's disappeared.

Anyway - had a bad experience.

Was left waiting for 35 mins after my appointment time with no apology.

Had three different people put in my highlights

Fourth person - who cut my hair was rude and cut off twice as much as I asked for.

I still had roots at the end of it all as they rushed the colouring process due to starting me so late (they wanted to close).

Maybe I got them on a bad day but my advice is to avoid. I will never risk them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 diana85

I went there with my Citydeal voucher on Friday, and I had a great experience! All staff were so friendly and attentive. Wasn't left waiting for long, was asked if I wanted something to drink a few times, really nice. The girl who actually did my hair, Anca, is Romanian, and did an amazing job with my hair, she listened(!) and did exactly what I wanted, made some suggestions as well. Anyway it's been such a long time since I came out of a hairdressers loving my hair!! I didn't get highlights though since I've brown hair, so she mixed two colours to get close to my own natural hair, but went a bit lighter which I wanted. Overall great experience, and would most definitely recommend them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

peeweegirl wrote: »
    I asked for a full head, blonde highlights, ... I came out with roots so it looks like i didnt get it done all,

I just want to point out that highlights are not supposed to give 100% coverage. If you want 100% root coverage you need an all over tint.
    Highlights are for highlight effect only. you will still have root regrowth on the 'non-highlighted' bits.

I just want to point out that highlights are not supposed to give 100% coverage. If you want 100% root coverage you need an all over tint.
    Highlights are for highlight effect only. you will still have root regrowth on the 'non-highlighted' bits.

While this is true, when you are used to getting highlights you know what to expect and those kind of roots shouldn't be still visible. I had the line from my last highlights clearly visible.

Am delighted other people are having better experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 EMILY30

Hi I got the city deal voucher and like other users tried to make an appointment. They asked if I was a city deal holder first, when I said yes they said there was no avaialibilty. Out of curiosity I rang the next day and said I didnt have a voucher and they said they had availibility for the day Id wanted! So basically they lied to me! When I pointed this out, they hung up the phone on me! When I rang back again she tried to tell me that someone had miraciously just requested that time and date, which was impossible as I rang straight back, so more lies! In the end she told me she didnt care and hung up

You should report them to citydeal! That's even worse than my experience as it is blatant!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 EMILY30

I did and luckily I got a refund from them, I just hope no one else has to have the srtessful experience I had just trying to get an affordable haircut in recession! She told me I could have an appointment if I paid cash, can you believe it, I tried to pint out Id already paid for their services! Oh well by sounds of it had lucky escape anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭chickenchaser

Got eyebrows threaded here last week for €15 with the discount they offer in the window. Went in on way home, no appointment.

The girl did a great job, very gentle touch and very fast, she gave my eyebrows a nice shape that will last a few weeks. No pain, no ripped bits of skin and a decent amount of hair taken of the top and bottom of brows.

I think I'll be going here in future.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Anyone get their nails done there? I have a party next week and can't afford to get my make up done so was gonna get my nails filed and polished, maybe French polish. The last time I got a cheap French (€9 in Berlin!) it was hilariously bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 cmaclo

I've never had to wait over 2 weeks for a hair appointment in my life!!!!
    ...i had a feeling they were up to something and what you guys have been saying about the voucher treatment makes total sense as i told them i had one while making the appointment.

Trying to cancel this now.... fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

I was asked if I was City Deal before they'd give an appt - when they heard that I wasn't City Deal it was no problem getting an appt. But that's not my complaint - I thought they did the crappest job I've had done on my hair in a long number of years.

The colour is the most bland mousey brown I've ever got, I could've done a better job myself with a cheapo home kit. It was put on the roots and never run through the rest of my hair - everywhere else I've been runs the colour though with 5/10 mins to washing out time. Seriously, I used a decent home colour when I was broke a year ago, and it was way way better. I don't know whether they are using crap colour or what.

I was told it'd be "about half an hour" with the colour - when I looked at the time, it had been an hour. My scalp is still pink - pink from being irritated, and also it looks like it is dyed - my hair is not very thick, and I can see brown/orange where my hair is thinest.

The girl who does reception is almost impossible to understand, and then gets snippy if you don't understand her. I don't care where anyone is from, but it is not on to be in a customer services job and be difficult to understand - and then rude when asked to repeat what was said.

The stylist was just about ok. Not a great job blow-drying my hair, dried it to the wrong side, having said it to him where my parting fell. Not the most professional - kept dragging the wire across my face, and bumping my head with the dryer!

It was just amateur and almost 80 for a pretty crap job. I would never recommend it to anyone, or go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ofin

myself & my sister just had our hair done here yesterday. thought they were brilliant. had the citydeal voucher...got full head of highlights and cut...really happy & the one person did everything which i love (hate the way other salons charge you for senior stylist and the junior ends up doing your hair!)
    would recommend and will be going back. they also do nails & threading very reasonable too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Maniemoo

Had my hair done here last week with the citydeal voucher - the cut was fine but the colour was a disaster. I asked for blonde highlights and because I had previously coloured my hair, about 2 inches of my roots were a different shade of brown and she said the highlights would turn out a slightly different shade on the roots than on the rest. Grand ...
    SLIGHTLY different??? The highlights came out really blonde on my roots but a sort of pinky/coppery colour on the rest of my hair! It was hideous, basically I had to go back to my usual salon on Sat with my tail between my legs and pay to get the whole lot dyed brown again (I know I probably should have gone back to Fame and made them fix it but I wouldn't let them near me again!) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mrs K

Used my citydeal voucher today. Waited approx 10 days to get an appointment that suited me. I hadn't got my highlights done in over 10 weeks! Have to say so happy with both colour and cut! They gave me loadsa highlights felt like way more highlights then I normally get. I was offered two cups of tea/coffee/water! Normally I go to industry leader and usually pay between 128-144 so this was half the price! Blow-dry was brilliant my hair is full of volume and bounce. I got a flyer/leaflet when I was leaving offering 30% of highlights! Will be on the lookout for next citydeal offer! Would recommend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭gypsy_rose

well, there's another citydeal for it today, and from reading this thread I have absolutely no clue whether to get it or not :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

gypsy_rose wrote: »
    well, there's another citydeal for it today, and from reading this thread I have absolutely no clue whether to get it or not :P

I just bought it! Having read this thread, I'm not sure whether to be happy about that or not :pac:

I'm sure things can't go too badly wrong with a simple wash and blow dry ... Maybe I'll just get a little bit of a trim to be on the safe side! :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭maupat

Hi,

I availed of the last week's City Deal offer and booked an app at Fame at the weekend.

Gotta say that overall I left feeling a bit disappointed. Staff seemed like they weren't fully sure of what they were doing. Hair stylist kinda did her own thing with my hair and while there has been no drastic change (highlights didn't turn out great) or damage, I felt she didn't listen and the place lacked professionalism in general.

I was offered tea - but in a cracked cup!!

Don't think I'll be going back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MariaMe

Hi

I got my hair done in Fame Salon today with a Citydeal voucher and it's the WORST haircut I've ever had. The deal was for wash, cut, blowdry and treatment and then I paid an extra €47 for a full head of highlights. The colour looks the same as when I went in, you can hardly notice that it took three and a half hours. The worst bit is the shape - they cut way too much off and it has no shape and I now look like Friar Tuck!eek.gif A total waste of money. Am even considering extensions because I just can't be like this!

I will NEVER go back, regardless of what they offer on Citydeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 manana

my hair has orange streaks and brown patches! the most dreadful result in many years of going to hairdressers. the back is fine but the front - the most visible - not professional. the hair dye was still washing out at home after three applications of shampoo. they seem very amateur. it took nearly 3 hours for highlights, colour and cut- call them careful perhaps but really a measure of lack of experience. their english unfortunately isn't good either so it'shard to communicate outside of smiley nods on both sides. maybe that's why i didn't get the cut I asked for either. in a few days i will try to home dye it all to undo it. and the hair will grow.

Be warned: the reviews above show a pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 redgp

I got eyelash extensions there yesterday with the citydeal voucher. Shocking result. The girl glued my eye together. She had to force them open with her fingers!! She brought the eyelashes in way to far, they're crooked and there's a massive gap on one eye. Went back to my own beauty salon offering them anything to remove them. I have a wedding tomorrow. And they tried everything to dissolve the glue and couldn't. They even asked me am I sure she used eyelash glue and not household superglue. They still burn this morning. Beware they aren't fully qualified either. She could have blinded me!!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lkelly

diana85 wrote: »
    I went there with my Citydeal voucher on Friday, and I had a great experience! All staff were so friendly and attentive. Wasn't left waiting for long, was asked if I wanted something to drink a few times, really nice. The girl who actually did my hair, Anca, is Romanian, and did an amazing job with my hair, she listened(!) and did exactly what I wanted, made some suggestions as well. Anyway it's been such a long time since I came out of a hairdressers loving my hair!! I didn't get highlights though since I've brown hair, so she mixed two colours to get close to my own natural hair, but went a bit lighter which I wanted. Overall great experience, and would most definitely recommend them!

Just want to second what diana85 said - I had my hair cut by Anca in fame, Georges St, yesterday, and she did a brilliant job, I really love it. Would recommend her to anyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement