Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bale or Nani?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Nani in 2010 has 29 starts, (4 sub appearances) and so far has 20 goals and 10 assists. United would be f*cked without him this year.

He's been absolutely magnificent and in the absence of the Rooney/Valancia double show has shown he's a player Unitd are now starting to rely on as a consistent producer where it really matters. As for big European performances look at Nani vs Munich last eason - he was brilliant, scored twice and ran himself into the ground when others went missing.

And the good thing is theres so much more to come, his decision making and passing can still improve further. He is so much better this season than last and I think the curve is still moving upwards. He's added workate this year as well. Another Ferguson master stroke.

Bale has been unbelieveable at times, but Nani has prouced week in week out for me. Can't wait till their both patrolling the wings at United tbh.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

bale is 10 times better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

bale is 10 times better.

hardly.

I voted Bale purely on the basis that of the two I would prefer to have him in my team and I think that he has greater potential than Nani overall.

It may have been influenced by the fact that I hate Nanis histronics also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Nani but can't I have both :) . Come on fergie sign Bale up . Bale depends on his pace a lot though needs to bring a bit of skill to his game . If spurs had a top striker bale but would have a lot more assists IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

THFC wrote: »
    Because he's better.

how? this years stats indicate Nani is better and more consistent. (partly because Nani is better)

also, I'd like to add my name to the "Raf handled Bale last weekend" comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

flahavaj wrote: »
    And the good thing is theres so much more to come, his decision making and passing can still improve further. He is so much better this season than last and I think the curve is still moving upwards. He's added workate this year as well. Another Ferguson master stroke.

:pac: 25.5 million euro player he ain't. Saying he can get better is stating the obvious, he might not, he might revert to type ala Berbatov. Another Ferguson master stroke.

Bargain. He's a young player improving all the time and a front runner for player of the year at the moment. Not sure what this "type" you're referring to is? He's improving with age so the chances of him suddenly returning to the immture player he was at the start United career are far less than him continuing to improve at the exponential rate he has been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Look at the poll. Its near impossible to prove that one is better than the other. Whatever about Bale getting cleaned
    by Rafael, in two games against the best RB in the world he scored three and assisted two. He has proved he is a big game player. I think Nani is very good, but he still has to prove it at an equally high level. Thats just my opinion though. Perhaps ye should ask the other 58 people who voted on this. :D

I'm neither worried in the slightest or surprised by the poll results tbh.

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    Bargain. He's a young player improving all the time and a front runner for player of the year at the moment. Not sure what this "type" you're referring to is? He's improving with age so the chances of him suddenly returning to the immture player he was at the start United career are far less than him continuing to improve at the exponential rate he has been.

The type is his form before this calender year and if you look at his record since he came to United.

A bargain is over 25 mill for a player who might win player of the year after 3 years at the club and a couple of months into a season?

Master stroke indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Look at the poll. Its near impossible to prove that one is better than the other. Whatever about Bale getting cleaned
    by Rafael, in two games against the best RB in the world he scored three and assisted two. He has proved he is a big game player. I think Nani is very good, but he still has to prove it at an equally high level. Thats just my opinion though. Perhaps ye should ask the other 58 people who voted on this. :D

The best right back in the world who is playing worse than ever. Maicon has been getting owned in Serie A since he didn't get his move to Real Madrid.

Bale hasn't done it in the Premier League enough for me compared to how Nani has played. He is far more suited to European football.

You can't deny that Bale hadn't a look in with Rafael.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

in two games against the best RB in the world he scored three and assisted two. He has proved he is a big game player.

ok, this sort of thing, particularly the first part, is being said a lot, and it's painfully misleading.

Maicon is, and i'm quoting Senor Benitez here, the best offensive RB in the world. defensively, he is suspect, the same as Roberto Carlos used to be suspect.

and when his central midfield isn't helping him too much (i.e. pressing the ball and not letting Bale get a head of speed), then Bale can be nigh-on impossible to deal with for most.

against Utd, Rafael hugged the touchline, as he had been told to do, and Fletcher did the job that Inter's central midfield should have been doing last night, covering the inside channel, and basically double teaming him before he can get going.

Bale supporters and the media are making out that young Gareth has just made a fúcking mockery of a defender of the calibre of a Maldini.

not even close, and as much as I like Benitez, his team either didn't follow his instructions properly, or he was naive in regards to Bale last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Very true, Maicon is hardly held up as the best in the world for his defensive ability

Also, why did nobody tell me we paid 25 million for Nani? Even the highest guesstimates have all been topped at 18million (significantly higher then the fee that was actually paid btw)

The hype machine is more powerful then X Factor isnt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

against a top team Bale against a crap team nani.

thats no disrespect on nani he just seems more effective in most cases against lower teams. Just like Ronaldo for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Every time my team plays Inter Milan - Bale

All other matches - Nani

4 goals & 8 assists in 10 League games dwarfs 2 goals & 1 assist

Clearly Bale comes across ass a nicer bloke and he doesn't play for United so it's obvious he'll win this poll though!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Nani will rip teams like Bolton & West Brom apart.
    Bale will rip teams like the European Champions & German (close enough) Champions apart.

Is there any real contest here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

tdv123 wrote: »
    Bale will rip teams like the European Champions & German (close enough) Champions apart.

Bale will do absoultely against United. While Nani set up a goal and scored against Spurs.

yeah, there is a real contest. Unless you're an idiot.

kryogen wrote: »
    Very true, Maicon is hardly held up as the best in the world for his defensive ability

Also, why did nobody tell me we paid 25 million for Nani? Even the highest guesstimates have all been topped at 18million (significantly higher then the fee that was actually paid btw)

The hype machine is more powerful then X Factor isnt it
    Nani was sold to Manchester United for €25.5 million,[5][6][7] five percent of which was paid to Real de Massamá.[8] He passed his medical on 6 June 2007,[9] and signed a five-year contract a month later, joining Portugal team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo – with whom he lived for a time at the start of his Manchester United career[10] – at the club.[11]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nani_(footballer)

How do you mean, "significantly higher then the fee that was actually paid"?

both players will rip a lot of teams apart for goodness sake.

Bale will exploit a weakness more ruthlessly i reckon, which in the Champions League has been the lack of pressing of space, which he will murder all day long...while Nani is more adaptable to a situation he might come across, and was the difference in a game like this past weekend's for instance.

it depends what you want in your team.

i think we should all be able to at least agree that they're both top players. there's no need to call either one vastly inferior.

any such comment should really just be dismissed out of hand regardless, because it's just plain wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Bales season reminds me of Morten Gamst Pedersons of 3/4 years ago. Would put in an absolute blinder of a performance one in five games but would go missing for the rest.

The poll result is based completely on the buzz off last nights performance tbh, let it all settle down with another average performance or two from Bale and it should swing slightly back in Nani's favour.

Obviously Nani will never win a poll on boards because of the hatred for his playacting, and I have to admit as a united fan it certainly is overwhelming even for us at times.

However based on his footballing ability Nani has to win this one, should Bale turn his outstanding performances into consistency I would definitely change my mind, but untill that happens, Nani.

• Advertisement

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Bale will do absoultely against United. While Nani set up a goal and scored against Spurs.

yeah, there is a real contest. Unless you're an idiot.

Oh yeah thats right the flukiest most un-sportsmenship like goal of all time.

Your not really painting Nani in a better light here for me.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Bale because I don't like Nani

Bale because I don't like Nani

At least you're honest ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I picked Bale, cause i'm a spurs fan and i prefer him. Nani is a good player, but i can't stand him. Completely biased opinion, but there you go.

curry-muff wrote: »
    Bales season reminds me of Morten Gamst Pedersons of 3/4 years ago. Would put in an absolute blinder of a performance one in five games but would go missing for the rest.

The poll result is based completely on the buzz off last nights performance tbh
    , let it all settle down with another average performance or two from Bale and it should swing slightly back in Nani's favour.

Obviously Nani will never win a poll on boards because of the hatred for his playacting, and I have to admit as a united fan it certainly is overwhelming even for us at times.

However based on his footballing ability Nani has to win this one, should Bale turn his outstanding performances into consistency I would definitely change my mind, but untill that happens, Nani.

Well thats rich seeing as how all the hype around Nani lately has only been over the last couple of weeks. Nani has been one of the inconsistant players in the premiership the last few seasons. Great bit of skill or a wonder goal one week & then nothing from him for weeks. There both pretty inconsistant players really.

Nani played to the whistle, Gomez didn't. The keeper messed up and Nani did his job, nothing unsportsmanlike about it.

Your not really painting Nani in a better light here for me.

So if that exact scenario happen for Spurs and Bale, you expect Bale not to kick the ball into the empty net?

Firstly, if that's the case, I certainly do NOT want Bale in my team!!! What kind of attacking player would pass up an open goal!

Secondly, and probably the more overlooked point during this argument this week. Had the referee had done his job 100% correctly he would have awarded United with a penalty. Therefore probably a second assist for Nani on the night, or a goal if he took the penalty(and scored of course)

So if that exact scenario happen for Spurs and Bale, you expect Bale not to kick the ball into the empty net?

Firstly, if that's the case, I certainly do NOT want Bale in my team!!! What kind of attacking player would pass up an open goal!

Secondly, and probably the more overlooked point during this argument this week. Had the referee had done his job 100% correctly he would have awarded United with a penalty. Therefore probably a second assist for Nani on the night, or a goal if he took the penalty(and scored of course)

This is all really new and interesting. Can we discuss this for the next 70 odd pages?:)

Ush1 wrote: »
    This is all really new and interesting. Can we discuss this for the next 70 odd pages?:)

Don't blame me!!! The topic went this direction, and yes I admit, I went with it :o

back on topic please

• Advertisement

I for one can't speak for Bale because I don't know what he would. All I know is I wouldnt want to win a game of football the way Nani did.

Iago wrote: »
    hardly.

I voted Bale purely on the basis that of the two I would prefer to have him in my team and I think that he has greater potential than Nani overall.

It may have been influenced by the fact that I hate Nanis histronics also

I'm going to expand on this a little.

When I'm evaluating players and their worth or lack of, which is all relative obviously given that they are in the top 0.00001% of all footballers in the world, the biggest consideration for me is "do they make the right decisions?"

Nani is still making the wrong decision in any given circumstance far too often, and that is the frustrating thing about him. He has natural ability and talent but his footballing brain and decision making are shocking at times.

Bale on the other hand tends to make the right decision more often than not, when I've seen him play anyway, now granted sometimes he doesn't have the technical ability or natural skill to actually pull it off all the time but he's making the right decisions.

I really like Bale as a player, but Nani even though he's playing well at the moment doesn't excite or enthrall me. I'm always worried when he gets the ball that he's going to mess it up, and I think he's far too slow to see and exploit opportunities and he slows the game down for United when there's no need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Nani>>>>>Bale

My fantasy football team tells me so

Mind you, Bale is much more likeable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Fenix wrote: »
    I thought we were 'past' these threads :(

We were on a break!

Well thats rich seeing as how all the hype around Nani lately has only been over the last couple of weeks. Nani has been one of the inconsistant players in the premiership the last few seasons. Great bit of skill or a wonder goal one week & then nothing from him for weeks. There both pretty inconsistant players really.

I don't see where you are getting that from, Nani has been consistent since the start of the season this year, hence why even his doubters are turning into admirers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Bale ffs isnt even worth discussing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

curry-muff wrote: »
    I don't see where you are getting that from, Nani has been consistent since the start of the season this year, hence why even his doubters are turning into admirers.

He was brilliant from February onwards last season too - one of our best performers for that stretch, having barely featured at all before that due to stinking it up whenever he did play.

His play this season has been a continuation of his form from last season, and certainly shows consistency.

He's been consistently good all of 2010 tbh - a model of comnsistency in fact as well as improving significantly in terms of workrate,

we're also all in danger of eulogising Nani here.

he's still petulant, often makes the wrong choice, and has been frustrating a lot of times this season.

i could go back through match threads and see Nani absolutely lambasted by fans.

the main difference is that Nani seems to be getting those one or 2 moments a game that are resulting in goals this year. that is what has him a nose in front of Bale, right now, for me.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    we're also all in danger of eulogising Nani here.

he's still petulant, often makes the wrong choice, and has been frustrating a lot of times this season.

i could go back through match threads and see Nani absolutely lambasted by fans.

the main difference is that Nani seems to be getting those one or 2 moments a game that are resulting in goals this year. that is what has him a nose in front of Bale, right now, for me.

I've accepted Nani's frustrating moments as I don't see them changing, as long as the goals/assists keep pouring in I'll turn a blind eye to his flaws (like: diving, skying free-kicks, failing to be the first man from corners) It's a defeatist attitude to have, but it's realistic.

In fairness to him, he has improved in other areas, he's taken more responsibility, particularly in his defensive duties. For instance, at one time when he'd lose a ball he'd just stand-around frustrated, this season he'd try to win it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

LOL.

Did you miss Nani's goals and general performance against the actual German champions?
    Or his performance at the emirates?

No problem with anyone picking bale, he's a smashing player, just don't base your reasoning on total bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've been a big critic of Nani in the past. He has stepped it up this season. My big problem with Nani was his inconsistency. Brilliant one week and then the next week he'd look like he was only playing for himself. His delivery at times was very poor. There was a very important game away to Blackburn last season I stll remember where I thought he was awful and it proved a very significant 2 points dropped in the end. I do think he has improved a lot since then. Perhaps Valencia's injury has spurred him on because he's now able to play on the right and isn't at risk of rotation as much.

Bale has been great this season whenever I've seen him. Even in the game against United where he was dealt with quite well overall, he still had some moments where he almost produced something.

I voted Bale in this poll but thinking about it now I'm not so sure. Would I be comfortable if United participated in a swap deal with Nani for Bale? I think I'd have my doubts. Bale is still young and it's a big ask for him to keep up this kind of form. I hope he does as he seems like a nice guy and Welsh fans deserve something to cheer them up.

Overall I think both are very close in terms of the quality contributions they give their teams. It will be interesting to see if both manage to sustain what they have done this season. In Fantasy Football terms, you definitely need both. :pac:

Ush1 wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nani_(footballer)

How do you mean, "significantly higher then the fee that was actually paid"?

so your claim (backed up by wikipedia of all things, is that we paid about 17 million for him, other valuations, including another part of the all knowing wiki have it at 14 million, i believe it to be around 12 million with add ons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It has to be Bale for me. He has a lot on his side such as age, pace, less mistakes, more of a team player too.

I'm not berating Nani's skills at all just think that looking both short term and long term that Bale offers more consistency and a couple of years extra too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He was brilliant from February onwards last season too - one of our best performers for that stretch, having barely featured at all before that due to stinking it up whenever he did play.

His play this season has been a continuation of his form from last season, and certainly shows consistency.

whenever Nani has gotten a run of games he has been very consistent. He's not a player that could only play once in 3 weeks and put in a great performance like he was expected to last season at the start. In his first season he was the most creative player on the team assist wise when he was playing regularly and then the next season he was barely played once a month and it all went arseways.

• Advertisement

Is Nani old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I suppose we're basing this on form so Bale shades it, simply because his performances have been so impressive on every level.
    Nani is hitting the net and chipping in a decent amount of assists to boot this season, he's much improved and can keep on an upward curve should he make the effort which I'm sure he will.
    What really pisses me off about Nani is his delivery from corners and free kicks, when he gets it right he's fantastic but 90% of the time his corners dont get beyond the first defender which is really basic stuff for a player of his type to be getting right.
    Lot's of people think I'm down on Nani the whole time, but I really just want to see him doing the basics which make up the majority of what a player does as well as the sublime goals he's scoring. He's capable of so much more than he's already achieveing and that will hopefully be realised by him getting the basics nailed down.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

kryogen wrote: »
    Is Nani old?
    Nani is 24 and Bale 21.

So Nani is not old.... ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

He took his time maturing though...

• Advertisement
Advertisement