Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this ?

Options
  • 03-11-2010 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭

Not Dublin City as such, but just appeared one day in the sea beside the Great South Wall...was offshore gas discovered ?

5111129523_2e1f5b47fa_o.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Can that not be used by ferries somehow?

holyhead-12165-05390336.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

I heard from a reliable source that it's Bono's new fortress where he will put the finishing touches to his evil plans of taking over the world.

*Cue lightning Strike sound effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

that was used off Dun Laoghaire last year to test the seabed for putting up wind turbines. dunno what its for now though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Cookie_Monster is pretty much on the money. It's a platform for drilling for core samples of the seabed which get tested in a geotechnical lab to assess the kind of loads the seabed will take. Used for the likes of land reclamation, various other kinds of foundations (turbine, platform....)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Given the above I wonder what it's doing there, just off the south wall on Sandymount strand isn't it?

Too close for turbines, protected habitat for bird too iirc.
    Can't really reclaim it.
    Piping or cabling of some kind or something to do with the stability of the wall?

• Advertisement

Actually it might have something to do with this sort of thing:

http://www.aquamarinepower.com/technologies/

They're set up pretty near to shore I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Doubt it Anonboy, not many waves there.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Doubt it Anonboy, not many waves there.

That's very true. I should stop googling hopefully and just admit I have no idea what it's for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

tricky D wrote: »
    Cookie_Monster is pretty much on the money. It's a platform for drilling for core samples of the seabed which get tested in a geotechnical lab to assess the kind of loads the seabed will take. Used for the likes of land reclamation, various other kinds of foundations (turbine, platform....)

I think the word Seacore on the side of the platform in the first photo gives a hint too.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Looking to lay new sewage pipes from the ****house in poolbeg to Booterstown.

• Advertisement
Advertisement