Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC 1 HD on Freesat?

• 03-11-2010 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hi a quick question I thought BBC1 HD was launching today or is only on Freeview HD?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Hi a quick question I thought BBC1 HD was launching today or is only on Freeview HD?
    It's due to launch at 7pm today. On Freesat receivers, BBC HD is moving to 109 and BBC1 HD will be at position 108. If you have programmes scheduled to record on BBC HD after 7pm today you will need to redo after the switch. Probably best to switch the box into standby before 7 and then switch it on after 7 and accept the tuning changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Will it show on the Freesat EPG shortly before 7pm then? It usually prompts you to do a rescan when a new channel is added but I'd nothing like that on my box this morning.

Edit: Fat tony answered my question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Just did a Factory reset on Humax foxsat hdr, BBC One HD is on Freesat EPG Channel 108

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Just rebooted my Humax Foxsat HDR, BBC One HD (108) is on and in Freesat EPG Channel 108, but the red button isn't working yet.

The large BBC One HD DOG in the top left corner is gone too! I also noticed the BBC HD (109) DOG has moved I think - it's really in the top left corner now.

• Advertisement

Red button working fine on my BBC One HD and BBC HD, I cant remember how the channel dog was on BBC HD.

@FRIENDO, your red button on BBC One HD is working? I'm getting a error message on my screen.
    "Due to a technical problem, we are unable
    to carry out your request at this time.

We apologise for any inconvenience."

I've my Humax setup with a London postcode!

The old (yesterday) BBC HD dog had a space to the left of the dog about the same length as the BBC logo (3 squares) from the edge of the screen.

I wonder will the BBC One HD channel have a dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

GeneHunt wrote: »

They were certainly testing one.

Red button is fine now. You just need to put the box into standby and then re-boot. No need for factory reset - you will lose your schedule of recordings if you do that.

I understand the "Red button" issue was due to phased loading of MHEG data - all ok now.

GeneHunt wrote: »
    @FRIENDO, your red button on BBC One HD is working? I'm getting a error message on my screen.

I've my Humax setup with a London postcode!

The old (yesterday) BBC HD dog had a space to the left of the dog about the same length as the BBC logo (3 squares) from the edge of the screen.

Ye I also use London post code, I think fat-tony may have shed some light on the matter.

• Advertisement

My Sony Freesat TV with Northern Ireland postcode is working ok with the red button on BBC One HD. I've rebooted the Humax (from the switch the back - off for more that 30 seconds) and still on joy with the red button, I'll not lose to much sleep over it - there's still the other BBC channels to get it on if I need it. It'll probably sort itself out over night!

regarding the dog I just looked up the BBC website (here) and yes the BBC One HD will have a dog (smaller that the one that was up over the last few days).

That's strange about your problem with the red button. I also use a London postcode (her Maj's actually!) and I re-booted around 1 pm (no power off - just into standby and out of it) and up came the re-tune box. I accepted it and once the re-tune was over I loaded the EPG to check the programme reservations. Then I checked the red button and all was ok.

ps - referring to your link to the BBC technical blog - isn't it interesting to note the difference in approach between the BBC and RTE as regards technical information. I have, several times, asked on the terrestrial forum, if RTENL would make comments on the testing/trial DTT service over the past year or so. It would make a world of difference if RTENL would be more forthcoming about the service and take feedback from interested individuals with a technical interest. It would cut down on the endless speculation about the reason for this or that on the forums.

fat-tony wrote: »
    ps - referring to your link to the BBC technical blog - isn't it interesting to note the difference in approach between the BBC and RTE as regards technical information. I have, several times, asked on the terrestrial forum, if RTENL would make comments on the testing/trial DTT service over the past year or so. It would make a world of difference if RTENL would be more forthcoming about the service and take feedback from interested individuals with a technical interest. It would cut down on the endless speculation about the reason for this or that on the forums.

Isn't it great that the BBC will let there employees access the internet, RTENL could learn something from this!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

I just found the BBC technical blog from a link on the www.joinfreesat.co.uk site. It would stop all the speculation alright if RTENL was to have technical blog like the BBC have, It's not just terrestrial DTT trails but also the Saorsat technical speculation too or why TV3 are sitting on the frence with the Saorview trail / service.... best to stop now and get back to the topic again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭AstralTV

this from Rapid TV news today

Curtain up for BBC One HD

Editor ©RapidTVNews | 03-11-2010

With a seemingly odd lack of fuss or fanfare the BBC is to unveil at 19:00 GMT what will become its flagship channel, BBC One HD.

At launch, the new HD channel will broadcast the BBC One schedule, showing both true HD and upscaled programmes with the majority of peak time programmes in native HD. Almost every other current programme—such as daytime programmes, news programmes and programmes containing substantial amounts of archive material— will be upscaled.
    The BBC HD playout service will be run by Red Bee Media, in a previous incarnation the BBC’s Technology division, who will receive an uncompressed HD SDI signal at its coding site. Siemens will be responsible for managing encoders and Arqiva managing the DTT transmitters. Virgin Media will perform its own encoding for cable TV viewing. Siemens will also manage the satellite transmission bundle for Freesat and Sky.
    After getting ready the BBC One HD playout suite for the 3 November launch, Red Bee engineers will move on to rebuilding BBC One's complete playout suite in HD. On completion, SD playout will be derived from a down conversion of the HD version. The rationale for the two-stage strategy was to make sure that the BBC One HD channel was on air before Christmas 2010.
    For the time being the BBC will continue operation of its BBC HD Channel to show off flagship content such as major sporting events, natural history, music and motoring. At launch, viewers will not be able to watch the news on BBC One HD even though the BBC will continue to broadcast some individual news events in HD, such as the General Election.BBC News will likely be working from a new HD-ready news centre by 2012/13.
    Similarly, some children's and sport programmes will not be made in HD until those teams relocate to new HD studios. Ultimately the corporation does not expect the ‘vast majority’ of all BBC One titles across all hours to be broadcast in true HD until 2012 when all of the UK will be able to receive HD over DTT.

Read more: Curtain up for BBC One HD | News | Rapid TV News http://www.rapidtvnews.com/index.php/201011038614/curtain-up-for-bbc-one-hd.html#ixzz14EP3nrhu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Quick question......on HD on Freesat (other than by SKY's digibox.....because the one that I have is an original "plain jane" digibox).....replacing my digibox with a HD receiver......do I have to install a second coaxil cable from the dish to the receiver in order to receive HD TV.....or is the second cable only required if I want to use a HD with a receiver that records one channel while I watch another...thanks in anticipation.....:confused:

You only need a second feed (and a dual, quad or octo lnb) if you are using a satellite receiver with two tuners - as you say - for recording one channel while you watch another.

You can simply replace your old sky receiver with a new Freesat HD receiver, no extra cable required.

Advertisement