Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB sticks hidden in walls....

• 03-11-2010 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭

Article here
    There’s A USB Stick In The Brick Wall

500x_deaddrops2.jpgAcross New York, there are USB drives embedded in walls, buildings and curbs. The idea is to create an anonymous, offline file-sharing network in public space. The drives are completely public and anyone can plug in to drop and download files.
    Seriously, you can plug the USB drive into your laptop. Like this guy.
    340x_deaddrops.jpg
    It’s part of an art project called “Dead Drops” by Aram Bartholl and I have to say, it’s pretty awesomely creative. I mean, if I saw a USB stick stick out of a random wall, I’d be dying to know what’s in there. I’d have to plug in. It’d also be interesting to see what people would anonymously share on the public drive, well, until some jackass decides to upload a virus to screw up everybody’s computer.

What do you think? Will we see it here? I wouldn't fancy connecting my device to one of those. Interesting idea though!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

I wouldn't fancy connecting my device to one of those.

Indeed - it's like a data glory hole. It could be lots of fun, but you never know what you might catch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

And you just know they'll all end up broken in a very short period of time, whether through misuse or more likely, easy target thuggery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

So he's drilling holes into other people's buildings and announcing to the net that he's done it? Given that it's America, how has no one gone after him for damages?

Great idea though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

They'd be riddled with malware and viruses before long.

Sure I've heard of government agencies who handed out free usb keys at trade shows, but they contained malware which allowed them to perform commercial espionage.

Certainly wouldn't trust usb keys stuck in a wall.

Anyway, the connectors would probably rust in the rain before long.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Between rain and idiots they'll be broken in no time at all,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

insta virus distribution imo.

Advertisement