Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actors equity

Options
  • 03-11-2010 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

I know this has nothing to do with this thread but I have always been interested in acting, I have no formal training whatsoever but is adding your face to equity worth doing? How do you go about joining, is it expensive? Any info would be very well recieved, thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭TygerKrash

moved from Boards Drama Group.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

http://www.irishequity.ie/content/view/13/37/

As it says, it's for professional actors. That's not to say that you can't do other work, but acting should be your primary profession, however scantily you get work.

Equity is a union moreso than anything else, so if you're looking for somewhere to "add your face", then equity is the wrong place to do it.

The Irish drama community is small. Tiny, in fact. Your first two goals should be getting some basic training and getting involved in doing shows. As you do shows, you will gather friends and contacts in the industry, which will get you more work. If you're good, the more work you do, the more chance you have of being accepted by an agency. Then you can look at joining equity to ensure that you're properly paid for professional gigs.

Advertisement