Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading from Nikon D50

• 03-11-2010 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    I've a Nikon D50 that's getting a bit old, high shutter count and tbh could do with something better. Prefer to stay with Nikon as I have a couple of good lenses, wide angle and prime 50mm, but will be looking for a good general purpose lens also, maybe the 18-200 Nikon VR2. The old kit lens is fecked (18-55) and I've a cheap 70-300 too.
    Budget is probably about 2K for body and lens, and as its actually work that I use it for mostly, and they are paying for it, really need to buy from an Irish retailer, either bricks and mortar or online.
    Any suggestions for what to get and where to buy from? (Yes I'm checking out reviews etc myself, but value the opinions from Nikon users on this forum too)
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Zzippy wrote: »
    Hi
    I've a Nikon D50 that's getting a bit old, high shutter count and tbh could do with something better. Prefer to stay with Nikon as I have a couple of good lenses, wide angle and prime 50mm, but will be looking for a good general purpose lens also, maybe the 18-200 Nikon VR2. The old kit lens is fecked (18-55) and I've a cheap 70-300 too.
    Budget is probably about 2K for body and lens, and as its actually work that I use it for mostly, and they are paying for it, really need to buy from an Irish retailer, either bricks and mortar or online.
    Any suggestions for what to get and where to buy from? (Yes I'm checking out reviews etc myself, but value the opinions from Nikon users on this forum too)
    Cheers!

That's a healthy budget, so I'd look at a D300s, which will set you back about 1500 in Gunns, and then decide on a lens from there (possibly a sigma 18-50 f2.8 or a 50-150 f2.8)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10091515nikond7000.asp

Looks like an upgrade from the D90 or even the more expensive D300

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

isn't the D300s due to be replaced soon? if so, much better to wait and get a discounted one when the successor comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I wouldn't overlook the D7000 either, pretty nifty camera. Apart from having a lighter body it's as good as a D300s I'd say. If you've enough over maybe something like a tamron 17-50 f/2.8 to replace the kit lens, and the 70-300mm vr [VR I versions can be found used on adverts.ie, there's very little difference between it and the newer VR II ... bar the price tag]

isn't the D300s due to be replaced soon? if so, much better to wait and get a discounted one when the successor comes out.

I don't think the 300s will be replaced soon, it's more likely to be a successor to the D700 or the D3 first

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I wouldn't overlook the D7000 either, pretty nifty camera. Apart from having a lighter body it's as good as a D300s I'd say.

i disagree, a few extra mp, irrelevent tbh. shoddier body to d300s, sd over cf, af system is better on d300, faster frame rate on d300, if you want video, go for d7000,anything else a d300 will stand to you better

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

i disagree, a few extra mp, irrelevent tbh. shoddier body to d300s, sd over cf, af system is better on d300, faster frame rate on d300, if you want video, go for d7000,anything else a d300 will stand to you better

So you tested a D7000 and didn't like it?

Cosmo K wrote: »
    So you tested a D7000 and didn't like it?

It's a different intended market -the D7000 sits between the D90 and the D300s, but is in their consumer range. The D300s is the base model in their Pro range, with a bigger, Magnesium Alloy body, better weather sealing, CF memory etc etc.

You don't have to test to figure that out!

It's a different intended market -the D7000 sits between the D90 and the D300s, but is in their consumer range. The D300s is the base model in their Pro range, with a bigger, Magnesium Alloy body, better weather sealing, CF memory etc etc.

You don't have to test to figure that out!

I can see where you coming from, but the D7000 has a magnesium body and is weather sealed. Yes, it lacks the pro controls the D300s has, but from what I have read so far, the D7000 seems to be a pretty good camera. Impressive high ISO performance, dual card slot, decent video, etc.....

Body only is around 1170 € on amazon, which leaves the Op with roughly 800€ for a decent lens. I would probably buy the 16-85 and the 70-300 VR, perfect combo.

I can see where you coming from, but the D7000 has a magnesium body and is weather sealed. Yes, it lacks the pro controls the D300s has, but from what I have read so far, the D7000 seems to be a pretty good camera. Impressive high ISO performance, dual card slot, decent video, etc.....

Body only is around 1170 € on amazon, which leaves the Op with roughly 800€ for a decent lens. I would probably buy the 16-85 and the 70-300 VR, perfect combo.

I stand corrected, I didn't realize it had the magnesium body too.

For me, the pro controls (basically more manual buttons) and the CF memory make more of a difference than any improvements in ISO (which really will only bring it in line, or slightly ahead of the D300s).

At the end of the day though, it's personal choice, and if you're stressing over which one from the 7000 or the 300s, you're in a good place :)

In terms of lenses I'd get a couple Sigmas -the 18-50 and 50-150 f2.8s cos then you're covered with great range and aperture

• Advertisement

(which really will only bring it in line, or slightly ahead of the D300s).

In terms of lenses I'd get a couple Sigmas -the 18-50 and 50-150 f2.8s cos then you're covered with great range and aperture

Apparently its more then just slightly ahead of the D300s, when it comes to high Iso's. I have a D90, which uses the same sensor the D300s has, and I would only use it up to 1600 ISO. Test shots from the D7000 looked pretty good up to 6400 ISO, which is pretty impressive.

The Sigma 50-150 is a nice lens, wouldn't mind one myself......but I'm trying to save a bit of money at the moment.......the D700 is due a replacemt next year:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Thanks for the opinions everyone. Looks like the D7000 gets the nod here, if the boss can get it approved upstairs!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i would urge to try find a second hand nikon 28-70mm 2.8 if you want to invest in a lens, will last you longer than any camera body and optics are top range, comparable to primes in that range.

personally i'm not keen on a d7000, if i'm spending big money i'd rather go for their better range, its getting good reviews alright, but really its alot of money for a consumer body

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I just changed from a D3000 to a D300s, big jump but what made up my mind was looking at the adds on Adverts.ie etc. I saw lots of people selling D3000's, D80's, D90's and looking to trade up to a D300 or a D700. At the end of the day the D7000 is a Prosumer range camera and as such will be updated in a short while just like the D90, which will devalue the outgoing model in the 2nd hand market. The Pro range cameras will always have a place in a Pro's bag and so will retain their value a bit better.

Advertisement