Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China or Japan?

Options
  • 03-11-2010 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend and i are traveling next year and we really want to see part of Asia but aren't sure which part to do. We can't see all of it because of cost and everything so I was wondering if people had an idea of where would be better to go?
    I've heard china is a lot cheaper but is this true even in cities such as Shanghai, Beijing etc? Also heard Japan is actually a nicer, more friendly place so we're struggling to make a decision. We'd like to go for about 2 months and if Japan is uber expensive then its not really possible so would china be the better option? Also is transport between cities and accommodation cheaper in China? These are the kinds of things that'll prob sway the decision. Anyone also know how much money you'd need to go to one of these places for 2 months, staying in hostels and such, nothing too lavish but not too shabby either.
    Really any opinions (other than smart ones) and thoughts are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

China is cheaper than Japan, but be aware: some folks in Asia likes to charge a premium price to foreigners, especially the taxi drivers in China. My advice is to avoid taking a taxi at an airport or railway station, taking the couch instead.
    Accommodations and transport are cheap in China, even in Beijing, but make sure you avoid travelling during the Chinese New Year period, it's almost impossible to get a train ticket at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I'd suggest Japan, but I'm biased because I love the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

If you are so worried about costs then perhaps South East Asia might be the way to go.

I would highly recommend Japan. One of the best countries I have ever been to. I only had 17 days there but managed in that time to see Tokyo, Osaka, Beppu, Hiroshima, Kyota, Nara and Koyasan. My flights were 820 euro return (my mate somehow got his for 700). I didnt find Japan too expensive. Hostels averaged 15-16 euro per night. In a standard bar/club in Tokyo I got a double vodka and lime for something like 3.50 euro. It certainly isnt as expensive as people make it out to be. Make sure to get a Japan Rail Pass though, otherwise you will spend a FORTUNE on trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I love Japan but couldn't afford to spend two months there. There's a long thread on here with all sorts of tips and advice. China's great too and has great diversity. It's a lot cheaper than Japan (and cheap relative to most places), especially in rural areas.

If I had two months I'd spend 2 weeks in Japan and the rest in China. If money was no object I'd spend a month in each.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

thanks for all the responses. It isn't so much that we're worried about money its just that we dont wanna be in Japan a month and realise we've nothing left and have to go home. We'd rather be 2 months there. Perhaps spending a week in Japan might work. All depends how cheap we can get flights to china from Japan. Also if anyone has advice on the best places to go that would be cool. Considering Hong Kong as part of the trip but dont know anyone who's been there so any info would be welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Hong Kong is absolutely fantastic.

Was there during the summer with the girlfriend at the end of our RTW trip. Its SUPER cheap, like unbelievably cheap, there are so many markets to shop and bargain in, its great fun!

Theres just so much to do there. It was 32 degrees when we were there in august, so so hot and the beaches are amazing.

Theres plenty of sites to see and things to do (disneyland included) and its a city that only seems to wake up late at night. For instance we arrived around 11/12 at night and the main street was packed.

Transport is by metro and its unlike anything we have over here, fast, regular, simple, cheap, super clean. Its brilliant!

Always felt safe too once your not stupid.

The only bad points were that i found SOME people to be very rude, but really that was no big deal and also you need to be careful where you stay. If your booking a cheap place be very careful its not in a complex called the chun king mansions. Google it and youll understand. Its not that its unsafe, its just that the complex is a sh1thole.

Other than that id have no complaints, and I would go back in a heartbeat.

Any specific questions and just ask away!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

thanks for that. doing a little research on hong kong at the moment so ill let you know if i have any questions. One thing i was wondering is where is a good place to stay there, what part of the place and also if you know of any good hotels or hostels that's be handy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

would you consider korea?

much cheaper than japan and a really stunning country with really lovely people

If you want to visit japan for a week then it's only a short and cheap flight away!
    The subway in japan is 8 times more expensive than the subway in seoul!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    thanks for that. doing a little research on hong kong at the moment so ill let you know if i have any questions. One thing i was wondering is where is a good place to stay there, what part of the place and also if you know of any good hotels or hostels that's be handy

hong-kong-map-small.gif

Well the main tourist road is called Nathan road and we booked a place on that road, however just before we got there we realised we had booked the chung king mansions (although the address just said Nathan road the cheeky buggers!) so as it was last minute we ended up paying a bit more for a place, although it was amazing.

We stayed here: http://www.hoteltravel.com/hongkong/kowloon/royal_pacific_kowloon.htm
    great place, great location but a little pricey but with proper planning youll get a better bargain somewhere!

You should probably try stay in Tsim Sha Tsui. youll see it on the map there at the tip of kowloon just above hong kong island. Its the best location to stay at. you can get to HK island for like 2 euro and it takes about 5 mins to cross. Everywhere else on that map you can get to by metro and its very very very easy to get to!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,395 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've been to Japan and absolutely love the place: so much so I'm heading back this week :) But yes, it isn't a cheap place in the same way other more student friendly places would be. If you, like me, are obsessed with Japanese culture it is of course totally worth it, and it has the best food in the world. But if you're looking for a cheap place to spend a month, you could probably head elsewhere - it would be tricky to get a hostel for under 20 euro in most cities, for example. The price is the only negative for me though: in terms of food (oh, the food!), culture, fun, beauty etc... Japan is my favourite country I've visited by a distance. I'd love to check out China too, but going by a friend who has been to both, they're very different experiences indeed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement