Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B'n'b close to headford point, Galway

Options
  • 03-11-2010 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I just found out I have several conferences to attend in the courtyard by mariott hotel, glaway city. However its a little bit out of my price range. Can anyone recommend a b'n'b within walking distance? I'd appreciate any help you can give me on this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Results from Googlemaps points to Lios Inis B&B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Woodberry Cottage B&B on the Dyke Road, just up from Terryland soccer pitch.

B&B is approx a 10 minute walk away from the Marriot. Patricia Walsh is the ladys name.

Tripadvisor Reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

The Travelodge Hotel is just 700M (via Sandy Road). They are advertising rooms for 35Euro per night if booked more than 7 days in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Try the Menlo Park Hotel, they are just across the road from the Marriot.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you actually need to stay close to the hotel?

How about staying in the city, enjoying the fine social and cultural amenities that Galway has to offer, and using our fine public transport service to get to the venue.

The Marriot is number 7 on the Terryland neighbourhood map, which also includes instructions on getting there from the city centre.

Oh, and I know some of the on-line maps etc use the phrase "Headford Point", but I don't think it's entirely accurate. I've always understood that a Point is on the coast, and this area is pretty much inland.

(Yeah, I know ... virtually on a bog, that doesn't make it coastal though!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

As an aside Mary, cos I know its something that would interest you, that area (Marriott, petrol station) is officially known as Headford Point since the O'Sullivan, Hansbury, Kenny garage was redeveloped. Stupid name alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Travelodge is nearby, but pretty dingy from my experience. Do you have a car with you? If you do you can get a nice b&b in college road. To drive to the Marriott you can get there in 3 minutes at off peak time. Maybe 10 at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

The Gables is just across the road from Marriot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 squiggs

Thanks I might just try the bus- one thing though, is the public transport in galway reliable? Is there anything else I should know about it to avoid making an ass of myself? As you can tell I haven't been to galway before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

biko wrote: »
    Results from Googlemaps points to Lios Inis B&B.

+1 on this place. Joan is the owner and is a great laugh. Its a very short distance away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

squiggs wrote: »
    Thanks I might just try the bus- one thing though, is the public transport in galway reliable? Is there anything else I should know about it to avoid making an ass of myself? As you can tell I haven't been to galway before.

On that route, at the sorts of times you'd be heading to a conference, it's reliable enough. Not perfect, but good enough (based on my experiences of catching a bus to things at the Menlo hotel from time to time).

I wouldn't try to time things too tightly (allow 10 minutes extra just in case, and always get to the bus-stop 5 minutes early), but worst case if a bus didn't turn up you'd jump in a cab and it's only a very short trip.

Bus fare is E1.60, some have signs saying "exact fare only", but they do give change.

And IMHO it'd be a real shame to be in Galway and stuck out in the suburbs (unless you're so focussed on work thats all you do while here).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuctifino

http://tinyurl.com/369tezu

This is a B&B. Its probably one of the closest buildings to the Marriott, closer than the Menlo. Literally couldnt be closer unless you were in the Marriott

Advertisement