Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

moving sky in sitting room

• 03-11-2010 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hello, i hope someone out there can help me. I want to re-arrange my sitting room and move my tv and sky from one end of the room to the other. I really dont want to be drilling holes and using wires. Can i purchase a wireless indoor aeriel from argos and use that??
    Any help on this would be great as I really dont know the best way around this.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I presume you mean you want to move the Sky box from one end of the room to the other?
    If so, you will need to extend the cable (or cables) from your satellite dish to the Sky box, to its new location.
    Alternatively you could leave the Sky box in its current location and use a video/audio sender (if that's what you mean by a "wireless indoor aerial") to transmit the output from the Sky box to a receiver near the TV. You will lose a lot in video quality and sound and it seems like a lot of bother for just a move in one room (unless it's absolutely massive!). It would be better to run the satellite cable(s) under the floor (if possible) or around the periphery of the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭DeiseGal

I was thinking of just trying a video/audio sender as the sitting room is just your normal size but just the layout would be better if the tv area was moved.
    Can you recommend one that i could purchase from argos or the likes and at least i can return if it doesnt suit.
    Thanks for your response :)

You do understand that you will have to leave the Sky box where it is at the moment if you don't want to extend the cables? It's just the TV that you will be able to move. If you are currently using a good quality SCART cable between the Sky box and the TV and it is set up correctly, you will find that the AV sender is not as good. Plus you will have to ensure that the particular AV sender will be able to handle the SKY remote using a little infra-red receiver.

I wouldn't recommend any particular AV sender as I've never had any luck with them in my house as we have a wireless router and several laptops using wireless. Even the microwave oven used to cause interference on the AV sender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Move the cables. Cheaper and less hassle in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭satchman

DeiseGal wrote: »
    I was thinking of just trying a video/audio sender as the sitting room is just your normal size but just the layout would be better if the tv area was moved.
    Can you recommend one that i could purchase from argos or the likes and at least i can return if it doesnt suit.
    Thanks for your response :)

I fyou really want to go down this route i'd recommend this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Qose-5-8Ghz-Wireless-Video-Sender/dp/B003CYYR4Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1288957940&sr=8-1

I bought one a few months ago as I wanted to watch Sky in my bedroom and this sends the signal through two solid walls no problem. Plus it's the best one i've used as it is not interfered with by your wirless router, microwave, cordless phone etc. However, you do lose some picture/sound quality so if I were you i'd definitely try running some extra cable and move the box if that's possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭icrusader

why not get a quad lnb and an extra cable and have sky tv on both sides of the room and upstairs?

satchman - I don't think those 5GHz devices are licensed for use in Ireland, which is why you don't see them sold in the usual retail outlets, but I may be wrong on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭cartman51773

your best bet is to re run the cables. if you need a video sender only get the 5.1ghz ones as they are on higher frequencies than most devices and your picture will be excellent. i got mine from ebay around the 50 mark if you look out for them. use it on the tv upstairs and the picture is excellent.

fat-tony wrote: »
    satchman - I don't think those 5GHz devices are licensed for use in Ireland, which is why you don't see them sold in the usual retail outlets, but I may be wrong on that.

You could be right mate, I honestly don't know, but Argos seem to sell similar products:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9239872/Trail/searchtext%3EAV+SENDER.htm

just make sure not to get the 2.4ghz ones they are crap. wifi and baby monitors play havoc with them.

• Advertisement

Must have been changed then. Impressive looking set of boxes, though - shiny, blue lights and all:D

just make sure not to get the 2.4ghz ones they are crap. wifi and baby monitors play havoc with them.

Totally agree... and what I found most annoying was that if anyone walks around the room/house when these are on the picture goes mental!!

fat-tony wrote: »
    Must have been changed then. Impressive looking set of boxes, though - shiny, blue lights and all:D

Impressive looking price tag as well :)

just make sure you get the 5ghz ones they are great. no interference at all and picture and sound is sharp. worth the extra money.

Yeh - probably cheaper to get an electrician in to move the cables;)

lads checked ebay and there are several 5.8ghz ones on there for the 55 euro mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I use these ones from Aldi http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_14947.htm No problems and sitting inches away from wireless router which has never caused interference.

Advertisement