Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BDP2500 Bluray Problem

Options
  • 03-11-2010 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

i bought the "Alien Anthology" bluray when it came out. The Aliens bluray disk and the Alien Ressurection appears zoomed on the screen you can only see the corner of the movies.

I have the latest firmware update. I tried the movie on another player (a sony PS3) and a mates Samsung model and it worked no problem.

I contacted Philips Live Chat and went through the usual Q&A and after about 5 emails back and forth over a week they admitted it was a Player issue and that the software team would have a look at it, they made clear that there are no planned firmware updates.

I have since noticed that if I press Stop and then wait 30 seconds for Resume Movie to appear, it then works fine.

My Player is the "Philips BDP2500", does any of the readers here have this model and Alien Anthology and are experiencing same/similar problem ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

johndoe99 wrote: »
    I contacted Philips Live Chat and went through the usual Q&A and after about 5 emails back and forth over a week they admitted it was a Player issue and that the software team would have a look at it, they made clear that there are no planned firmware updates.

If it's the player that is at fault, then ask Philips to replace it with a model that does work. You would be entitled to this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Philips used to be a good name back about ten years ago, nowadays most of their stuff is less than reliable to put it mildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

jor el wrote: »
    If it's the player that is at fault, then ask Philips to replace it with a model that does work. You would be entitled to this.

I enquired about that, but they said they cannot make such a decision until the software team sign off on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Where and when did you buy the player? That is where you have a contract and with whom you should be dealing.

Where did you buy it, and when? You could also bring it back to the retailer, and show Philips' own emails as the proof that it cannot be repaired. The retailer should replace this, and then send it back to Philips themselves.

edit: Ooh, snap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Please note: they may exchange it with another one of the same model. The emails wil show that all model may have the same problem. See can you get it exchanged for a different model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Is this happening on your player on normal playback with no additional extras running?

The reason I ask is that Bluray is a bit of a moving format. Not all players support all features and you might see some odd behaviour if there is a feature enabled that isn't fully supported orimplemented incorrectly.

dudara wrote: »
    Where and when did you buy the player? That is where you have a contract and with whom you should be dealing.
    Harvey Norman, December 2009
    the_syco wrote: »
    Please note: they may exchange it with another one of the same model. The emails wil show that all model may have the same problem. See can you get it exchanged for a different model.
    theres no defect with the player, the problem is that they have not released any Firmware to correct the software problem. I have looked at the warranty and it does not cover Firmwae issues , only damage to the player itself.
    Is this happening on your player on normal playback with no additional extras running?
    The reason I ask is that Bluray is a bit of a moving format. Not all players support all features and you might see some odd behaviour if there is a feature enabled that isn't fully supported orimplemented incorrectly.
    Its normal playback, there is a new feature called "MU-TH-UR" (an alien name thingy) present on all the disks, but seen as Alien and Alien 3 are working, i cant see that being the issue and i have not enabled it.

I have noticed that before Aliens & Alien Ressurection start (the problem movies) there is an introduction by the directors. Wether that is somehow intefering with it.

I'm hoping others reading this that have the same model and problem will contact philips also, otherwise one persons email will probably fall on deaf ears.

theres no defect with the player, the problem is that they have not released any Firmware to correct the software problem. I have looked at the warranty and it does not cover Firmwae issues , only damage to the player itself.

Forget the warranty. You bought a Bluray player, and it doesn't play Blurays properly, therefore it is not fit for the purpose you bought it for. They can exclude whatever they want from their warranty, but it doesn't supersede your statutory rights.

If you like, wait for Philips to get back to you, but I'd be getting in touch with the Harvey Norman store where you bought it. Fish out your receipt!

i have just used Harvey Norman's contact form online and told them the story, will wait a few days for a reply, and if i get no reply i'll give them a ring, and I still have the receipt dated 22/12/2009.

• Advertisement

i have just used Harvey Norman's contact form online and told them the story, will wait a few days for a reply, and if i get no reply i'll give them a ring, and I still have the receipt dated 22/12/2009.
    Don't wait: ring them. No offence, but shops get a lot of chancers near chrimbo that want "like new" equipment for their old "broken" equipment.

Also, have documentation from the Philips, or HN can just say that your bluray disc is defective, if they play another bluray which works for them...

Doing a Google of Alien Anthology and the BDP2500, and I'm getting a few pages saying that the discs are not working on multiple players.

http://www.amazon.com/Alien-Anthology-Blu-ray-Sigourney-Weaver/product-reviews/B001AQO3QA?pageNumber=3
    The problem that I have is the compatibility of the BD's with both (!) my players. I own an Oppo BDP83 and a Philips BDP2500 BD player, both of them have huge problems viewing the discs.

Did a Google of "alien anthology" blu-ray problems playing and got:
    http://forum.bigpicturebigsound.com/blu-ray-disc/3521-alien-anthology-blu-ray-compatibility-playback-problems-some-players.html
    Afraid my Sony BDPs300 will not load the discs at all.

Looks like it may be the Alien Anthology as opposed to the player, as it seems to be happening to a fair few players. Of course, get your money back, or whatever, but just saying that there's still a good chance that you'll have the same problem with the next player.

Advertisement