Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extractor fan wired to ceiling light

Options
  • 03-11-2010 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I was looking to fit an extractor fan in my bathroom through the ceiling and take the wiring from the existing ceiling light. Does anyone know if it is easy to get a SL (switched live) from the ceiling light so I can use a timer extractor or am I stuck with a standard extractor coming on/off with the light? I don't mind the standard extractor if getting a SL to the ceiling space is a pain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

A switched live is the on/off for the light. I think you mean unswitched/permanent live??

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Airliner

yes, of course I do - rightly admonished!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

There may be a perm live at the light depending what way it is wired, could be just a brown brown run down to the switch, You will have to take down the fitting to check or remove the switch and see if it is looped from there.

If you dont feel confident doing this ring a sparks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i'll try that again-typo:)

you'll need to take a supply from the light to an isolator and then back to the fan

or even from the switch to isolator and fan-if it's T+E looped to switches

for a standard fan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

or if you are able to fit an inline extractor fan in attic space you can take power off light to isolator beside fan(in attic)and onto fan
    by fitting an inline fan there is no way of coming into contact with 230v from bathroom
    http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Ventilation_Index/4_Inch_Fans_Duct/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Airliner

Thanks all. Confident enough to bring down the fitting to check for switched live/permanent or whatever else is there. Was looking at a loft install kit as mentioned as well.

What is the isolator for? Do you mean a fan kit with a step down transformer to make it 24V or Have I got the wrong end of the stick here?

Whichever way will get a sparks to do, just want to be informed as to what I actually need fitting so I can tell the sparks over the phone. I can do the mechanical fitting and then happy to leave the job to someone qualified to hook it up safely.

Unfortunately I have this horrible feeling the builder built the cold water tank over the light fitting in the attic! Aaaahh.

no the isolator is to prevent power from reaching the fan
    1 in an emergency
    2 when working on it

even if there is a tank above, it will be possible to fish a wire across to the fan

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

i prefere the inline type. there not as noisy and seen to have a better vacum/suction then the surface ones. also if fitting directly over a shower they might be a bit safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

meercat wrote: »
    or if you are able to fit an inline extractor fan in attic space you can take power off light to isolator beside fan(in attic)and onto fan
    by fitting an inline fan there is no way of coming into contact with 230v from bathroom
    http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Ventilation_Index/4_Inch_Fans_Duct/index.html

I am looking at the ceiling extractors on this site also...I have a serious condensation problem in an en-suite I need to solve. I want to get the most powerful fan I can.
    My question is can I install this http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SLTDK250T.html, or will something this powerful draw too much power. It seems to have a much higher performance than the standard ones they offer.
    I have a wall extractor fan without timer, but it cannot cope with the steam from the shower. I am hoping I will be able to connect this fan to the existing lighting/fan circuit. I am not sure how anything is wired up; I will install, but get a spark to connect it up.

Thanks.

it's only 24watts

the rules say's small appliances up to 300watt on lighting circuits

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

johnb25 wrote: »
    I am looking at the ceiling extractors on this site also...I have a serious condensation problem in an en-suite I need to solve. I want to get the most powerful fan I can.
    My question is can I install this http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SLTDK250T.html, or will something this powerful draw too much power. It seems to have a much higher performance than the standard ones they offer.
    I have a wall extractor fan without timer, but it cannot cope with the steam from the shower. I am hoping I will be able to connect this fan to the existing lighting/fan circuit. I am not sure how anything is wired up; I will install, but get a spark to connect it up.

Thanks.

60-70 euro for that extractor kit in TJ O'Mahony DIY or Grange Builders Providers.

paddy147 wrote: »
    60-70 euro for that extractor kit in TJ O'Mahony DIY or Grange Builders Providers.

thanks for that....

M cebee wrote: »
    it's only 24watts

the rules say's small appliances up to 300watt on lighting circuits

thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Hi lads,

I'm looking into putting an extractor fan like this http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Ventilation_Index/4_Inch_Fans_Duct/index.html as I do not want the hassle of breaking through the external wall for a straight through extractor fan.

A few questions though. Should I connect the extractor to a) it's own switch b) the same switch as the bathroom light c) the pull cord switch for the shower?

Also, I know this a bit OT for electrical forum, but how do you go about fitting the opposite end of the ducting to the roof for the condensation to escape, while still keeping the roof water tight? Thanks for the help.

K

the link you provided shows the fan ducted out the timber facia which prevents rain getting in
    you can connect the fan to the bathroom light and put an isolation switch in the attic beside the fan
    the fan and electrical controls should not be accessible from the bathroom

-a fan shall have an isolating switch in it's vicinity which switches all phase/line conductors

-if a fan and light are switched together the isolating switch shall be downstream

-if the the fan has delay off ,the isolating switch shall switch all live conductors

-those are the rules for fans basically from the wiring rules

-the fan itself is outside the 'bathroom' and zones

yep it can come on with bathroom light and 'isolator' in attic -this will comply

or -on with light through another switch and an isolator in attic

there's a few ways i'm sure

Advertisement