Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dalkey Pubs

Options
  • 03-11-2010 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Just moved to Dalkey and wondered what anyone thought of the pubs - whats your favourite? the best, the worst- the one to avoid?

Comments

Lived in Dalkey for a year - not anymore though. During that time I regularly drank in Queens and The Ivory. The Ivory was our favourite by far. Usually very quiet, though we rarely went in at weekends. The staff were lovely. The open fire was a nice addition during the winter, the traditional music (think it was Tuesday nights?) was great.

Queens was awesome during the summer because the beer garden out back got the sun all afternoon and evening, and it's very pretty. Wasn't our kind of crowd though, all seemed older (and possibly posher!) than us!

Trial and error I would suggest! No harm in giving them all a try! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

+1 on the Queens during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

Finnegan's/Sorrento lounge is probably the best for chat, no music, good traditional pub!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Queens: nice pub, nice food, ****e service
    Ivory: dunno, never bothered
    The Club: great pub, bit quiet, good staff, good food
    Finnegans: Lovely, lively, good staff, got a fair few dodgy pints though
    Kings: dunno, never bothered

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

queens and finnegans are the best. Guess i'm too posh for the ivory :) for sunday lunch hang over the queens can't be beaten. The dungeon in killiney castle is a bit of crack at the weekend. They've often a fellow on the piano and a sing song. The club in dalkey is alright. Only been too the kings to avoid the misses. And her friends :) for non hang over food benitos and ragazzis are my favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭h8scobes

eh i go to the club for food sometimes, and my parents always go to finnegans. im not from dalkey(killiney) but you picked a great place to live :) perhaps 1 of the best areas in ireland to live..the quality of life is unrivaled

h8scobes wrote: »
    but you picked a great place to live :) perhaps 1 of the best areas in ireland to live..the quality of life is unrivaled

meh, I wouldn't go that far.

full of pretentious rich people, narrow dangerous roads, very noisy at the weekends with the pubs, no decent supermarket. The little coffee shop on the roundabout is superb though :)

Lived there for a year, wouldn't again, the house was terrible too, floor fell in in the end. Termon estate to be avoided if anyone is thinking of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yep Mugs do a savage hot Choclate. Seelct stores do great smoothies an dother food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Check out the Indian Style fish and chips in Jaipur as well. Brilliant.

Personally, I prefer Finnegans, or the Charles Fitzgerald in Sandycove.

meh, I wouldn't go that far.

full of pretentious rich people, narrow dangerous roads, very noisy at the weekends with the pubs, no decent supermarket. The little coffee shop on the roundabout is superb though :)

Lived there for a year, wouldn't again, the house was terrible too, floor fell in in the end. Termon estate to be avoided if anyone is thinking of it.
    I lived off Castlepark Road, very near Barnhill Centra, so it was very quiet and I loved it. Expensive though and I found the estate to be very manicured and pretentious (or giant ragweed wasn't much approved of in the flowerbed). Trains right right behind the house, I miss them. Loved the village, since I only really went down there for the pubs, but a decent supermarket was very sorely missed. Used to walk to Dun Laoghaire with a backpack. Living right beside a Dunnes now I appreciate how awkward Dalkey was in that respect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭h8scobes

There is a supervalue it has everything you need. Obvers if you want a big shop you just go to Cornellscourt or something.

LOL Cornelscourt, when there are 3 Tescos, a dunnes, Lidl and M&S closer than that...

Where is Supervalu in Dalkey?

Obviously supermarkets aren't a problem if you drive... if you don't, then Dalkey was very limited.

Where is Supervalu in Dalkey?

Obviously supermarkets aren't a problem if you drive... if you don't, then Dalkey was very limited.

Its Euro Spar these days, on the main street

Bus or DART to DL gives you access to multiple supermarkets

Its Euro Spar these days, on the main street

Bus or DART to DL gives you access to multiple supermarkets
    Thanks, that's what I assumed, since I never recalled seeing a Supervalu! Used to walk into Dun Laoghaire regularly.... Just found Dalkey to be expensive for the little things, like running ou of milk and bread at 8 at night, know what I mean!

Live right beside a Dunnes now, don't miss Centra and EuroSpar much!

Advertisement