Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I got a headbutt on Patrick's street last night!

Options
  • 03-11-2010 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭

I went for a few pints after college last night. I'll cut a long story short, I was minding my own business having a smoke in the city centre before getting a cab to go home, two drunken losers come up to me asking for tobacco, I flat out refused to give them anything, they crowd around me, all up in my face and shit, head touching head, I stood my ground and told them I wasn't giving them shit, and one throws me a headbutt square on the nose!

I said "Are you fuckin serious??, are you FUCKIN serious?" "YOU are demanding tobacco from ME, and because I ain't giving you any, you throw me a fuckin HEADBUTT!?"
    I told them to go fuck themselves, cops arrive, I push yer man outta my grill, I stroll away giving them the finger and shouting all colours of abuse, give my statement to one of the cops, decided not to press charges and hopped in a cab!

What the fuck?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Maybe it was the way you refused them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I went for a few pints after college last night. I'll cut a long story short, I was minding my own business having a smoke in the city centre before getting a cab to go home, two drunken losers come up to me asking for tobacco, I flat out refused to give them anything, they crowd around me, all up in my face and shit, head touching head, I stood my ground and told them I wasn't giving them shit, and one throws me a headbutt square on the nose!

I said "Are you fuckin serious??, are you FUCKIN serious?" "YOU are demanding tobacco from ME, and because I ain't giving you any, you throw me a fuckin HEADBUTT!?"
    I told them to go fuck themselves, cops arrive, I push yer man outta my grill, I stroll away giving them the finger and shouting all colours of abuse, give my statement to one of the cops, decided not to press charges and hopped in a cab!

What the fuck?

May that be a lesson to you, Smoking kills.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Some drunken idiot asked me for a freebie cigarette last night ....and when I tolf him to get his scabby paws away from me .....the smell of poor off him.... he headbutted me !!
    What the fuck?

FYP

Seriously - why go head to head with him - only scum get into those kid of positions ... walk away everytime !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

What I read is that the fella went head to head with OP while the 2 were around him ie not able to walk away.

That said, in those situations I would always give in early for fear of a hiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

tbh OP you could have defused that situation alot better. Seems to me like you were itching for them to start on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Ellian

I'd always give someone a smoke if they asked as long as they're not underage. That said I have always been asked in the manner of "could I bum a smoke of you?" Not sure how I would react if it was "give us a smoke or I'll mill ya.."

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

Fair play OP, Id prob just have given em a smoke to avoid confrontation but it f**kin drives me mad that these c**ts think they have some sort of entitlement to bum smokes or money and then have the cheek to be offended for refusing them!!!

A mate of mine mate refused to give some alco/addict money for a "taxi" and she spat at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

What the fuck?

Sorry, but this is hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

... decided not to press charges...
    And that right there is why this crap keeps happening. If you dont press charges the cops cant do a bloody thing and these people keep getting away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So you decide not to press charges but come on here moaning about it. And when it happens again, you'll wonder why the Gardai never do anything to prevent it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭silent sage

It all happened so fast, and yes one of them went head to head with me, I did very little to provoke them. Once I had refused the first time, there was no point in backing down the second time and going home feeling like a chump. My only option was to talk my way out of it, they were obviously looking for a fight more than a smoke. I impulsively bagan to outright question their actions and more importantly, themselves! The headbutter seemed quite confused by my response, and the other guy had a wry smile on his face. Once the cops arrived it was ample opportunity to push back and call them all sorts of names. If I had fought back initially, I'd be in hospital right now.

I'm so sick of strangers asking for cigarettes or rollies in public. It's happened so many times in Cork and Dublin. The last time I obliged a guy, he began to tell me his life story and how he thought he may have taken his arm cast off too early?? I don't fucking care, I don't know you, I'll never meet you again, take my free tobacco and keep your stories to yourself. Prick.

JohnK wrote: »
    And that right there is why this crap keeps happening. If you dont press charges the cops cant do a bloody thing and these people keep getting away with it.

I went out for a few quiet pints, not to get involved in a court case. I'm not wasting my time on such a trivial thing. They should have accepted that I had nothing to spare and move on with their lives. No, instead I get a headbutt.

Hogzy wrote: »
    tbh OP you could have defused that situation alot better. Seems to me like you were itching for them to start on you.

How was I itching to start with them?

So you decide not to press charges but come on here moaning about it. And when it happens again, you'll wonder why the Gardai never do anything to prevent it.

I'm simply letting whoever interested know that you're libel to get a headbutt upon refusing to give your stuff to strangers for free on Patrick's street.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SandStone

Hogzy wrote: »
    tbh OP you could have defused that situation a lot better.

Why should he have to?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Happened to me before - Patricks street aswell.
    Told them it was my last one - took a pull and offered him the rest of it - fúckin chav bástard took it! Kept walking and sparked up a few mins later.
    I simply hate that shít!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

I went out for a few quiet pints, not to get involved in a court case. I'm not wasting my time on such a trivial thing. They should have accepted that I had nothing to spare and move on with their lives. No, instead I get a headbutt.

Are you from a posh part of the southside, do your parents drive a merc ?? It sounds like this is the worse case of bullying you have ever suffered, get a grip. You need to learn how to handle theses people in a non violent way.

I agree that you were harrassed needlessly but sorry that is life if your hanging around city centres surrounded by pubs and drunks. If i m in town im always on the lookout, that way trouble is at a minimum (never 100% safe)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

johnnyjb wrote: »
    Are you from a posh part of the southside, do your parents drive a merc ?? It sounds like this is the worse case of bullying you have ever suffered, get a grip. You need to learn how to handle theses people in a non violent way.

I agree that you were harrassed needlessly but sorry that is life if your hanging around city centres surrounded by pubs and drunks. If i m in town im always on the lookout, that way trouble is at a minimum (never 100% safe)

Thats a bit harsh...It shoud'nt matter where you are from you shoudlnt have to worry about this happening to you when you go out..Think you dam right to stick up for yourself Fair deuce I would have done it although I do not know how i would manage a headbut :D Should have pressed charges though to make sure they got their cumupence (still cant spell)

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭eurokev

Agree with being on the lookout but cork is after getting rough as anything. Its my main problem with going to town. Iv heard of this happening so often recently. They will start on you if you give them what they want anyway. Its giving somone a baiting theyre really looking for. Best way to avoid I think is to put on your best norrie accent, this way they might think youre a bit dodge. I f**king hate scumbags. Wish every one of them was dead. Solely out to inflict misery on decent people. Im angry even thinking bout it. Sorry for this happening to you too. You should have pressed charges tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

What does where he came from have anything to do with this? Why can't he stand around and have a smoke?

There was a friend of my punched in the back of the head one night while we were on our way home by some drunken git for no reason. There are just assholes out there that will turn on you for the smallest reason. The guy that headbutted you OP is just another one of these people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Why has it become all of a sudden so rough then. Well not all of a sudden but there seems to always be something now. And stupid things like this fights for no reasons. Even we went to town last week during the day for the first time in ages and it even looks fairly rough and no one is perticularly friendly anymore..

Are you from a posh part of the southside, do your parents drive a merc ??

No and no.
    It sounds like this is the worse case of bullying you have ever suffered, get a grip. You need to learn how to handle theses people in a non violent way.
    How does it sound like the worst case of bullying I've ever suffered? I tried to start this thread in a light hearted fashion. I was quite amused by the whole ordeal.

I think I was as non violent as was appropriate. Let me just clarify...

-"Have any spare smokes?"

-"No, sorry"

*intimidating approach head to head*

*WTF, this guy is definitely not getting anything off me*

*BAM* *Headbutt*

*I act in a non violent yet obviously pissed off fashion*

*Cops*

*Couple of shoves later, I go on my way*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Why not press charges?

Also, annoying roll eyes smiley at people thinking that he deserved that at all in 3..2...1 :rolleyes:

Kold wrote: »
    Why not press charges?

Hmm, the guard was really sound and apparently knew the guy who headbutted me, when the question arose I just thought he has enough problems if he's known to the guards, going around bumming smokes, and getting his kicks from starting fights with random strangers. Plus, just tired, glad it wasn't worse and wanted to be on my way without any hassle.

She'll make a fine yarn though.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

eurokev wrote: »
    Agree with being on the lookout but cork is after getting rough as anything. Its my main problem with going to town. Iv heard of this happening so often recently. They will start on you if you give them what they want anyway. Its giving somone a baiting theyre really looking for. Best way to avoid I think is to put on your best norrie accent, this way they might think youre a bit dodge. I f**king hate scumbags. Wish every one of them was dead. Solely out to inflict misery on decent people. Im angry even thinking bout it. Sorry for this happening to you too. You should have pressed charges tho

I wont even start to argue bout that statement
    What does where he came from have anything to do with this? Why can't he stand around and have a smoke?

Life aint that simple anymore im afraid, the sooner people realise its not happy families in a urban town the sooner incidents like this decline. Im not trying to give OP hard time just trying to give a bit of my advice from experience. He was a victim and should help him deal with fools like this in future

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Hmm, the guard was really sound and apparently knew the guy who headbutted me, when the question arose I just thought he has enough problems if he's known to the guards, going around bumming smokes, and getting his kicks from starting fights with random strangers. Plus, just tired, glad it wasn't worse and wanted to be on my way without any hassle.

She'll make a fine yarn though.

Negative reinforcement tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 grumpy jo

You should have done one of two things, 1, realised you were about to get smacked & layed into these two scum bags before they hit you.
    2, & this is the most advisable, press charges against these scum bags,
    You went on your way hurting both physically & mentally & they went on their way to do the exact same thing to some other poor unfortunate. Press charges & @ leat they would be off the street for a few hours.

What the fuck?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭eurokev

I wont even start to argue bout that statement

Life aint that simple anymore im afraid, the sooner people realise its not happy families in a urban town the sooner incidents like this decline. Im not trying to give OP hard time just trying to give a bit of my advice from experience. He was a victim and should help him deal with fools like this in future

sorry johnnyjb
    I genuinely just mean a rough accent. You know what im talking. Just being a southsider there. I dont agree that people should have to toughen up tho. Things like this should not happen. I hate scumbags so much. I stopped a guy snatching a girls bag few months ago like. How much of this crap is going on. If i have kids I want them to be able to enjoy our beautiful city without fear. It genuinely has a lot to offer

Kold wrote: »
    Negative reinforcement tbh.

Well, as I say it all happened pretty fast. I didn't think too long about the consequences of not pressing charges. I'm not even sure how the guards arrived so quick. Maybe one of the taxi drivers phoned.

I'm only after moving down here from Galway over the past few weeks, it didn't seem like a favourable way to introduce myself to the city - with a feckin court case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Just a hint in case anyone gets a similar experience in future. If someone is about to throw a headbutt at you, just slightly tilt your head forward enough, so the top of your head is exactly where he will land it. Guaranteed to break his nose and maybe even his teeth as well. What you do after that is up to you.

I don't condone violence but it never hurts to know a trick or two for situations like this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement