Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bereavement counselling

• 03-11-2010 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30

Has anybody been to counselling after losing somebody close to suicide? My family want to go but I dont really see the point as I dont feel it will change anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I think that you have to be ready to take part in the process which is counselling and after a loss different people are ready at different times. This how ever doesn't stop well meaning friends and family pushing us to go.

Given that they are upset and may be worried about loosing you if you end up in a dark place due to the suicide, I would go for a session or to and chat with the cousellor about why they want you to go and how your doing, and if you don't need it or it's not time for you yet you can let them know and also put your loves ones worries to rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I have and I'm not the type who would ever have gone to counselling before. It's helped me a lot. Can't hurt to try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

In my case, it took almost 5 years and moving to the other side of world before I decided to try it. It took a friend who hadn't seen me in a couple of years to ask me to try it as she was shocked at the changes in me since she'd last seen me and i guess for me it was hearing some home truths and proving to me that i wasn't coping very well.

i couldn't say enough good things about it. I didn't see a typical psychologist....the lady i saw did everything from counselling to healing and reiki etc. It turns out alot of health and mental problems I had in the aftermath (Insomnia, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Anxiety and Panic attacks) were all related to the fact that I never properly dealt with it and had alot of guilt surrounding my cousin's death (that I never spotted the signs).
    My IBS especially has really improved since I learned not to keep everything bottled up. I never realised that I wasn't coping, but to some who knew me well it was obvious.

Give it a try, can't hurt.
    Love A x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Can anybody (by pm if ok) recommend me a bereavement counselor/therapy in Galway area?
    On behalf of a friend;)

Advertisement