Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost to Install BB and Headset

• 03-11-2010 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Guys going to be building up a road bike over the winter.But one job that is best left to the LBS is installing the headset and Bottom Bracket.I have been sourcing different components online to get the best deals.If i walk into my local bike shop with a frame/fork ,bottom bracket and headset that i bought online and ask them to fit them what will it cost me roughly?

Also anyone recommend a descent set of tools have been looking at X-Tools Tool Kit from http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40997 it seem to have most tools I need to build up the rest of the bike.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Get the frame supplier to fit a headset for you.

Bottom brackets are usually very easy - slop on the anti-seize and thread them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

Ya i had asked them to fit the headset and bottom bracket,but got a email this morning saying your items have been dispatched,rang them up to check they had them installed ,they hadent, mix up with emails :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As Lumen said, nothing to difficult, if you want to see it done you can look at

http://bicycletutor.com/

he has a good few videos and sometimes it is easier t+o see someone do it and then copy instead of reading about it.

Giving a guess, I'd say an LBS would do it for between 20 to 30euro including a small bit of maintenance thrown in, just a guess though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Much like turning up to a pub with a bottle of vodka, some coke, some ice cubes and asking the barman to mix you a vodka and coke with ice no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

Ya thats what i was thinking off as well,guessing they are going to be a bit pissed off i didnt buy local.But on a budget trying to get the best bike for my money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I was chatting to a bike mechanic the other day who said alot of their work nowadays is fitting parts people buy on the net and can't fit themselves. He seemed happy enough that they were getting the business. I think in the long run LBS's that accept this will do better than the like of certain bike shops in town who won't even repair your bike properly or for a fair price, if you didn't buy it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

fork broke at the weekend and never looked it and the headset before, but replaced and installed headset over the weekend. Kept on double checking everything i was doing, but god it was easy and id hate to have paid over any money for it. look up a few videos online and see if it is possible for you. go on live a little, try it yourself. never gone at my bb, id imagine it too to be simple. think you may need a special tool depending on the bb.

good luck

Advertisement