Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does one define a scumbag?

• 03-11-2010 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

So.. There are plenty of ways people can judge another to mark them in that category..

Tracksuits for one! I myself can get away with wearing one, coming or going to the gym, or when I'm just out generally.. Probably because I don't have the "Staaaaaaaaaary budh" accent or strut about me..

Spitting.. When I see someone spitting I get an instant dislike to them..

Drinking cans on the road... It's something I've often done if on a way to a house party or something but when I see someone doing it.. I can't shake the feeling that they're just going nowhere in life! :P

So, how would you stick someone in that category?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

According to how much tracksuit leg is tucked into them gleaming white socks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

YES!!!!!

A SCUMBAG THREAD!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Someone who believes themselves better than others and as such makes other peoples lives a misery. So I class someone who gets ****faced and hurls abuse at passersby the same as Bertie Ahern, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Trousers tucked into socks. I cringe every time I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

If they're 35 and already a grandparent I tend to consider it an indicator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

If they make a nasal sound when they speak, generally look unwashed or say "what the f*ck are ye lookin' at" even though you weren't looking at them. Usually Dunnes Stores tracksuit bottoms, Liverpool FC replica shirt and €200 runners is the main give away...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭baldbear

A full tracksuit with socks tucked into the bottom of there bottoms and with a cap on and white runners.
    Big chunky chains hanging outside there clothes.
    Women with very young kids with there ears pierced and who bring them to pubs and get drunk with there kids running around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

They rob stuff for the sake of robbing. They don't realise what they stole until they're down the road..............then they try and sell it back to you.

If there's no coke, snort crushed Panadol.

Ladette women pushing those quadruple prams down the street, Lidl bags hanging off the side, wearing their bright coloured pyjamas, hoop earrings and the voice like a slapped donkey spinning in a barrel full of rusty, watery poo. Their style ain't the problem but their rough as sandpaper violent attitude to everyone.

Walking around town with a serious face and starting on anyone who looks weaker than you. The also don't use their bare fists, pipes and knuckle dusters are their weapons of choice.

Carrying a blade - Definitely the most scumbaggery thing.

Getting a 14 year old pregnant, doing a legger and then getting a 15 year old pregnant.

More stealing

Hitting women

Stealing cars just to have a joyride and then burn them out.

Did I mention stealing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

A Scumbag is somebody who is a selfish **** and has no idea of how to live in a community.
    There is the classic tracksuited scumbag.

However there are plenty of "well to do" scumbags, Look at all the bankers, the gob****es who allowed other gob****es to borrow money they would never pay off. Councillors taking backhands, charlie haughey, IRA , Bertie, the current Government, The Opposition.

Actually this country is a toilet thats really needs a flush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

To me clothes doesn't make a scumbag, be it tracksuits, pyjamas, hoopy earrings etc, to me that doesn't equal being a scumbag at all. I think it may equal coming from a disadvantaged area but, to me anyway, being poor doesn't make you a scumbag.

To me a scumbag is:
    Someone who uses violence against people.
    Someone who abuses animals.
    Someone who steals.
    Someone who enjoys hurting or terrorising the elderly.

Those are my definitions of a scumbag.

I try not to judge people based on their clothes because I've had an inner city tracksuit wearing "scumbag" come to my rescue when I was being mugged, on another occasion I lost my purse and again it was a tracksuit wearer who gave me the money to get the bus home.

On the flip side all the suitwearing politicans in the Dail would be closer to my definition of scumbag than any other group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Possession of a degree in business/Experience in the finance industry

grrrr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Gerry Asstrix

Sykk wrote: »
    So.. There are plenty of ways people can judge another to mark them in that category..

Tracksuits for one! I myself can get away with wearing one, coming or going to the gym, or when I'm just out generally.. Probably because I don't have the "Staaaaaaaaaary budh" accent or strut about me..

Drinking cans on the road... It's something I've often done if on a way to a house party or something but when I see someone doing it.. I can't shake the feeling that they're just going nowhere in life! :P

Well I would stick you in that category
    Wearing tracksuits, not liking someone purely over something trivial because they spit, drinking cans of alcohol on the street, and because you live in Meath doesnt justiy it anymore then Dublin

Look in the mirror your a scumbag yourself.........bud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 carrigrock

if there a liverpool supporter and having the tracksuit tucked in to there socks i feel like punching them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i know people will disagree but yeah the style is usually a good pointer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's the bag that the citizen puts scum into so he can transport them to lock up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

People who don't know the difference between 'there' and 'their'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Well I would stick you in that category
    Wearing tracksuits, not liking someone purely over something trivial because they spit, drinking cans of alcolholon the street, and because you live in Meath doesnt make it any better

Look in the mirror your a scumbag yourself.........bud!
    I don't live in Meath, I'm from Meath and have been living on town for years now..

PS: Your argument is invalid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

A member of An garda siochana :p wehayy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Someone who is bad at math.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Scumbag found in their natural habitat

Although anyone on that show will do the job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Different definitions for different people.

I used to live in an area of Limerick where the Garda 'Emergency Response Unit' were considered scum (as maxxie mentioned).

According to my cousin in NY, if you're Liberal you're scum (and also ruining America).

I think people who steal and vandalise other peoples property are scum personally. All just opinions really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Des Carter

According to how much tracksuit leg is tucked into them gleaming white socks.
    jd007 wrote: »
    Trousers tucked into socks. I cringe every time I see it.

flyton5 wrote: »
    If they make a nasal sound when they speak, generally look unwashed. Usually Dunnes Stores tracksuit bottoms, Liverpool FC replica shirt.

he had three qauther (sorry about spelling) lenght bottoms ripped and paint on on them

I never realised how similiar farmers and scumbags were, well when it comes to clothes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

SugarHigh wrote: »
    Someone who is bad at math.

Funny you said that CSO made a statement 2 weeks ago stating 55% of irish adults a very bad at basic maths funny that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

come to tralee

Des Carter wrote: »
    I never realised how similiar farmers and scumbags were, well when it comes to clothes
    Im from ballyfermot you dip sh!t

maxxie wrote: »
    A member of An garda siochana :p wehayy
    who is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

- Pregnant, pushing a buggy with a toddler in it & smoking a fag.
    - Wearing a baseball cap at a 45 degree angle on their head.
    - Soverign rings, on each finger.

There's plenty more but I just can't think of them right now.

The excitement of reaching my 2000th post is overwhelming :p

I never said you weren't. Why am I a dip sh!t? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

ewww

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Anyone who lives in North Dublin.... :pac:

I never said you weren't. Why am I a dip sh!t? :confused::confused::confused::confused:
    Because your rounding everyone up as a farmers apparently who is writing a description of an opinion they have. So were farmers and by the way theres not a field or tractor any where near my area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

All of these things combined...

Useless.
    Lazy.
    Never worked.
    No car.
    Spits a lot.
    Swears a lot.
    Hardman walk when with other scummer friends.
    No hardman walk when alone.
    Only ever wears tracksuit bottoms & a football top.
    Annoying nasal knacker voice.
    Still lives with mam.
    Always in betting shop.
    Only ever drinks dutch gold.
    Zero Life goals.
    Play 5 a side 3 days a week.
    New nike runners every 3 months.
    New liverpool jersey every 6 months.
    New child every 9 months.

maxxie wrote: »
    ewww

Well please state were you from ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

curlzy wrote: »
    To me clothes doesn't make a scumbag, be it tracksuits, pyjamas, hoopy earrings etc, to me that doesn't equal being a scumbag at all. I think it may equal coming from a disadvantaged area but, to me anyway, being poor doesn't make you a scumbag.

To me a scumbag is:
    Someone who uses violence against people.
    Someone who abuses animals.
    Someone who steals.
    Someone who enjoys hurting or terrorising the elderly.

Those are my definitions of a scumbag.

I try not to judge people based on their clothes because I've had an inner city tracksuit wearing "scumbag" come to my rescue when I was being mugged, on another occasion I lost my purse and again it was a tracksuit wearer who gave me the money to get the bus home.

On the flip side all the suitwearing politicans in the Dail would be closer to my definition of scumbag than any other group.

I totally agree with you but because you wear a tracksuit does not mean your from a disadvantaged area, some tracksuits out there are upwards of €40+ ive seen mates pay *stupidly upwards of €50-60 for a shirt ( Casual Saturday night type ) with a logo/certain makers name on it.

Be honest, I have good job, would say Im verly well educated and intelligent , never been in any trouble with the law, and live a quiet life in a stable family environment.

But have to confess, in most of my free time I would wear an Adidas or Nike tracksuit and would be lost without my Air Max.
    I love my oldskool dance music and drive an Integra.

I probably fit the scumbag bracket , but sure Im happy in it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Any self-righteous snob who sneers at something that, while unsavoury, is rather trivial, i.e. spitting and who thinks he's better than those from the poorer sectors of society who wear certain clothes, don't speak with a polished accent and drink cans of beer outside.

I used to drink cans of beer in the street. Still do from time to time in the Summer, at the park, at festivals, etc. I have a flat Dublin accent and was raised on "da Nort-soide". I also have a rather impressive collection of trainers.
    I'm also a double degree-educated (TCD) engineer who works for multple prestigous European companies. I have property in Holland and Africa and I collect books and international beers and I speak 3 languages.

Am I a scumbag.....budh??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Clothes don't make the scumbag, a scummy, anti social attitude does.

THFC wrote: »
    Anyone who lives in North Dublin.... :pac:

Castleknock, Malahide, Portmarnock, Lusk, Rush, Clontarf, Howth, Sutton, Glasnevin, Drumcondra etc

Yeah alot of scumbags out that way lol

Because your rounding everyone up as a farmers apparently who is writing a description of an opinion they have. So were farmers and by the way theres not a field or tractor any where near my area.

I was saying farmers (or at least the ones that I know) dress the same as scumbags (except with wellies instead of runners) thats all. chill out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Any self-righteous snob who sneers at something that, while unsavoury, is rather trivial, i.e. spitting and who thinks he's better than those from the poorer sectors of society who wear certain clothes, don't speak with a polished accent and drink cans of beer outside.

I used to drink cans of beer in the street. Still do from time to time in the Summer, at the park, at festivals, etc. I have a flat Dublin accent and was raised on "da Nort-soide". I also have a rather impressive collection of trainers.
    I'm also a double degree-educated (TCD) engineer who works for multple prestigous European companies. I have property in Holland and Africa and I collect books and international beers and I speak 3 languages.

Yes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I think I can help, just some basic spelling issues have led to this fracas. The poster misspelled sheep dip. I'm from etc. etc. and we don't have any sheep dip.

(To non agricultural people, a sheep dip is essentially a public bathing facility for sheep)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭h8scobes

eh well they live in areas like ballymun and tallagh and they wear hats pointed up and matching tracksuits, like they wear le coq sportif. they stick socks into runners as well. they have greasy hair and eyes are close together.

You mistake poor education with being a scumbag.. I'd also consider a lot of bankers who give themselves a bonus upward of a normal persons annual wages - a scumbag.. So, my answer is probably

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

haha!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... I can't shake the feeling that they're just going nowhere in life! :P ...
    Bu' dey are goin' somewear bud, dey're goin' to rob yer bleedin' gaff.
    ... So, how would you stick someone in that category?
    ++1 with the general observations about attire above.

They generally congregate in packs of four or more, having shaven scabby heads on them, and that wasted / junkie / anorexic look.

Clothing is always adorned with either Manchester United (spits), Asenal (spits again) or Glasgow Celtic (spits again and again) insignia or colours.

Speech is normally some bastardised version of terms overheard on Eastenders or the X Factor (missing Dermot O'Leary's Yolaisms), localised to the Blanch, Drimnagh or Ballyer (-mun or -fermot). For example :
    Original : I went dahn the pub
    Scumbagese : I wuz down the bleedin' boozer las' nigh'.

Original : I was well pleased
    Scumbagese : I wuz bleedin' well bleedin' plee-azed
    A grammatical no-no for most people is to avoid splitting infinitives; a standard affectation in scumbag speech is to split (words) infinitely, for example :
    Normal speech : You'd be surprised.
    Scumbagese : Yous'd be sur-f***en-priazed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 xcatiex

hi all im from an area that is not so pleasent where ppl wear tracksuits that doesnt make them scumbags.. its the likes of people who steal purses start fights and generally are menaces... i know plenty of well to do people who would tear the clothes off your back just cos there well dressed they can still be scum:P

Well please state were you from ha

Tallaght rite warr ya sayin :)

Im only havin a giraffe. My granny lives in ballyfermot, god help her :p

Castleknock, Malahide, Portmarnock, Lusk, Rush, Clontarf, Howth, Sutton, Glasnevin, Drumcondra etc

Yeah alot of scumbags out that way lol

Too right there is! Rush and lusk, towns founded by knackers not alowed beyond the walls of Dublin! heads on them!
    The rest seem well to do but I just see them as scum with a different perfume and huge hair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

You really really need to get a life and a pair of balls, serious.

The reason why you feel intimidated by people who do this is cause you think your sh/t dont stink but your next statement below proves your a hypocrite

The internet has created a new class of society who likes to brandish people in trackies a scumbag from the comfort of their pc or device GROW UP:mad:

johnnyjb wrote: »
    You really really need to get a life and a pair of balls, serious.

The reason why you feel intimidated by people who do this is cause you think your sh/t dont stink but your next statement below proves your a hypocrite

The internet has created a new class of society who likes to brandish people in trackies a scumbag from the comfort of their pc or device GROW UP:mad:
    Haha, 2 martial arts here chief, a few scumbags don't intimidate me so you can jump off the geek behind the PC stereotype wagon.

As for the hypocritical statement, re-read it. I know what I said and I meant it as you saw it.... Derp.

Nerdrage more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement