Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

external filter

Options
  • 03-11-2010 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

hey
    im looking for a external filter for my aquarium its 180 liter..
    would like if the filter was quite and not really expensive..but i no ya pay for wat ya get so if there was a good quite 1 i prob would pay a bit more..
    hope ye can help thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Tetratec EX700 is 80 euro on zooplus.ie, that includes shipping too. Used to use one on my Rio 180. Pretty quiet, very reliable and one of the easiest I've come across to prime and get going after cleaning. Great price at that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭waxer1986

F-Stop wrote: »
    Tetratec EX700 is 80 euro on zooplus.ie, that includes shipping too. Used to use one on my Rio 180. Pretty quiet, very reliable and one of the easiest I've come across to prime and get going after cleaning. Great price at that too.

nice 1 ill have a look..how often should ya be cleaning them and how do ya clean them..is the pads uv to buy for them ?.
    kinda clueless on external filters

If you're monitoring your parameters you'll know if you are leaving it too long. With an EX 700 on a 180 and a normally stocked tank, probably once a month. They are dead easy to clean. When you are doing a water change empty about 10 litres of tank water into your water change bucket. Then unplug the filter, lift off the lid and take the whole canister part outside or to your bathroom or wherever. You've got three sections - like cages for different media types: bio balls, ceramic tubes, carbon filter, sponges, and fine floss. Apart from the floss and carbon you hardly every need to replace the other stuff. Give them a shake in the tank water to get the crud out and pop everything back in. Don't buy the floss pads, you can get big bags of floss for about 7 euro that will last ages, and that way you can just replace it with each cleaning.

Hope that helps.

If you're monitoring your parameters you'll know if you are leaving it too long. With an EX 700 on a 180 and a normally stocked tank, probably once a month. They are dead easy to clean. When you are doing a water change empty about 10 litres of tank water into your water change bucket. Then unplug the filter, lift off the lid and take the whole canister part outside or to your bathroom or wherever. You've got three sections - like cages for different media types: bio balls, ceramic tubes, carbon filter, sponges, and fine floss. Apart from the floss and carbon you hardly every need to replace the other stuff. Give them a shake in the tank water to get the crud out and pop everything back in. Don't buy the floss pads, you can get big bags of floss for about 7 euro that will last ages, and that way you can just replace it with each cleaning.

Hope that helps.

were would ya get them bags off floss out off...sounds good really thinking off getten 1

Think i got a bag in Seahorse Aquarium for about 7 or 8 euro. I'm sure you can get it online cheap and the postage would be nothing because it's light as a feather. I've heard some people say they buy a cheap pillow in Dunnes, or wherever, for about 3 euro and that it's the exact same stuff. I haven't done this, but I don't really see why not, except don't use any that have any antibacterial stuff and maybe give it a nice soak for a day or two before using it. I'm not saying you should use the stuffing from a pillow, but some claim it works. Same way that some people say that some types of cat litter are the same as expensive Tropica plant substrates. I have never put cat litter in my tanks.

• Advertisement

Think i got a bag in Seahorse Aquarium for about 7 or 8 euro. I'm sure you can get it online cheap and the postage would be nothing because it's light as a feather. I've heard some people say they buy a cheap pillow in Dunnes, or wherever, for about 3 euro and that it's the exact same stuff. I haven't done this, but I don't really see why not, except don't use any that have any antibacterial stuff and maybe give it a nice soak for a day or two before using it. I'm not saying you should use the stuffing from a pillow, but some claim it works. Same way that some people say that some types of cat litter are the same as expensive Tropica plant substrates. I have never put cat litter in my tanks.

i had a look on that Seahorse Aquarium they were charging me 7 euro p&p
    thats the same price as the floss..did u get this delivered from this crowed

Advertisement