Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Showing a Dog!

Options
  • 03-11-2010 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

hi i just have a few questions about showing a dog i have a yorkie pup who is from champion show line according to the IKC and breedclub i was wondering about showing her now im not really sure i want to but i was wondering what involves showing a dog at the moment she is 4 months and very clever she knows all basic commands and some more advance commands! at the moment im just really curious not sure if it would be for me would love more info on it!
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Firstly is she actually registered with the IKC herself? ,as they have to be to be shown at IKC shows.
    You would need to have her looked at by someone to see if shes suitable for showing, ie no major breed faults. Like in rottweilers if they have white hair on them its a disqualifying fault. Not sure what would be in Yorkies.

You would need to attend ring craft classes to learn how to show the dog and get them used to being handled by people and how to move around the ring.
    Dogs can be shown from 6 months at All Breed Champ Shows and some can be shown from 4 months at Breed Club Shows.

Have a look on www.showdogsireland.com for show dates etc and www.dogshowentry.ie for schedules for upcoming shows.

Theres a show on 13th November out In Swords if you are interested in going and see what goes on.
    If you like it then you could start going to classes then.
    Any more info you need just shout:)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

Thanks a mill yes she is IKC reg and transfered into my name! thanks will have a look at the show in november the vet said she is a perfect example of a yorkie but will go along to the show and have a look see if its for me
    thanks for the info!

sophie1234 wrote: »
    Thanks a mill yes she is IKC reg and transfered into my name! thanks will have a look at the show in november the vet said she is a perfect example of a yorkie but will go along to the show and have a look see if its for me
    thanks for the info!

No harm to your vet, but unless he is a yorkie expert then he wont know if she is or not.
    Ive heard that so many times about peoples dogs, saying they are perfect examples of the breed when they are far from it.
    Vets arent experts in knowing the breed standard of every breed so they might think a dog is a good example of the breed when its not.

Oh btw, theres no perfect exampl of any breed, every dog has its faults;)

Come along to the show and see what you think. Showing isnt for everyone, but theres also agility and obedience too, so you might be interested in doing that if the showing isnt for you. I know few people with yorkies that do agility.:)

andreac wrote: »
    No harm to your vet, but unless he is a yorkie expert then he wont know if she is or not.
    Ive heard that so many times about peoples dogs, saying they are perfect examples of the breed when they are far from it.
    Vets arent experts in knowing the breed standard of every breed so they might think a dog is a good example of the breed when its not.

Oh btw, theres no perfect exampl of any breed, every dog has its faults;)

Come along to the show and see what you think. Showing isnt for everyone, but theres also agility and obedience too, so you might be interested in doing that if the showing isnt for you. I know few people with yorkies that do agility.:)

oh i no vets are no experts she used to show her yorkies when they were younger thats what gave me the idea! i just didnt wanna hang around the vets talking to her! oh i no every dog has faults ? another quick question is netureing out of the question when showing? does it need to be the full dog?

sophie1234 wrote: »
    oh i no vets are no experts she used to show her yorkies when they were younger thats what gave me the idea! i just didnt wanna hang around the vets talking to her! oh i no every dog has faults ? another quick question is netureing out of the question when showing? does it need to be the full dog?

Ah right, thats different then:)

No, you cannot neuter, dogs have to be entire as they check for the testicles. Females are not meant to be neutered either but its obv not easy to tell if they have been neutered or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I think your own biggest problem might well be maintaining a show coat on a Yorkie, absolutely try it though, it's the only way to find out if it's for you or not.

I think your own biggest problem might well be maintaining a show coat on a Yorkie, absolutely try it though, it's the only way to find out if it's for you or not.

yes i have to agree i do keep my scnauzer fairly well the yorkie is now staarting from a new slate with her hair as she had most of her hair removed as it was still the puppy hair that was very dark and the light grey was coming trew! thanks :-) there hair is very thin so been brushing it two three times a day and its still very short!! so as it grows ill be brushing it much more!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭HelenT

I just started showing our dog (a cocker spaniel). I went to the ring craft classes at Cloghran every week for practise and also for the opportunity to chat face to face with others to get advice etc.

Our first show was a fab experience! All the other owners in the category took us under their wing and gave us lots of tips and advice. A lovely couple even tried to undo the carnage I did to my pups coat! We made lots of mistakes in the ring but still got a prize. I really would encourage you to give it a go and see if it is for you and your dog.

I also chatted to the judge afterwards and asked him for feedback on the pup and his advice was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

HelenT wrote: »
    I just started showing our dog (a cocker spaniel). I went to the ring craft classes at Cloghran every week for practise and also for the opportunity to chat face to face with others to get advice etc.

Our first show was a fab experience! All the other owners in the category took us under their wing and gave us lots of tips and advice. A lovely couple even tried to undo the carnage I did to my pups coat! We made lots of mistakes in the ring but still got a prize. I really would encourage you to give it a go and see if it is for you and your dog.

I also chatted to the judge afterwards and asked him for feedback on the pup and his advice was great.

So nice to see someone showing their dogs and having fun. Too many people have a negative view of showing and never give it a chance to find out how enjoyable it is, not to mention the friends you make and tips you learn :)

Advertisement