Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems boiling potatoes

Options
  • 03-11-2010 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Its seems of late that when I am boiling potatoes they start disintegrating in the pot before they are cooked, the core is still very hard. I bring them to the boil at max heat, then reduce the heat to stop the water spilling over the pot (water still hot enough that its bubbling away). Am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Don't boil, steam - never break up that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Have you changed the type of potatoes you use?

Are you boiling them whole? Peeled? If you're not doing it already make chop them so they're all the same size and maybe go for a little smaller than you usually would. You might try a more gentle ramp up to boiling and then a very gentle simmer -barely bubbling.

I've had the same thing happen with steamed potatoes, they can be temperamental, especially the very floury ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

boil them till they go kinda soft about 10/15 mins then strain off 3/4 of the water (mayb a bit more)cover the spuds with a teatowel turn the temp to the lowest setting and they will dry steam and cook perfectly in about10/15 mins :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,147 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Or if you're in a hurry drain and dry them off on the heat when the skins start cracking. Then give them a minute or two in the microwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I agree with the steaming option - mashed spuds made with steamed potatoes and a potato ricer are the best, you never get a lump!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement