Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Freeman's Journal, Sat Nov 22nd 1924

• 03-11-2010 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

One of the many interesting items found in my grandfathers house upon his death was the above.

Adverts such as "Travel to America bt the s.s. Republic" in places now occupied by adverts for Aer Lingus and Ryanair. Interesting to note that the Dublin stock exchange was as "subdued" in 1924 as it is today!

The Freeman's Journal was Ireland's longest running newspaper title and ceased publication in late 1924, so this is at the very least one of the last issues.

It' is complete and it's condition is relatively good overall, with some light tearing around the edges and folds. All in, considering it is 86 years old it is surprisingly intact.

Is there any significance or value to it?

I would love to see it go to somewhere that it can be preserved.

It really is a delightful window into another time.

I will post pics as soon as I get time.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

tippilot wrote: »
    Interesting to note that the Dublin stock exchange was as "subdued" in 1924 as it is today!

That tells you more about the state of today's Ireland , when compared to stock exchange at the time of full blown civil war in this country !

Love reading them , and some of them can be worth a few quid if issue is political .

Advertisement