Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confused about Bike Gear

• 03-11-2010 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi guys I have bought a bike but need gear are there any brands I need to steer clear of:confused: what brands should I be looking at for shorts tops jackets gloves and socks:confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Assos is nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lumen wrote: »
    Assos is nice.

It really is the only brand for cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Raam wrote: »
    It really is the only brand for cycling.

If you're johnny big bucks.
    There's plenty of other good brands but you have to shop around and read the reviews for the best deals. I recently got into cycling and bought my first pair of bib shorts a while back and got these
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29164
    For stuff like overshoes and leg warmers I find the Endura stuff good. Also got Endura mitts which I find good
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26697
    It's an expensive game and there's plenty of stuff to keep adding to the collection so happy hunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I just bought a pair of Santini GITCX Bib Shorts from Chain Reaction, they cost £61.78 which is about €72 but they are fantastic and come highly praised in the cycling fraternity. They make my Lidl shorts look like a rag.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Assos is expensive, but wears very well. I have stuff that I've been wearing for over 3 years, and its nearly in as good a condition as when I bought it. I have had one jersey with a faulty zip, but the only other Assos gear I have had to "retire" has been as a result of crashes. Add to that the sheer quality of their clothing, and it's probably a lot better value than a lot of people think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I don't do much cycling but like Santini clothing.
    I get mine here http://www.prendas.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Assos great winter gear. Simply the best for jackets and tights.
    Panache - unbelievably good bib shorts.
    Rapha - good for overshoes, baselayers and gilets. Arm and knee warmers good. Shorts are way too flimsy and get very wet from sweat. No wicking.
    DHB- low price bib tights. I really like them. Warm and fit well.
    Satini - good jerseys and gilets.
    Nalini- like the jerseys hate the shorts.
    Campagnola - I love the shorts. Also do excellent winter gloves.
    Spin 11. Jerseys not bad but zips are ugly.
    I have merino beanies that I bought from Outdoor Pursuits. Great for really cold days.
    Underarmour. I have two extreme weather baselayers. These are for when temp drops close to or below zero. Excellent.
    Buffs. invaluable.
    Oakley Radars.
    Sealskinz. Feel funny but do help to keep feet warm on very wet days. They are not really waterproof, but highly resistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dave45dave

Check alibaba.com. Bought my gear from it , long sleeves and bottoms for £48 with livery on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭johnnyb1

Thanks guys much appreciate the help:D:D

Advertisement