Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs for a first time renter?

Options
  • 03-11-2010 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭

Would anyone be able to give me a rough estimate of what costs are involved in the renting of an apartment/house for say €1000 a month.
    So far I have come up with these possibilities but I may have missed something?

Initial costs
    €1000 Deposit
    Renters Insurance
    TV license

Monthly costs
    €1000 Rent
    Electricity
    Heating (May be electric so could be included above?)
    TV
    Broadband
    Refuse collection
    Groceries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭RedXIV

TBH I think you've covered the worst of it? You'll find as you start renting you're missing things you never thought of before, I moved into one place once and it was day 2 until I realised it didn't have a fridge :o

The only other thing that comes to mind is management fees IF they apply but I think you're grand mate. go enjoy the freedom!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I would of thought management fees are the responsibility of the landlord?

So would this be a realistic estimate?

Initial costs
    €1000 Deposit
    €250 Renters Insurance
    €160 TV license
    €1410 TOTAL

Monthly costs (No idea just guessing here)
    €1000 Rent
    €150 Electricity
    €150 Heating (May be electric so could be included above?)
    €30 TV
    €20 Broadband
    €20 Refuse collection
    €150 Groceries
    €1520 TOTAL

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭RedXIV

It can be included in the rent or some landlords will pay it or you may have to pay it as extra. unfortunately there isn't a standard here

To be honest, you're being very generous with the money you're putting aside for bills. I just left a 2 bed house and it cost about 180 every 2 months for electricity. and heating was included in that.

If you can afford to put all that aside every month, you'll be fine, you'll probably be able to put together a nice rainy day fund out of what your not using from those funds.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

it depends on the house.

We used to live in a new 2 bed house,there were 3 adults and heating was gas.
    Gas - averaged about 80 euro every 2 months,it was higher in cold weather and in the summer was only used for hot water for showers.
    Electricity - about 100 euro every 2 months
    Bins - shop around,(don't forget to keep receipts and claim tax credit for them)
    Broadband and phone about 50 euro a month
    Shopping - as much or as little as you want but for 1 person 150 is loads.
    Get quotes for renters insurance 250 is what I paid for the buildings and contents when I lived in it. Allianz are prob a good bet for a reasonable quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Initial costs
    €1000 Deposit
    €250 Renters Insurance
    €160 TV license
    €1410 TOTAL

€1000 Rent
    €150 Electricity
    €30 TV
    €20 Broadband
    €20 Refuse collection
    €150 Groceries
    €1520 TOTAL

I think youre overestimating quite a bit with some things tbh. From my experience:

Initial costs
    €1000 Deposit
    €130 Renters Insurance
    €160 TV license

€1000 Rent
    €50-€100 Electricity incl heating (depends on the time of year; I use quite a bit of electrical equipment such as TV and computers and have electric heating but I dont use a dishwasher and only sparingly use the tumble dryer. During the summer months my electricity was about €40-€50 per month. Itll be more obviously in winter with the heat on a lot more.)
    €90 TV and Broadband combined (UPC w/Sky Sports)
    Refuse collection part of rent
    Groceries: Im a bollox for buying food by the day rather than by the week, but Id say on average about €50-€70 a week (thats for me; YMMV).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Get quotes for renters insurance 250 is what I paid for the buildings and contents when I lived in it. Allianz are prob a good bet for a reasonable quote.

If youre renting then you should only need contents insurance which should cost no more than €150 for the year I shouldnt have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Initial costs
    €1000 Deposit
    €250 Renters Insurance
    €160 TV license
    €1410 TOTAL

€1000 Rent
    €150 Electricity
    €30 TV
    €20 Broadband
    €20 Refuse collection
    €150 Groceries
    €1520 TOTAL

If it's an apartment refuse will most likely be part of the rent. Also Electricity and Heating are generally bi-monthly bills and you'd probably be talking between 100 - 200 bi-monthly depending on usage \time of year.

Thanks for the replies, exactly what I was looking for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You will also likely need things for the kitchen (crockery, utensils, etc), living room (TV, soft furnishings), bedroom (bed clothes) & bathroom (what ever you fancy). However, be wary of going ona big splurge and buying things you end up not using.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    You will also likely need things for the kitchen (crockery, utensils, etc), living room (TV, soft furnishings), bedroom (bed clothes) & bathroom (what ever you fancy). However, be wary of going ona big splurge and buying things you end up not using.

We should have most of the stuff you mentioned already before moving in. I know what you mean though because I am tempted to get something like an xbox knowing full well I'll probably rarely play with it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

djimi wrote: »
    If youre renting then you should only need contents insurance which should cost no more than €150 for the year I shouldnt have thought.
    Yup,I am the landlord so cover my house and contents.

I have one more question I was wondering if someone could answer?
    When do you do the snaglist for your new rental, before or after you sign the lease?
    What I'm worried about it say if I go and view a place and everything appears in order (I wouldn't want to be poking around too much if there is tenants still there). Then I call the next day after thinking it over and we agree on a price and I sign the lease. If the snaglist is then done on the day you are handed the keys and you notice a big problem you didnt see on the first viewing is the landlord/letting agent just going to fob you off because you have already paid the deposit+1st months rent and signed the lease?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I have one more question I was wondering if someone could answer?
    When do you do the snaglist for your new rental, before or after you sign the lease?
    What I'm worried about it say if I go and view a place and everything appears in order (I wouldn't want to be poking around too much if there is tenants still there). Then I call the next day after thinking it over and we agree on a price and I sign the lease. If the snaglist is then done on the day you are handed the keys and you notice a big problem you didnt see on the first viewing is the landlord/letting agent just going to fob you off because you have already paid the deposit+1st months rent and signed the lease?

To address the bold part now - while there's not much need to be poking around a wardrobe or chest of drawers I wouldn't hesitate to let this bother you for the rest of the house. You must poke around everything, test them out, check everything works, check the appliances, check the heating, check the showers, toilets, check the sofa, beds, chairs, etc. It should all influence your decision whether you take the place or not.

If your 'snag list' is too long it should put you off the place. If too many things are damaged while tenants are already there then why would you think they'll be fixed for you?

There's no guarantee that you're going to get a landlord willing to meet your demands, even if you 'agree' to things before the lease gets signed they wont necessarily always get done, so your best bet is to go for a place that has little to be done. The opposite could of course be true, maybe you'll find a landlord that wants to do up the place for a new tenant, but other than providing the minimum standards you don't have much of a say as to when the landlord has to complete your list of tasks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 zer0c00l

RedXIV wrote: »
    It can be included in the rent or some landlords will pay it or you may have to pay it as extra. unfortunately there isn't a standard here

To be honest, you're being very generous with the money you're putting aside for bills. I just left a 2 bed house and it cost about 180 every 2 months for electricity. and heating was included in that.

If you can afford to put all that aside every month, you'll be fine, you'll probably be able to put together a nice rainy day fund out of what your not using from those funds.

I think it depends on how efficient your house is. I live in a **** apartment, which I just got a BER for it, after complaining about how cold the place was. Turned out to be an E1, almost E2. 317khw/yr/m2. It's a 102 m2 apt, so it will cost around 30kkw per year, that's a LOT of money.

I spend close to 380/month on eletricity to keep the place warm.

Can't wait until end of the lease and get the hell out of here

Advertisement