Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boxxdr wiring

Options
  • 03-11-2010 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

I have done Boxxdr wiring with transistors and resistors on a zephyr but instead of soldering to the tiny TDI point on the bottom of the board I have gone and soldered to DBF1F because it is a little bigger, the other transistor leg is going to the right foot of aud_clamp my question is when I flash the patched smc image to the nand will this boot as normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The proper transistor method is by Blackaddr, not Boxxdr but since you're talking about not using DB1F1 off the bat I don't think you're using the suggested method of wiring.

I can't seem to get this through to you - don't use any other wiring method on a Zephyr, Falcon, Opus or Jasper except the transistor method. The other methods maintain the voltages for the JTAG for the entire duration the console is on and can lead to stability problems. The transistor method ensures the voltages are engaged only at boot up and is way safer.

Why not just follow the guide? If you follow the guide I can help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I found this wiring a little confusing

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5687/newwiring.jpg

So I went and had a crack at boxxdr method which clearly shows the transistors and resistors

So ask for help and I'll explain it to you :)

You get two transistors (2N3904) and two 10k resistors. Solder a 10K resistor to the middle leg of each of the transistors. Take one transistor and place the flat part on the table (the back of the transistor is flat, the front is curved like in the picture of the transistor in the image). The left leg is C, and the right leg is E, the middle leg is B.

Solder the left leg (C) to J2D2.2 (yellow wire). Solder wire to the right leg (E) and run it through one of the holes by the southbridge to the underside of the board, soldering it to the right leg of Q2N1. Solder a wire from the 10k resistor to J2D2.7.

Take the other transistor, solder it's left leg to J2D2.1 (red line) and solder the right leg to DB1F1 (pink). Solder a wire from the 10k resistor to J2D2.7.

Solder a wire from J2D2.4 to J2D2.7 (a jumper wire - just a normal, short wire).

And that's it :)

Excellent will have a crack at that, the nand currently has Xbr(intended to upgrade to freeBOOT with Xellous :D) on it the reason why I am trying this method is because I would get E79 with reverse jtag wiring and it would only boot to Xellous

I have done the wiring as suggested and it boots up into Xellous now to get the CPU key and compile the freeBOOT image...

• Advertisement

Bestpig again refuses to compile the freeBOOT.bin, I have tried the original nand and a zephyr xbr injected with kv, config blocks I have verified both the original dump and xbr in flash 360 and everything is ok, CPU is correct any ideas on this?

Problem solved, well sort of I downloaded a prebuilt freeboot 9199 image from xbins injected the kv into it compiled in freeboot and placed the smc file in the data directory the image compiled just fine so I renamed it updflash.bin stuck it on a USB stick booted Xellous and updated. Now I get to the dashboard but the screen is kind of black and white any thoughts or suggestions? I am using the regular av cable not HD cable

I don't know what's up with your Bestpig toolbox, it really should be working. Try building the freeboot images yourself as per the full guide that I link to in the tutorial.

There could be any number of things wrong with the prebuilt freeboot

I will try the HD output this evening and if that fails, I'll try compile it other ways as you suggested zephyrs are a nightmare!

It's not the zephyr that's wrong, it's something to do with your method. I've done plenty of JTAGs at this stage of everything but the Opus motherboards, the process is always the same and I've not had the bother you've had :)

• Advertisement

I will review my methods on the next Zephyr maybe updating it to 7371 before jtagging will make toolbox compile freeboot. This one seems to work on HDMI output although if I press eject I dont get Xellous just a blank screen

Just did another zephyr console today this time I updated to 7371 first and took the kv and config from the original dump then I got 9199 off xbins as again toolbox wasn't compiling freeboot with the original NAND inject kv and config into 9199 compiled freeboot with toolbox and updated with USB stick interestingly I get proper colour this time not black and white as before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

justryan wrote: »
    Just did another zephyr console today this time I updated to 7371 first and took the kv and config from the original dump then I got 9199 off xbins as again toolbox wasn't compiling freeboot with the original NAND inject kv and config into 9199 compiled freeboot with toolbox and updated with USB stick interestingly I get proper colour this time not black and white as before

I'm baffled as to whats happening your BestPig Toolbox. I've used it twice & was finished with it within seconds. In fact I found it so fast/easy, I figured surely I was doing something wrong...

Yeah, there must be something funny with your setup, either your computer or the toolbox you downloaded, or your reader. I've used for for over 20 JTAGs now and no hassle at all with it.

Advertisement