Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy or Girl ??

Options
  • 03-11-2010 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hey everyone

Was just wondering if anybody found the old wives tales about wether its a boy or girl true ??... Ive heard loads like carrying very low is boy and high a girl or if the hair grows quicker on your body its a boy and so on..:D

So come on girls has anyone any stories on wether what they say was completeley true in your pregnancies or just rubbish lol

Would love to hear what some women have to say:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'll tell you in late jan/early feb. My mam did the needle and thread over the bump thing and it predicted what this one would be and the next!! and according to it there will only be 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

As soon as I started to show I knew it was a boy this time as I started to lose the weight i put on with my girl last time.
    I am carrying low, hair is growing more and I am feeling way better then last time too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭kirstyor123

lynski wrote: »
    As soon as I started to show I knew it was a boy this time as I started to lose the weight i put on with my girl last time.
    I am carrying low, hair is growing more and I am feeling way better then last time too.
    That is exactly like me lynski all low, need a factory of razors lol and no sickness whatsoever.. old wives tale says all this is a boy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭kirstyor123

I'll tell you in late jan/early feb. My mam did the needle and thread over the bump thing and it predicted what this one would be and the next!! and according to it there will only be 2!

I am due also in Feb and all the old wives tales are saying its defo a boy, who needs scans eh lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You can be 50% right.....

The tale i heard was a little more x rated... For a boy. Women on top as men are stronger swimmers...

For a girl...Hope for the best...

It all seems daft to me to be honest....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

I have used the carrying high method for a boy and its work so far on everyone I guessed from like 11 years ago till now,

also if you grow alot of hair on your stomach, and your normally fair hair and its dark its to be a boy,

Guess it helps Ive been around pregnant women all my life :)

Also anyone I know thats had morning sickness on their first have turned out to be a girl, fingers crossed for myself so, had it something horrid till this week :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Load of cobblers.. My mother did that over my bump and it kept swinging the same way... When I had my 4D scan it proved it wrong.. sorry :)

xzanti wrote: »
    Load of cobblers.. My mother did that over my bump and it kept swinging the same way... When I had my 4D scan it proved it wrong.. sorry :)

I'm sceptical by nature but she's predicted on all my aunts and it's always been right even down to how many they would have. As I said I'll tell you in jan/feb and then again if the next one is as predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

picture.php?albumid=1382&pictureid=7751
    me with baby number 1, at 32 weeks (11 years ago)

girl. 9lb 1oz, 1 week early

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

funny enough Ive gone to two fortune tellers and used some ''angel'' methods and all have giving me the same thing they cant tell me?

Now the fortune tellers didnt even want to tell me I was pregnant 'in case I didnt know' but told me all was well and I would have a healthy baby,

Tried the needle and thread and it stayed in middle too, I better not be having twins and they are joint sexes!! :eek:

Ha ha I cant wait to find out I want to be prepared plus Im a very impatient person :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

picture.php?albumid=1382&pictureid=7750

Baby number 2 at 16 weeks (5 years ago)

boy 7lb 6oz and 5 week premature

picture.php?albumid=1382&pictureid=7749

Me with number 3 at 12 weeks (4 years ago)

boy 8lb 15oz and 1 week early

I carried them all the same way but did put on more weight with number 3.

they were all very much to the front and neither high nor low.

So i think thats what it is old wifes tales. It may be true for some out there but it wasnt for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

My Mum and her family said that it was a boy if you spread out sideways (if you lost your waist from back view) and a girl if you stayed neat and the bump was all out in front.

My sister didn't look pregnant from behind on either of her children (and had two girls) but I don't know how much store I would put in any of these old-wives tales. A good friend of mine was very neat on both pregnancies (which mum would have predicted girls on) and had two boys.

It's fun to guess, but we're not going to be buying any gender distinct items until after the baby is born and we have proper visual confirmation :) We decided we'd prefer the surprise.

We really don't mind which it is, as long as it's healthy and has all its fingers and toes. We've both had dreams with the baby in them, and it's always a boy, but that could be some sub-conscious desire we're not aware of.

picture.php?albumid=1382&pictureid=7751
    me with baby number 1, at 32 weeks (11 years ago)

girl. 9lb 1oz, 1 week early

I look exactly like that. All bump to the front and carrying it in the middle; neither high nor low. Suprisingly my hips and thighs haven't spread as much as I thought they would considering I usually put my weight on there first. Sometimes if I see my reflection straight ahead I forget I'm pregnant for a moment because my hips are still quite slim (relatively speaking!)

The doc has already said I'm either 2 wks further on or it's going to be a big baby.

I look exactly like that. All bump to the front and carrying it in the middle; neither high nor low. Suprisingly my hips and thighs haven't spread as much as I thought they would considering I usually put my weight on there first. Sometimes if I see my reflection straight ahead I forget I'm pregnant for a moment because my hips are still quite slim (relatively speaking!)

The doc has already said I'm either 2 wks further on or it's going to be a big baby.

I never had hips or thighs until after my first. I was a size 8-10 (8stone 2 oz) when i got pregnant and was a size 10-12 (9 stone 5 oz)after, oh and i had boobs for the first time too (i breast fed for 2.5 years). I had bad morning sickness the whole way through and burst all the blood vessels in my face, eyes, lips and neck. I even was vomiting during labour. I put on 3 stone and lost 2 within 2 weeks of her birth.

Have you had your (approx) 32 week scan? with my last scan (baby number 3) they were able to tell me the weight, he was 5lb something.

The worst thing was when i was pregnant the second time they told me if i could push out a 9lb pound baby i could push out a 10lb baby, i was not impressed, turns out he was 5 weeks early anyway (thankfully).

Also you might be the same as me, my uterus is big the more babies i have the bigger it gets. e.g at 20 weeks your uterus is at your navel. Mine reached the navel well before 20 weeks with my 3rd guy and i was scanned for twins (i was scanned for twins with each of my 3 pregnancy because my uterus was bigger than normal), but that's just the way I'm built. You could be the same, my dates were right.

With the 2nd guy i looked as if i was full term and they questioned my dates in the labour unit, but when he was born he was covered in vernix and they said my dates were correct even though he weighed in at 7lb 6oz. He was fine and healthy.

I'm def a hip and thigh person usually with a small waist which us why I'm suprised at my pregnant shape. I got a 22 scan in the coombe which is the last official one and everything was fine at that stage but I've grown do much since then. Baby was 1.4lbs then. I've a consultant appointment next tues so will mention it then.

My mam would be tiny across the hips and she pushed 5 big (more than 8.5lbs) out with very easy quick deliveries. So I know if she can do then I can too.

Just funny to see your shape on that babs because it's so like me now and I've taken to looking at other pregnant women and I look completely different to most. Carrying in the middle explains my back pain too but most people tell me I'm very neat. I certainly don't feel neat!

I'm def a hip and thigh person usually with a small waist which us why I'm suprised at my pregnant shape. I got a 22 scan in the coombe which is the last official one and everything was fine at that stage but I've grown do much since then. Baby was 1.4lbs then. I've a consultant appointment next tues so will mention it then.

My mam would be tiny across the hips and she pushed 5 big (more than 8.5lbs) out with very easy quick deliveries. So I know if she can do then I can too.

Just funny to see your shape on that babs because it's so like me now and I've taken to looking at other pregnant women and I look completely different to most. Carrying in the middle explains my back pain too but most people tell me I'm very neat. I certainly don't feel neat!

I was very neat with my first two, the 3rd guy i put on weight on my bum and got stretch marks there too. Hope you go like your mam quick and easy delivery's.

With 2 labours i had 6 or 7 people in gawping at my most private area, once with the premature baby when people came rushing in when they realised he was premature (and i was badly torn) and the other time was with the 3rd guy and he was redoing all the damage the 2nd guy did,which was a lot. 7 people in a shoe box shouting instructions, stop pushing it was chaos. took them 1 hour to stitch me up. my mother had no stitches and no stretch marks and we were all under 7.8lb.

All 3 had the cord around their necks and the first lady was blue and floppy at birth but picked up within a few mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

We think that this one is a girl, just our instinct - 50% chance of being right - hopefully we will get to find out in the second trimester. My pregnancy symtoms are totally different than for our son so that is our logic.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    We think that this one is a girl, just our instinct - 50% chance of being right - hopefully we will get to find out in the second trimester. My pregnancy symtoms are totally different than for our son so that is our logic.

Best of luck.

I was very sick with my lady and only had nausea with my boys other than that they were the same, oh the 2nd baby was a kicker but the first and 3rd weren't, they were very quiet inside me. As for cravings i didn't really have any but with my first lady i went off stuff .

How are your cravings? (even though its early days yet). Your not really allowed to have sweet cravings, unless of course you go hypoglycemic;).

Best of luck.

I was very sick with my lady and only had nausea with my boys other than that they were the same, oh the 2nd baby was a kicker but the first and 3rd weren't, they were very quiet inside me. As for cravings i didn't really have any but with my first lady i went off stuff .

How are your cravings? (even though its early days yet). Your not really allowed to have sweet cravings, unless of course you go hypoglycemic;).
    Have had cravings for spinach so far though it can change. (Spinach and ricotta tortellini is my weakness). Did not have cravings with my son. I do like cucumber pickle with mayo and saeurcraut but just have to take insulin for that. Oh, I am loving vente full fat vanilla latte at the moment but am not sure if that is a craving or the fact that I have only been able to have them again now since my total oesophagectomy. The diabetic team are just happy if I eat! Garlic makes me gag, though it did with my son too.

• Advertisement

Good stuff, garlic makes me gag too.

I must say your exotic food would not be too my taste buds pregnant or not.

How do you find your diabetic team are you having more appointments now monthly rather than 1/3?

You have been through a lot but your coming out on top, well done. I'm sure baby Shane will love his new brother or sister, they will be like twins (mine are), its nice to have them close together. Anyways off to make the tea.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

"I had bad morning sickness the whole way through and burst all the blood vessels in my face, eyes, lips and neck. I even was vomiting during labour. I put on 3 stone and lost 2 within 2 weeks of her birth. "

I had severe sickness with my 1st from about 7 weeks until she was born with a break of about 2 weeks,was also vomiting during labour and I didn't even realsie I could burst so many blood vessels in my face! 3 days after birth I was back in my pre pregnancy jeans.
    Of course during maternity leave I piled on the lbs and had gone up a size by the time I went back to work.
    This time permanently nauseas don't like the idea of most food but definately not been anywhere as sick,consultant did tell me it is unusual to be so sick in a subsequent pregnancy though.
    Not craving sugar as much this time either:)
    Now is not a good time to remember how awful and good labour is!
    Think I will invest in a tens machine at least if it doesn't kill the pain it will distract me:)
    You could never tell that I was pregnant if you looked at my back,bumps have been very neat,I thought htis bump was a girl now I think it is a boy!

Good stuff, garlic makes me gag too.

I must say your exotic food would not be too my taste buds pregnant or not.

How do you find your diabetic team are you having more appointments now monthly rather than 1/3?

You have been through a lot but your coming out on top, well done. I'm sure baby Shane will love his new brother or sister, they will be like twins (mine are), its nice to have them close together. Anyways off to make the tea.....
    I go to the maternity clinic every 2 weeks due to the type 1 diabetes and other issues (have had multiple mis). With adults you go to the diabetic doctors less and only go to the maternity clinic during pregnancy. I like German food in general as I am part German. My nausea and cravings have been strong and I have been very tearful, unlike with my son.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    "I had bad morning sickness the whole way through and burst all the blood vessels in my face, eyes, lips and neck. I even was vomiting during labour. I put on 3 stone and lost 2 within 2 weeks of her birth. "

I had severe sickness with my 1st from about 7 weeks until she was born with a break of about 2 weeks,was also vomiting during labour and I didn't even realsie I could burst so many blood vessels in my face! 3 days after birth I was back in my pre pregnancy jeans.
    Of course during maternity leave I piled on the lbs and had gone up a size by the time I went back to work.
    This time permanently nauseas don't like the idea of most food but definately not been anywhere as sick,consultant did tell me it is unusual to be so sick in a subsequent pregnancy though.
    Think I will invest in a tens machine at least if it doesn't kill the pain it will distract me:)
    I am lucky, will have to be another c-section due to my medical history. I was back in all my size 8 clothes within a month of giving birth - am wearing empire line dresses at the moment ever though my weight gain has been less this time - I do not like things close to my tummy. I think that you are having another beautiful girl again this time, though a baby boy would also be lucky to have you as a mummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

The one I heard of was that if the bump was leaning to the right, it was a girl, left for a boy.

Don't usually believe in hokum like that but it's proved true so far....

Moonbeam wrote: »

You could never tell that I was pregnant if you looked at my back,bumps have been very neat,I thought htis bump was a girl now I think it is a boy!

Why am i happy im not the only one, sorry!

Its a right pain being so sick. I looked hideous i had no pregnancy glow, i had a polka dot face.

I hope the nausea and sickness improve.

smokingman wrote: »
    The one I heard of was that if the bump was leaning to the right, it was a girl, left for a boy.

Don't usually believe in hokum like that but it's proved true so far....

Well every time i had a braxton hick the bump would lean to the left or the right with both the girl and the boys, and if it was hurting me i would push it into the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Also anyone I know thats had morning sickness on their first have turned out to be a girl, fingers crossed for myself so, had it something horrid till this week :)

Both myself and my cousin had extreme morning sickness on our firsts and they were both boys:D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Missy Moo

I carried high on my first two and all at the front and very low on my third , and I had all boys :D .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I carried high and tidy when having my baby. We did the needle thing and it said 'girl'. I craved oranges - supposedly a sign that it's a girl. I had no morning sickness - sign it's a boy. All the older women I know told me I was having a boy. I was convinced it was a girl and regularly dreamed of a girl baby. Anyway, he is definitely a he and is brilliant.

Advertisement