Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question for VM gurus out there

• 03-11-2010 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭

Where does VMware get it's MAC address from.

VMware has been installed by another company where I work on a number of machines

They install VMware, then copy from a working VMware machine call it machine 1, all the VMware files from "Vmware " folder on working machine. (machine 1) to the newly set up vm pc's.

In copying from one machine to another, does this mean the mac address will be copied from machine 1 to the newly set up vm pc's.

(PS I think they may have copied one set of VM files, and some time later, copied another set of vm files from another machines, lets call it machine 2)

Reason I ask I captured the mac address last week and now macs have changed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

What version of VMWare are you using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭k123456

Hi Aidan
    VM workstation ver 7.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

When a virtual machine is powered on, the VMware application automatically assigns it a MAC address. The software guarantees that virtual machines are assigned unique MAC addresses within a given host system. However, the software does not guarantee that a given virtual machine is assigned the same MAC address every time it is powered on.
    If you want to guarantee that the same MAC address is assigned to a given virtual machine every time, even if the virtual machine is moved, or if you want to guarantee a unique MAC address for each virtual machine within a networked environment, you can assign the address manually instead of allowing VMware Workstation to assign it automatically.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/507

Advertisement