Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

importing an american motorhome

• 03-11-2010 7:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I would like to import an American motorhome, 32ft, 6400kg weight, year 1994.

what is the import duty likely to cost (bringing it from the UK), does it need NCT, what is the annual road tax?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

CamperMan wrote: »
    Hi,

I would like to import an American motorhome, 32ft, 6400kg weight, year 1994.

what is the import duty likely to cost (bringing it from the UK), does it need NCT, what is the annual road tax?

Thanks

Annual road tax as a camper is €85 odd quid. As the vehicle is over 3.5 tonne, it will be €50 VRT, but this changes on the 1st of January 2011 to 13.5% of the open market selling price.

It will need an annual DOE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

also clear it with your insurance first ...some insurances have a 6000 cc (or therabouts) limit ...these american engines can be bigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

It will need an annual DOE

Which it will most likely fail , as it won't have E marked glass , mirrors , or lamps .

Look around Ireland , there's people trying to get rid of them here , we had several people desperately trying to trade them in . I heard of one guy in Clare , spent 400k on a behomoth from the US about 2-3 years ago.. he can't get 60k for it now...

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    spent 400k on a behomoth from the US about 2-3 years ago.. he can't get 60k for it now...

OH MY GOD. Seriously? Surely they could get the glass replaced on it.

where would you get E marked glass for the cab of a US GMC or Ford?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Give it a week and there will be emarking kits on ebay for 6.97 with free shipping from hongkong :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭muint

Also make sure there is a petrol station every few miles along your chosen route..... I presume it's a petrol model??
    Shudder to think of the running costs....

where would you get E marked glass for the cab of a US GMC or Ford?

This might sound stupid, but is it not possible to get some bespoke panes of glass made up to the standard. Meaning, if you can afford €400K on a MH, then surely you would be able to afford to get the windows done, if its possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The glass might cost you more than the motorhome :D

Not many companies around that can legally e-mark automotive glass. Those that do are high volume automotive suppliers and react adversly to once-off orders. And then there would be tooling cost, setting up cost, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jinghong

Which it will most likely fail , as it won't have E marked glass , mirrors , or lamps .

Look around Ireland , there's people trying to get rid of them here , we had several people desperately trying to trade them in . I heard of one guy in Clare , spent 400k on a behomoth from the US about 2-3 years ago.. he can't get 60k for it now...

presumably there is a market on the continent for this unaltered

• Advertisement

Nope , can't see how , the E mark is European wide, .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Actually now that i think of it a lot of the drilling rigs I've seen are on gmc trucks I wonder do the vehicle testers ignore it in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

A bit of reality and common sense here guys.
    First there are hundreds if not thousands of American RV's on the roads of the UK & Europe so when the RSA get their act together and bring the proposed procedures for roadworthiness testing of 'motor caravans' in line with the the existing practice throughout the rest of Europe, the glass shouldn't be a problem, if it is they will be falling foul of the free movement of goods and services directives.
    BTW, the definition 'motor caravan' includes everything from miniature Bedford Bambie's to the huge American Pushers,
    But I am putting the cart before the horse here because our illustrious legislators have not yet amended the enabling legislation for vehicle roadworthiness testing to include 'motor caravans' so a 'DoE' test is currently NOT a legal requirement in the RoI.
    Some dealers do however get their vehicles done just to make buyers happy it's has been given a test to show its not a heap, and it's probably cheaper than an independent engineers report.

Advertisement