Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Help! Fked up scratching off 2100 Ms point code!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

XBOX employee, if you are going to post, post something constructive.

Everyone else, please keep on topic.

Any more personal insults or acting the idiot, that person gets a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭XBOX employee

FutureGuy wrote: »
    XBOX employee, if you are going to post, post something constructive.

Everyone else, please keep on topic.

Any more personal insults or acting the idiot, that person gets a ban.

Ah but you see i just informed him of his sillyness of scratching the ppc incorrectly and informed him nothing can be done which i beleive is on topic and constructive . In regards to "acting the idiot" i havnt taken offense to this but i could so you gotta practise what you preach Mr. Moderator :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Ok lads, Xbox employee is clearly a troll and idiot, (Sorry futureguy) but unlike the troll, I do actually work for Xbox customer support.

For PPC being scratched off too hard, it's not that we don't care, it's more the fact there's NOTHING we can do. The best we can do here is look up the PPC in our system, but to see if it's been used or not, we need the full set of numbers. Best you can do is TRY return it to a retailer, but they will more than likely say no. Sorry dude :(

My personal advice for you next time you buy a PPC, use your nail... GENTLY. =/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

But you are acting the idiot, posting my name on this thread for no purpose whatsoever is just one example. So you might know me, or you might have googled me, either way there's some serious trolling being done and I'm actually surprised I even responded once, now look at me go. I haz been trolled :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Overtimer

Xinkai wrote: »
    Ok lads, Xbox employee is clearly a troll and idiot, (Sorry futureguy) but unlike the troll, I do actually work for Xbox customer support.

For PPC being scratched off too hard, it's not that we don't care, it's more the fact there's NOTHING we can do. The best we can do here is look up the PPC in our system, but to see if it's been used or not, we need the full set of numbers. Best you can do is TRY return it to a retailer, but they will more than likely say no. Sorry dude :(

Actually i can verify that he "Xbox Employee" does work for Xbox customer support as so do i, UNfortunately you caught him on his time of month:D.....but as you said there is nothing we can do, you can call in if you want but all we will be able to do is give you a service request number and tell you to contact your retailer

• Advertisement

If you work for support you should no bringing it back to the retailer DOES NOT WORK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Any joy yet?

QC7BI
    QO7BT

By the way OP, just incase you were thinking of brute forcing it (trying every possiblity for the five scratched digits) there are 60,446,176 possibilities (36^5). Even at 1 per second (if you coded a script, which wouldn't be hard) it'd take a maximum of 700 days to crack it :)

If you can reduce the alphabet then it'd be more manageable to brute force.

20 possibilities per character reduces the maximum crack time to 37 days.

If you're positive the first one is a Q then that'll reduce the max combinations to 36^4 (which is 1,679,616, which'll take 19 days max at one try per second.

If you go with Q for character 1, and reduce the rest of the possiblities to 20 per character (say 10 letters, 10 digits) then it'd take at most 2 days. I'd go with this one before I give up and buy another one :P)

If you work for support you should no bringing it back to the retailer DOES NOT WORK

Read carefully, it's up to the retailer to replace the code, but the retailer usually calls in to verify the PPC to make sure it wasn't used. In this case, OP has no chance of replacement unless he can quote the 25 digits so we can check in the system. Although if he gets the code, he will just use it anyways. So yes, Mr. Employee, you are right, as we all are. Also my next pod neighbor has some always ultra if you have to borrow one ;D

Haha good one

• Advertisement

Ok this is getting out of hand.

XBOX employee, I was trying to be diplomatic earlier, but it's clear you have no interest in this forum other than causing trouble. You have been insulting, abusive, smart-arsed and you have posted personal details of another poster. 1 week ban.

Everyone else, do not try my patience this morning. Get back on topic or I will lock the thread.

Not speaking as a moderator, I highly doubt that you are affiliated with Microsoft in any way. If you are, then I think they would be stunned if they found out that one of their representatives was behaving in a highly unprofessional manner on an Xbox forum during working hours.

Read carefully, it's up to the retailer to replace the code, but the retailer usually calls in to verify the PPC to make sure it wasn't used. In this case, OP has no chance of replacement unless he can quote the 25 digits so we can check in the system. Although if he gets the code, he will just use it anyways. So yes, Mr. Employee, you are right, as we all are. Also my next pod neighbor has some always ultra if you have to borrow one ;D

I had the same problem as the OP, except the glue used to fix the code card to the flyer actually destroyed the section of the paper containing the code.

The retailer took the box back and gave me a new unit. It seems to be retailer dependant, but it does work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

What about bringing it back to the shop and "claiming" it was a printing error when you "lightly" scratched it off :P

Conversation should go like this -

You - Hello Shopkeep, I bought this card from you not 24 hours ago and it seems a mishap occurred while printing
    Shop fellow - Let me see patron, By golly that does look like a printing error, Here take this replacement and my humblest apoligies about this i shall inform the printing people right away
    You - Thank you kind sir, You are a gentleman and a scholar, i tip my hat to thee.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I had the same problem as the OP, except the glue used to fix the code card to the flyer actually destroyed the section of the paper containing the code.

The retailer took the box back and gave me a new unit. It seems to be retailer dependant, but it does work.

See thats ok, because you had no access to the code, and thus, could not view it, and thus, could not use the code. If the customer can prove the code was not used, either by your problem where you couldn't view the code by visible damage, the retailer can see that you couldn't have entered the code, or in OP's case, the copde COULD have been used, and he can get the retailer to call us up, so we can check if the code was used or not, but in this case, it's possible that the OP could have used the code, then scratched it off.

OP, I don't think returning the code is possible, Xinkai has hit the nail on the head.

If this happens again I'd strongly suggest you not scratch off the stuff covering the rest of the code and head back to the retailer. Obviously if you've not scratched off half the code you couldn't have used it, so there should be no problem replacing the card.

Your best options are to guess or abandon all hope. Again, I'd go with guessing before giving up, but not spending too much time guessing (time is money etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

4th character looks like an S to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

1=Q
    2=4,6 or maybe G
    3=T
    4=B,S
    5=Y,T.

I'm thinking it's 'Q4TBY'. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Q4787 I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

Jaytee,If you cant resolve the problem over the phone with ms.Id suggest asking ms what the address for their ireland HQ support is.I had a problem before where i bought a xbla game during a sale,and they charged me the full price.They couldnt help me over the phone even when i started talking to the supervisor. He gave me the address for Ireland HQ and i sent a letter to them.A week or 2 later the problem was solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

is it possible that the first one could be a G ?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

YES!

GET IN THERE SUNSHINE!

THE CORRECT FIRST 5 DIGITS Were Q-G-T-B-Y

Thanks for all the help.

The "G" was the hardest bit didn't look like a G at all but on very close inspection I noticed a curve that was only found on a full G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

What's the prize, and don't say a manicure? :)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Don't think anyone stated that exact combination but if they did prize is getting added to my personal friends list!!!

Super Meat Boy first purchase. Needed to get it before it went up to 1200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

jayteecork wrote: »
    YES!

GET IN THERE SUNSHINE!

THE CORRECT FIRST 5 DIGITS Were Q-G-T-B-Y

Thanks for all the help.

The "G" was the hardest bit didn't look like a G at all but on very close inspection I noticed a curve that was only found on a full G.

Agh, I was thinking it was a G and i listed it in my post above,but I thought there was a number in each segment and it looked like a 4.

And I got this from zooming in on an iPhone, shame on you all for not being able to get it from a pc screen;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

No i am capable of scratching a ppc properly so therefore you're silly. Plus i work for Xbox so therefore im awesome :cool:

EDIT:only seen mod warning

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    EDIT:only seen mod warning

Love the Grammar Nazis :D

Also, nice work OP ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well done OP, glad to hear it worked out for you. Nice feeling! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

I was close! Not really but I knew there were 5 characters. Master detective, me. So you got your points and that xboxemployee boy got banned. Glad to know there was a happy ending to this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ghetto Cornetto

aha but you see i work for Xbox getting free equipment and wotnot and i also have a ps3 which is my fav console but shhhh . So yes i am awesome :cool::cool::cool: Theyre 500 dollar sunglasses asshole :P

:/

EDIT: Oh shi- just saw the mod warnings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

the 2nd one can only be a G, O, 0, C and maybe a Q!

the last letter looks like a T since the line is slightly slanted like the pevious T and not the Y which is printed striaghter

Advertisement