Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marinating a Steak?

Options
  • 03-11-2010 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

Will be cooking my first steak tomorrow, have two fillets bought for me and OH so....I would love to here any ideas people have for marinating a steak.

I'm clueless when it comes to cooking so tell me if I'm way off the mark with the following ideas.....I'm thinking of taking the steak out couple of hours before I cook and place in a bowl of BBQ sauce or Red wine (Is either one acceptable or unheard of?) .......

then fry up the pan and pour some cooking oil (or olive oil) on and throw the steaks on for 5 minutes turning occasionally (Should I do one steak at a time? Should I cut the fillet in two?)

Please help and I will make a charitable donation on your behalf!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would suggest firstly getting the steaks to room temp before you consider cooking them.
    As for marninating, just brush them with the olive oil and added salt and black pepper and then leaving them for 30mins, then heat up the ban until it is too hot to touch in the middle and cook the steaks.
    Don't add any additional oil to the pan. If your pan/skillet is big enough for them both then cook them other wise do one at a time. aLso when you take it off let it rest before cutting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Me & my OH love this Nigella recipe. It is a bit different given that you marinate the steak after you cook it, but I find it makes it really tender and lovely. I always really stick to the timing of 3 minutes each side and an additional minute at the end. The lemon in the marinate continue to "cook" it after anyhow. This gives a lovely medium rare steak. Obv cook for longer if you prefer well done. The one thing I will say is that I find you don't need the 80mls of extra virgin olive oil, I usually put all the ingredients into a large flat tray that will fit both steaks and give a large splash of oil, you will know yourself how much to use. I don't bother slicing it but you can if you wish. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Big Mouth wrote: »
    Will be cooking my first steak tomorrow, have two fillets bought for me and OH so....I would love to here any ideas people have for marinating a steak.

I'm clueless when it comes to cooking so tell me if I'm way off the mark with the following ideas.....I'm thinking of taking the steak out couple of hours before I cook and place in a bowl of BBQ sauce or Red wine (Is either one acceptable or unheard of?) .......

BBQ sauce would completely destroy a fillet steak. Keep it for the burgers.

Red wine would be a nice marinade.
    I like lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil.
    Big Mouth wrote: »
    then fry up the pan and pour some cooking oil (or olive oil) on and throw the steaks on for 5 minutes turning occasionally (Should I do one steak at a time? Should I cut the fillet in two?)

Please help and I will make a charitable donation on your behalf!!!!!!!!

If your pan is big enough, cook both together. No need to cut in two.
    Don't turn over until the crust has formed.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭WacoKid

Crack a load of black pettercorns onto a plate, brush steaks with olive oil and put a crust on black pepper on both sides of each steak. Don't be afraid the more you pepper you get to stick the better!

Heat a pan to a very high temp and cook for 3 mins either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

As above, don't ruin your steak my marinating it :)

Rub it with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place it in a hot dry pan, cooking it for 3 mins on each side. Cut a clove of garlic in half and rub it over the meat while it's cooking. Serve with garlic butter or peppercorn sauce. Simplest and best way to cook a quality piece of steak ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Pretty much the same as mentioned previously...

Olive Oil
    Salt
    Pepper

Hot Pan

Rub with Garlic while cooking

Throw a knob of butter and some rosemary into the pan half way through

Use the juices in the pan (meat juices, olive oil, butter) to baste the meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

As above, don't ruin your steak my marinating it :)

Rub it with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place it in a hot dry pan, cooking it for 3 mins on each side. Cut a clove of garlic in half and rub it over the meat while it's cooking. Serve with garlic butter or peppercorn sauce. Simplest and best way to cook a quality piece of steak ;)

trotter speaks the truth. I only discovered garlic butter with steak in a pub in Dunshaughlin An Sibin this year. My god it's delicious, even though I can never have too much garlic. btw, they do fillet with chips n salad for about 15 euro, cook it yourself at your table on lava rock, ooooohhhh. :)

Advertisement