Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in an estate - antisocial behaviour

• 03-11-2010 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am living in a private estate in Ennis and we seem to be having a serious enough problem with antisocial behaviour. (Abandoned cars, fights, garda raids etc)
    We have reformed our residents committee and are starting Neighbour Watch very soon, we had the gardai in to give us the talk etc.

There are a few eviction notices in effect at the moment. It has taken a lot of hasseling the landlords to get this done.

But we are hearing more and more that estates all over town are having the same problem! Are you living in such an estate, what are ye doing about it, if anything??

The more advice we can get the better!!!! Maybe we should unite in our efforts!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

maiden wrote: »
    Hi,

I am living in a private estate in Ennis and we seem to be having a serious enough problem with antisocial behaviour. (Abandoned cars, fights, garda raids etc)
    We have reformed our residents committee and are starting Neighbour Watch very soon, we had the gardai in to give us the talk etc.

There are a few eviction notices in effect at the moment. It has taken a lot of hasseling the landlords to get this done.

But we are hearing more and more that estates all over town are having the same problem! Are you living in such an estate, what are ye doing about it, if anything??

The more advice we can get the better!!!! Maybe we should unite in our efforts!!!

Unfortunately thats what happens in this country. One person will buy a house and spend the next 20+ years working and struggling to pay it. Then your next door neighbour will get it for free. Tough luck. Theres nothing you can do about it until you get lucky and get someone who actually needs welfare for genuine reasons moved into the problem houses. Sorry, speaking from experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Yeah thats maybe true, but we are not going to sit back and not do anything about it, not anymore!!

There are evictions in place, so hopefully this will be a start!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Sorry to hear about this maiden, I'm very lucky (touching wood) that I don't have these problems, where I live is very quiet and am never disturbed by anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Maplins! I know of two mates of mine who bought homes in estates in Ennis, won't say where but chances are they are reading this and may tell ye themselves, but they too were having problems with neighbors - some who moved in on their own, others who were placed by the council.

They have a brilliant camera system available for a couple hundred euro at Maplins that is amazing. It has night-vison, can be hooked to your broadband so you can watch it anywhere you have access to a web browser - even your mobile - and it records for a full week on a local hard drive, which isn't connected to the device and you can hide away elsewhere in the house.

The kit comes with four weatherproof cameras. Mount them around your house high up - make sure each one covers the next so you get good coverage and if anyone does try and take em out, you will have them on video.

Since they put em in the number of incidents that have happened around their homes has dropped down to NONE. They went from having their car windows shattered, people screaming in the car park at all hours, and fights outside their door to a nice quiet estate again.

It's amazing how quick people settle down once they know they are on camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

And while you're at it, throw up a couple of decoys as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Thanks for the replies!! Yeah a few of my neighbours have put up security cameras and the gardai have copied them a few times.

But still the problems exist.

I love the decoy one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

maiden wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies!! Yeah a few of my neighbours have put up security cameras and the gardai have copied them a few times.

But still the problems exist.

I love the decoy one!!

Wonder as you setup the residents committee, consider a group buy of the camera systems? Im sure you could get a significant discount, and if each house had a cctv system, can you imagine the difference it would make?

Advertisement